Home

Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #193
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread

Squad is very right-handed...I wonder if a slugging lefty bat is in your future...

I'm also a little disappointed that your OF is only 2/3 fishy if you take my meaning. Can't you resurrect Mike Carp's career and platoon him?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #194
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Squad is very right-handed...I wonder if a slugging lefty bat is in your future...

I'm also a little disappointed that your OF is only 2/3 fishy if you take my meaning. Can't you resurrect Mike Carp's career and platoon him?
I had something typed up and lost it, and had exactly that sentience in there but forgot about it. You are in my head sir.

And yes, I think a left handed slugger is going to be on the list because I noticed that it’s right heavy too.

You don’t care where I sent this from

- Rick Wise
Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #195
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

Update: 6 games in and they are 3-3. I traded hoskins to the Indians for Travis Shaw; faster, better defense, and left handed at third base is a huge boon for this team. he is in a major slump but once I change his swing follow through to two handed like its supposed to be I bet he pulls out of it.

I’m actually amazed at the wins. Other than Martinez ( who is a machine after two starts) the other pitchers haven’t been that good. And until this last game mike trout had two hits out of about 17 at bats. Yadier is raking, Pollock is getting on base like crazy, and Kendrick is a singles machine right now.

The biggest surprise is Zach Walters. He is hitting about .400 and has been on base more than he has been out, drawing three walks in one game alone. If he keeps hitting, his versatility may be what keeps this team afloat. Like a power hitting Zobrist, he is the glue that can really complete a team.

You don’t care where I sent this from

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #196
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Now 20 games into Spring Training. Sitting with a 10-10 record resulting from a variety of games and slider tinkering.

Trout is pacing my team with 9 homers even though he's hovering around a .230 batting average. Partly due to slider issues, partly due to bad luck and a lot of at 'em balls. I expect him to be ok.

Unfortunately the thing you don't want to have happen in exhibition games did happen with Josh Bell tearing his calf (out 1-2 months) sliding back into 1st base on a ball in the dirt. Was considering inserting Michael Morse or Dominic Smith as the interim primary DH (Bell's spot), but I decided to plug Kike Hernandez in at SS, move Baez to 3B, and Lamb to DH until Bell gets back. I think this alignment gives me more options. Also get to save Dom Smith's service time that way.

Alex Reyes is looking ace-ish in the rotation. One game he got the first 11 outs via strikeout and he's had a couple of near immaculate innings (10-pitch strikeout-of-the-side instead of 9). Reyes has 38 Ks in 21 spring innings, so, yeah, good.

In the bullpen, Ryne Stanek hasn't given up a run in 12.1 IP. Hader (5.14 ERA), Strickland (8.64 ERA), and Archie Bradley (10.13 ERA) haven't been quite as good.

I think I'm near having locked-in sliders (which, let's be honest, is the main reason to play ST games) and I have 10-15 more games to make sure. Will also be nice to shed these ugly, nameless ST uniforms and go with the classic Tigers' home whites. And, of course, play some ballgames at Comerica instead of generic Grapefruit League stadium or whatever.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #197
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

Update: 19 games in, the team is very streaky (translation: I'm very streaky). pitching has been consistent after the rocky start, the offense is slumping HARD. AJ Pollock can't hit a darn thing and Walters has cooled considerably since the beginning. But the team has a winning record of 10-9, so I'm not complaining.

We had an early call-up. Danny Espinosa laid out and made an incredible diving play on a ball up the middle, and tore his MCL in the process. So he is out for the year. So Paul Dejong made his debut by looping a double into no man's land in right field. He's been very cold since but I hope he'll turn it around.

Travis Shaw saw his average dip below .100 for a brief moment and then started driving the ball and some of those grounders started rolling through. Piscotty is as snakebit as they come right now, it seems every out is a hard ball somewhere, so I think he'll pull out of it. Kendrick has settled into the .265 or better range, Trout is low at .260, which I think will even out, the power is still there, so I'm not worried.

The surprise of the year is Tyler White. He is playing himself into consideration for the starting lineup. He's second on the team in home runs and RBI's and doesn't start. I think if Walters keeps dipping he may get moved to first pretty soon.

Carlos Martinez is just mowing guys down in April. He is 4-0 with a 1.2something ERA and 34 K's. Being the Ace I envisioned in future years already. Osuna has lost 2 decision, but not blown a save, he's 6/6, so that's great.

Overall, not entirely thrilled with the performance, but I think it'll even out, and if I can be a game or two over .500 playing poorly, I'm pretty OK with that.

- Rick Wise
Old 09-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #198
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Update: 19 games in, the team is very streaky (translation: I'm very streaky). pitching has been consistent after the rocky start, the offense is slumping HARD. AJ Pollock can't hit a darn thing and Walters has cooled considerably since the beginning. But the team has a winning record of 10-9, so I'm not complaining.

We had an early call-up. Danny Espinosa laid out and made an incredible diving play on a ball up the middle, and tore his MCL in the process. So he is out for the year. So Paul Dejong made his debut by looping a double into no man's land in right field. He's been very cold since but I hope he'll turn it around.

Travis Shaw saw his average dip below .100 for a brief moment and then started driving the ball and some of those grounders started rolling through. Piscotty is as snakebit as they come right now, it seems every out is a hard ball somewhere, so I think he'll pull out of it. Kendrick has settled into the .265 or better range, Trout is low at .260, which I think will even out, the power is still there, so I'm not worried.

The surprise of the year is Tyler White. He is playing himself into consideration for the starting lineup. He's second on the team in home runs and RBI's and doesn't start. I think if Walters keeps dipping he may get moved to first pretty soon.

Carlos Martinez is just mowing guys down in April. He is 4-0 with a 1.2something ERA and 34 K's. Being the Ace I envisioned in future years already. Osuna has lost 2 decision, but not blown a save, he's 6/6, so that's great.

Overall, not entirely thrilled with the performance, but I think it'll even out, and if I can be a game or two over .500 playing poorly, I'm pretty OK with that.

Ironically Tyler White is always hitting well for me in a platoon type role on my Cardinals fantasy draft team from MLB 16 which I carried over to 17.

Guy can flat out hit.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 09-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #199
Pro

J_smith2190's Arena

OVR: 0

After a hiatus, I have found my way back to the show, and back on the forums. Hope y'all are all doing well. With that being said...here we go.

Made In Miami

I had the 21st Overall Pick (I believe), and I feel like I came out with a way better team than I had hoped. My first 5 picks in order were: 1 - David Price, 2- Michael Fulmer, 3- Jason Kipnis, 4- Adrian Beltre, 5- Kelvin Herrera.

Heres a look at our depth-chart:

Marlins - Opening Day Depth Chart - 2017
  • Catcher
  • Tyler Flowers (R)
  • Sandy Leon (S)
  • First Base
  • Greg Bird (L)
  • Second Base
  • Jason Kipnis (L)
  • Ryan Flaherty (L)
  • Third Base
  • Adrian Beltre (R)
  • Shortstop
  • Chris Owings (R)
  • Adam Rosales (R)
  • Left Field
  • Steve Pearce (R)
  • Center Field
  • Jackie Bradley Jr. (L)
  • Austin Jackson (R)
  • Right Field
  • Alex Presley (L)
  • Andrew Romine (R)
  • Starting Pitcher
  • David Price (L)
  • Michael Fulmer (R)
  • Marco Estrada (R)
  • Robbie Erlin (L)
  • Chad Kuhl (R)
  • Relief Pitcher
  • Archie Bradley (R)
  • Tony Watson (L)
  • Jacob Barnes (R)
  • Aaron Loup (L)
  • Brandon Morrow (R)
  • Mike Pelfrey (R)
  • Closer
  • Kelvin Herrera (R)

Lineup

CF Bradley (L)
SS Owings (R)
2B Kipnis (L)
3B Beltre (R)
1B Bird (L)
LF Pearce (R)
C Flowers (R)
RF Presley (L) / RF Andrew Romine (R)
- Pitcher -

Prospects Of Note

3B Nick Senzel (R) 21 yrs / 69 Ovr / A Pot
LF Adam Frazier (L) 25 yrs / 73 Ovr / B Pot
CF Dalton Pompey (S), 24yrs / 68 Ovr / B Pot

*I have no other prospects over a C potential rating*

Outlook / Going Foward

As I said, I am very pleased with how this team turned out. The starters should hold up well, as I feel like my top 3 is as good as anyone's in the league. The bullpen is looking like it can be extremely dangerous, with a nice mix of youth and veterans. Offensively we should hold our own, with the combo of speed & power. One player to keep an eye on is Nick Senzel, who will start the year in AAA. The heir apparent to Beltre, Senzel will need to live up to his potential, or were gonna have a major hole in the lineup when Beltre retires.

Thoughts?

Phillies Fantasy Franchise - Opening Day
Old 09-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #200
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

It's the last update for a while, I dropped my PS4 off with my buddy in exchange for his Wii U so I can play Zelda while he plays Kingdom Hearts (and Ratchet and Clank and like 4 Star Wars games).

Nonetheless, I got one more game in today, and it was a win! The team is 15-12 (if not exactly then only one game away from there).

Notable things that happened, Fish Sticks (Pollock) couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, so I traded him for Adam Eaton, who I had remembered passing up in the draft. He's left handed, and has been on base more often than not since joining the club. As soon as I got him the offense starting clicking, as he was on base 5 times in his home debut with his new club.

Tyler White is how hitting 5th, and if it wasn't for Travis Shaw's timely hitting he would be batting 4th. he has raised his average .100 points in what amounts to a week and has as many RBI as Trout and almost as many as Shaw. In the game I just played, he had two hits and is now hitting over .300. The man is a machine.

Speaking of Trout, he is in an unholy slump right now. He can hit nothing. The average is flirting with Mr. Mendoza and when he does hit they're flying right at guys. He's still got 7 homers and 14 RBI, so I'm not too worried, but he needs to get going, I'm counting on a lot of runs from him, let alone the RBI. Just to show how unlucky he's been, just this past game he checked a swing at a nasty inside slider that ended up somehow going between his legs and not hitting him.

Travis Shaw, on the other hand, is on a tear.

Ichiro is a great surprise, hitting almost .400 and slugging well too.

Carlos Martinez is 6-0 and has a Bob Gibson-esque ERA. He is untouchable.

I'm really glad with that pick number I got, because Roberto Osuna has 10/11 saves and without it I don't get him. But the real heroes out of the pen has been Matt Bush and Jerry Blevins. Bush is K'ing guys at a fantastic rate and Blevins is yet to give up a run.

All in all, for as anemic as the offense has been, the pitching has been just as good. Without it I am probably 6 or more games back at this point. As it stands, I am 1 back.

- Rick Wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »