Home

MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

The high framerate option may make me buy a ps4 pro even if I don't plan to buy a 4k tv soon.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Glad I bought that 4K HDR TV last month. Makes sense to trade in my PS4 for a Pro when the game comes out. These devs should be proud--their game will end up selling me 2 consoles lol. MLB The Show is really the only game I play (aside from NCAA Football 14).

For those of you with older TVs who are gnashing your teeth about this graphics info, you can get a decent 4K TV with HDR for under $1000. I got mine for about $730. Certainly you could spend up to $2000 or even $3500 on a new TV if you have the budget for that.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24

I'll have to catch up and watch the archive when I get home tonight.

If someone doesn't mind spoiling the show a little for me.. Was anything discussed for those of us with PS4 Pro and a 1080p setup? I assume that the the "High frame rate mode" would be the only applicable mode? What about super-sampling?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
I'll have to catch up and watch the archive when I get home tonight.

If someone doesn't mind spoiling the show a little for me.. Was anything discussed for those of us with PS4 Pro and a 1080p setup? I assume that the the "High frame rate mode" would be the only applicable mode? What about super-sampling?
The impression that I get from the look of those menus is that HDR Mode isn't tied to the "Visual Options" choice, which means that 1080p's should be able to benefit from the enhanced visuals/frame rate options. But I can try to tweet Ramone about it.

Edit: Except that he's on stream so he probably won't be answering anything for awhile.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
The impression that I get from the look of those menus is that HDR Mode isn't tied to the "Visual Options" choice, which means that 1080p's should be able to benefit from the enhanced visuals/frame rate options. But I can try to tweet Ramone about it.

Edit: Except that he's on stream so he probably won't be answering anything for awhile.
My concern is for those of us with 1080p TVs that don't have HDR. We can't enable any of it.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
We won't know for sure until we have the game in our hands.

My assumption is that if you enable the 4k option, the game will render internally at 4k and the ps4 pro will spit out a 1080p signal to your tv. You'll benefit from a kind of increased anti aliasing. The edges will be sharper and look better than a 1080p image on the base ps4.

But the ps4 can do weird things, and the options could be locked out. Digital Foundry is a good resource for this, and they've seen a lot of different things with ps4 pro and 1080p TV's.

Last edited by Spokker; 03-16-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Okay, so this is still a little murky, but in the stream chat I got a "yes" from the SCEA account on this question:

@SonySanDiegoStudio, if you have a 1080p tv can you still benefit from the "Visual Mode" options on the Pro? (Just not HDR)

At the same time Ramone might have misunderstood my question a bit, because his answer on stream sounded like 1080p couldn't use it. But then he said that HDR Mode and Visual Mode are seperate options. So I don't think that being unable to use HDR mode (because of 1080p) would keep you from using the Visual Mode options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
My concern is for those of us with 1080p TVs that don't have HDR. We can't enable any of it.
Right. HDR is out for us (I'm in that group too). But the visual mode stuff (High Framerate, Enhanced Visuals) is in a separate section from HDR, and that's the part I wanted to get clarified.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »