Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Just a fair warning to all those looking for tips about fielding: I've considered myself a bit of a fielding guru in the Show. It's definitely my strongest aspect of my game, and I've been able to work out the quirks of the system fairly quickly.

This year feels entirely different. I'm going to need some time to truly figure out how this system works.

With that being said, it seems like feathering is still a good tool (easing up on the stick, then doing slight adjustments if you have time), and knowing when to try and set yourself under a ball or slow up and go for a running catch is more important than ever now. At least that's been my experience so far. Pre-loading seems a little more forgiving now too, unlike before where you basically had to pre-load once the ball left the bat.

CPU controlled fielding seems much improved this year as well, if you want to go with the auto-fielding option. I've tried my usual baserunning shenanigans, and stuff that used to work in 16 has gotten me thrown out every single time.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #18
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

How in the world can you tell a changeup from a fastball? I am horrid at recognizing changeups.

Last edited by JayD; 03-30-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #19
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
One thing that has helped me is switching cameras. I do a custom one where I move the hitting box so the outside is splitting the pitcher half way and then move it down so that top or the edge of the corner is stting on the top of the outfield wall. (Might need to set this up in one of the minor league fields that have normal walls all around.)

Helps me see the angle of pitch coming in much better. Don't know if it was coincidence, but realized I hadn't switched my camera halfway through a DD game I was doing. Switched camera and hit back to back HRs right after the switch.
That sounds cool. Would you be able to post a pic of that setup, by chance?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #20
Rookie

I'm not sure if I'm on the right board so a redirect would be appreciated if not. Is there a way to currently get the other gold/diamond mission starters that i didn't receive at launch? Will these be released gradually over time?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
MVP

PhlliesPhan6's Arena

OVR: 2

So, I see a lot of people posting that they are giving up and hitting a lot of HRs. The giving up part I have covered but I'm playing on Veteran Hitting and I am not hitting any HRs. Is everyone that's hitting a lot of HRs using Power Swing to hit them? Or just doing a normal swing and making good enough contact for them to go out? 95% of the time I'm just doing a normal swing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

My pitcher got injured, and Matty V. even made the normal mention that announcers make that a reliever would get "as much time as possible" to come into the game.

When I put in another pitcher though, he was cold. I gave him his eight warm-up pitches, but after that he was still in the "cold" territory.

Just curious if there is another way to remedy this outside of turning off the Warm-Up Pitchers option before the injury (note that once injured the game brings you to the bullpen screen, and one cannot pause from there).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
MVP

Someone educate me on the Player Quirk "Platoon", what does "one handeness" mean?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #24
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlliesPhan6
So, I see a lot of people posting that they are giving up and hitting a lot of HRs. The giving up part I have covered but I'm playing on Veteran Hitting and I am not hitting any HRs. Is everyone that's hitting a lot of HRs using Power Swing to hit them? Or just doing a normal swing and making good enough contact for them to go out? 95% of the time I'm just doing a normal swing.
Is this directional? In directional, I almost never use power swing (less than 1%) and I see a good amount of home runs.

I haven't played around with any of the other interfaces this year, but I know from previous years that home runs can be difficult with pure analog.

If you're using directional, make sure to play to your hitter's strengths. Pull with pull hitters, push with push hitters, etc. In general pull produces more power, but each direction has a benefit and a cost. I'll elaborate if asked.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-30-2017 at 09:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »