Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Someone educate me on the Player Quirk "Platoon", what does "one handeness" mean?
It just means that a batter is relatively much weaker against either lefties or righties and should share the position (platoon) with another player that makes up for that weakness. Just look at the player in question's contact/power splits and it should be obvious. Nomar Mazara and Kyle Schwarber have classic platoon splits, although neither of them will platoon in real life...
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
So I know this is a question with a lot of different answers, but anyone want to give some advice for directional hitting noobs. I mean like I typically use contact swings when I'm down 2 strikes, I use normal swings the rest of the time, and I almost never use a power swing. Anyone have other strategies worth trying?

Only use power swing if you are trying to pop out to the pitcher! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #35
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
One thing that has helped me is switching cameras. I do a custom one where I move the hitting box so the outside is splitting the pitcher half way and then move it down so that top or the edge of the corner is stting on the top of the outfield wall. (Might need to set this up in one of the minor league fields that have normal walls all around.)

Helps me see the angle of pitch coming in much better. Don't know if it was coincidence, but realized I hadn't switched my camera halfway through a DD game I was doing. Switched camera and hit back to back HRs right after the switch.
Anyway you could post a picture or even a video on how you set your camera up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #36
Just started!

Long time lurker here. So I'm enjoying the game so far, but my hitting is atrocious. I use player lock with Manny Machado, and 10 games in I'm hitting .125. I'm using Armor & Sword & Marino's sliders, as to make it more realistic, but I flat out stink. Any advice on how to become a better hitter is greatly appreciated. I really like to game but am getting frustrated with my lack of hitting skills.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHarvin1
Long time lurker here. So I'm enjoying the game so far, but my hitting is atrocious. I use player lock with Manny Machado, and 10 games in I'm hitting .125. I'm using Armor & Sword & Marino's sliders, as to make it more realistic, but I flat out stink. Any advice on how to become a better hitter is greatly appreciated. I really like to game but am getting frustrated with my lack of hitting skills.
Honestly, I think using Dynamic Difficulty could help. Every time this game releases, I spend some time working up the levels in DD until I get used to whatever camera setup I settle on, and until I get used to the timing and trajectory of pitches in that year's game.

You may find that starting on a lower level and working your way up gradually helps you acclimate to hitting in this year's game. You may also find that in this year's game, you're really not an All Star hitter. Maybe you're close, but maybe you get realistic stats via DD at one of the + levels of Veteran.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #38
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Honestly, I think using Dynamic Difficulty could help. Every time this game releases, I spend some time working up the levels in DD until I get used to whatever camera setup I settle on, and until I get used to the timing and trajectory of pitches in that year's game.

You may find that starting on a lower level and working your way up gradually helps you acclimate to hitting in this year's game. You may also find that in this year's game, you're really not an All Star hitter. Maybe you're close, but maybe you get realistic stats via DD at one of the + levels of Veteran.
Thanks for your response, Trojan Man. I think you're right -- I' m going to switch to DD and try to get the hang of hitting from there. I probably should have done that from the beginning, but I tried to get cute with the sliders, lol. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for your response.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 10

Welcome to the Bigs, rook! LOL That's supposed to be hard. Sliders are my Kryptonite. I freakin' FLAIL at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
How in the world can you tell a changeup from a fastball? I am horrid at recognizing changeups.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #40
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHarvin1
Using Dynamic difficulty like Trojan Man suggested might help, but also consider that you just might not be compatible with Machado's swing. It's happened a few times on the forums, where an OP is posting frustrations at their RttS or player locked season because they just can't hit, and it turns out to be their players swing that's the problem. Certain swings can just throw people off.

Hopefully not though, since you're obviously a Machado fan if you're player locking him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »