Home

MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #481
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

4K is beautiful, but a bit shaky frame rate wise.

Enhanced mode isn't that far off visually and is a lot smoother.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #482
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingJones
4K is beautiful, but a bit shaky frame rate wise.

Enhanced mode isn't that far off visually and is a lot smoother.
After switching over for comparison sake I have to agree. In 4k mode the game just generally feels like it always has in my opinion. In enhanced visual mode it's graphically beautiful (not much drop off at all) but it's definitely smoother. Enhanced visuals is no doubt the best of both worlds.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 AM   #483
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 4 12
After switching over for comparison sake I have to agree. In 4k mode the game just generally feels like it always has in my opinion. In enhanced visual mode it's graphically beautiful (not much drop off at all) but it's definitely smoother. Enhanced visuals is no doubt the best of both worlds.

Sounds like this is gonna be the go-to this year

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #484
Pro

Playing on a 50 inch Vizio P-Series (2016 version). I play on a chair directly in front of the TV, about 5 feet away. The game will look sharper to you if you have a smaller TV and/or sit further away.

4K: Wow. Sharp as hell. Can't find jaggies unless I'm sending the feds after them. Frame rate is playable during gameplay, but I think I'm seeing sub-30 FPS during cut scenes. Judder during cut scenes almost seems like the whole screen is flashing or strobing. Use this mode for your screenshots. It hurts my eyes in motion.

Enhanced Visuals: Sharp on close ups but not as sharp as I would like for distant objects. I think they use a weak form of anti-aliasing. Gameplay seems very close to 60 FPS as the pitchers motion has a high degree of fluidity. Not too much judder when I press R3 and pan around. Cut scenes are closer to where you would expect them to be based on MLB 16's performance, with a similar amount of judder.

They said this mode would have similar performance as the base PS4 version, but it exceeds my expectations performance wise.

High frame rate mode: The holy grail. If you are used to the amount of jaggies this game has always had on PS4, you're all set. Feels like a locked 60 FPS with few compromises. No judder on throws across the diamond. On plays and cutscenes where the camera view is isolated to the field with little crowd, less than 60 FPS but mostly smooth. When the screen is mostly crowd, you start to see it dip and a little judder is introduced, but so improved. Other scenes will dip for no discernible reason I can tell. But gameplay is always smooth.

HDR: I set it in the middle and a night game at Wrigley Field looks very bright. Brighter than I'm used to. I will have to play around with this more. I lowered the brightness on my TV and it looks more natural.

The problem is that the input lag was killing me with pitching. It's 35ms in HDR mode vs. 17 on the fastest HDMI port w/o HDR. Small sample size, and I was using some AAA pitchers since the rosters expanded in my franchise, but I could rarely get a good pitch thrown. Hitting wasn't as affected. I won handily on Hall of Fame with double digit hits.

Last edited by Spokker; 03-28-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #485
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Thanks for your rundown, Spokker

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #486
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26
MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
Playing on a 50 inch Vizio P-Series (2016 version). I play on a chair directly in front of the TV, about 5 feet away. The game will look sharper to you if you have a smaller TV and/or sit further away.

4K: Wow. Sharp as hell. Can't find jaggies unless I'm sending the feds after them. Frame rate is playable during gameplay, but I think I'm seeing sub-30 FPS during cut scenes. Judder during cut scenes almost seems like the whole screen is flashing or strobing. Use this mode for your screenshots. It hurts my eyes in motion.

Enhanced Visuals: Sharp on close ups but not as sharp as I would like for distant objects. I think they use a weak form of anti-aliasing. Gameplay seems very close to 60 FPS as the pitchers motion has a high degree of fluidity. Not too much judder when I press R3 and pan around. Cut scenes are closer to where you would expect them to be based on MLB 16's performance, with a similar amount of judder.

They said this mode would have similar performance as the base PS4 version, but it exceeds my expectations performance wise.

High frame rate mode: The holy grail. If you are used to the amount of jaggies this game has always had on PS4, you're all set. Feels like a locked 60 FPS with few compromises. No judder on throws across the diamond. On plays and cutscenes where the camera view is isolated to the field with little crowd, less than 60 FPS but mostly smooth. When the screen is mostly crowd, you start to see it dip and a little judder is introduced, but so improved. Other scenes will dip for no discernible reason I can tell. But gameplay is always smooth.

HDR: I set it in the middle and a night game at Wrigley Field looks very bright. Brighter than I'm used to. I will have to play around with this more. I lowered the brightness on my TV and it looks more natural.

The problem is that the input lag was killing me with pitching. It's 35ms in HDR mode vs. 17 on the fastest HDMI port w/o HDR. Small sample size, and I was using some AAA pitchers since the rosters expanded in my franchise, but I could rarely get a good pitch thrown. Hitting wasn't as affected. I won handily on Hall of Fame with double digit hits.

It's actually almost 44ms of input lag with HDR on this set not 35.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #487
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
It's actually almost 44ms of input lag with HDR on this set not 35.
Yeah, it's tough. It used to be even higher but they got it down with a firmware update.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:42 AM   #488
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I gotta say I'm having trouble finding a good setting for HDR on my Sony X800D.

On my normal settings that I use with every other game, when HDR is on there is a white-washing look to everything.. like I'm seeing it through a white film. I turned the color all the way up and turned Live Color to high and that helped, but it still seems too white.

I know Philliesfan13 posted about this in the impressions thread. Just wondering if others with this TV are having the same issue, and if they can find settings that alleviate it. I had no problem with HDR in Horizon or Tomb Raider, so it seems to be specific to this game.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »