Home

Top 10 Players at Each Position in MLB The Show 17

This is a discussion on Top 10 Players at Each Position in MLB The Show 17 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #65
Banned

BDrizz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Top 10 Players at Each Position in MLB The Show 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Bryant is a better hitter and baserunner, Arenado is a better fielder. Bryant has accumulated more war over the past 2 seasons. He won mvp last year. How is he not a better 3B?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
He has not acquired more WAR at 3B... Last season was somewhere around the 3.8-4.2 range in 107 games at 3B....

And a lot of people think being the better fielder would make you a better 3B... Bryant may be a better hitter but he most certainly is not the better 3B.

I am going to ask a question, and it is going to come off ****ty but there is no other way to ask. I am not meaning it ****ty, I am just asking. Have you ever watched Arenado or do you watch him consistently? A lot of people outside of the Denver market scream "But COOOOOOOOOOOOOORS" and ignore most everything Rockies. Nolan makes plays that literally drop you jaw almost every game. He is incredible. I would never call the Cubs a favorite but I watched a lot of their games last year as I am a huge Dexter Fowler fan and there is no doubt Bryant is an incredible ALL AROUND player but he cannot make a lot of the plays Arenado does. Truthfully, Machado is the only other 3B in the game on Arenados level in my opinion. Bryant is 3rd followed by Donaldson.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #66
Banned

BDrizz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Bryant has an fWAR 3.2 above Arenado.

Opinion <> fact.

I love Arenado and would love him on my team...but not above Kris Bryant.
Not at 3B he doesnt... He spent 1/3 of his defensive innings last season in LF. You can't say he is the best at 3B because his WAR is so much higher yet 1/3 of his season wasn't at 3B...

Also, not sure where you got 3.2 ABOVE Arenado as Nolan had 6.5 WAR last season and Bryant had 7.7 total WAR.... That is not 3.2...
Old 03-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #67
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrizz
He has not acquired more WAR at 3B... Last season was somewhere around the 3.8-4.2 range in 107 games at 3B....

And a lot of people think being the better fielder would make you a better 3B... Bryant may be a better hitter but he most certainly is not the better 3B.

I am going to ask a question, and it is going to come off ****ty but there is no other way to ask. I am not meaning it ****ty, I am just asking. Have you ever watched Arenado or do you watch him consistently? A lot of people outside of the Denver market scream "But COOOOOOOOOOOOOORS" and ignore most everything Rockies. Nolan makes plays that literally drop you jaw almost every game. He is incredible. I would never call the Cubs a favorite but I watched a lot of their games last year as I am a huge Dexter Fowler fan and there is no doubt Bryant is an incredible ALL AROUND player but he cannot make a lot of the plays Arenado does. Truthfully, Machado is the only other 3B in the game on Arenados level in my opinion. Bryant is 3rd followed by Donaldson.
I've seen some sick highlight fielding plays by Arenado. But no I don't watch him constantly. It seems to me that you are punishing Bryant because he has played lf,cf,1b.

And yeah Coors is a big deal and his away splits were very underwealming. And considering Bryant is an above average third basemen, I'm going to take the guy who is a better hitter.

I think we just disagree on what we value at 3rd.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #68
Banned

BDrizz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I've seen some sick highlight fielding plays by Arenado. But no I don't watch him constantly. It seems to me that you are punishing Bryant because he has played lf,cf,1b.

And yeah Coors is a big deal and his away splits were very underwealming. And considering Bryant is an above average third basemen, I'm going to take the guy who is a better hitter.

I think we just disagree on what we value at 3rd.

I value my best players at the highest leverage positions. If Kris Bryant is my best player I don't want him in LF or at 1B or anywhere but his best position which seems to be 3B. And I am not punishing Bryant but I am certainly not going to give him credit as the best 3B when he played 1/3 of his season at positions other than 3B.... By that logic he is also the best OF in the game.

Last edited by BDrizz; 03-17-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #69
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Not at 3B he doesnt... He spent 1/3 of his defensive innings last season in LF. You can't say he is the best at 3B because his WAR is so much higher yet 1/3 of his season wasn't at 3B...
I'll stipulate that Bryant's WAR is a composite of both the OF and 3B but let's not act like it's inflating his stats, unlike Colorado is with Arenado. (see what I did there? ).

We'll agree to disagree...I think Arenado is a great player just like I think Freddie Freeman is a great player, whom I wouldn't have over any other 1B.

Quote:
Also, not sure where you got 3.2 ABOVE Arenado as Nolan had 6.5 WAR last season and Bryant had 7.7 total WAR.... That is not 3.2...
Fangraphs.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #70
Just started!

estee1977's Arena

Arenado won the Silver Slugger award in 2015 and 2016 which goes to the best offensive player and is determined by coaches and managers in MLB. So that tells me how coaches and managers view his offensive skill. Couple that with the fact that he's won 4 straight Gold Gloves and was the Wilson Defensive Player of the Year in 2015 and 2016 as well. I don't know how you can't call him the best pure 3B in Baseball. Also, if you're going to use the Coors Field as a handicap, then any Rockies pitcher who wins 20 games should automatically win the Cy Young award, yes? Love this debate!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #71
Banned

BDrizz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I'll stipulate that Bryant's WAR is a composite of both the OF and 3B but let's not act like it's inflating his stats, unlike Colorado is with Arenado. (see what I did there? ).

We'll agree to disagree...I think Arenado is a great player just like I think Freddie Freeman is a great player, whom I wouldn't have over any other 1B.

Fangraphs.
I am not saying it was inflated but you can't lump all it all together and call him the BEST 3B based of his WAR that has 1/3 of a season at different positions.

Do different agencies calculate WAR in different ways? The numbers I quoted are from Baseball Reference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #72
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Do different agencies calculate WAR in different ways? The numbers I quoted are from Baseball Reference.
Yes, I don't get it either. It ought to be a universal statistic...even MLB Show has their own calculation.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »