Home

3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is!

This is a discussion on 3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0
3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is!

The more I play MLB The Show 17 the more I realize just how bad the CPU AI manager decisions are.

I was playing a game between the Phillies and the Red Sox and the CPU did 2 things in the game that really had me scratching my head. The first one was the CPU had the bases loaded with no body out and on the very first pitch to the batter the man on third try's to steel home. The batter took the pitch and I just held onto the ball for the easy tag out at home plate. I mean I am happy I got him out but seriously how often in real baseball would the man on third try and steel home with the bases loaded and no body out? And then the other strange thing I saw was the CPU getting up not 1 but 2 pitchers in the bullpen while the starting pitcher had only thrown 45 pitches in the 5th and throwing a perfect game. Why in the world would the manager feel the need to warm up 2 pitchers while his starting pitcher is throwing a perfect game in the 5th inning with only 45 pitches thrown so far? And then of course you guys already know about the CPU trying a suicide squeeze with the bases loaded often in this game.

This is just a sample of some of the dumb things the CPU AI does in this game. I really hope for MLB The Show 18 Sony makes "CPU AI decisions" it's number 1 priority!!!

As a 10 veteran of MLB The Show and baseball sim lover I just can not put up with this crap much longer!

Last edited by tnixen; 07-15-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is!

when I see headscratchers like these, all I can do is rationalise the opposing managers strategy.
I wonder if the first example was a failed suicide squeeze where the batter missed the sign.
the second example I just say to myself the pitcher must have tweaked an arm muscle and the bullpen is acting accordingly.
It drives me batsh** crazy trying to find plausible reasons for the opposing managers thought process. I hate those bases loaded suicide squeeze scenarios. Thankfully I dont see them too often. Since I dont guess these issues will be addressed in a path this year, maybe they willbe fixed for 18
*crosses fingers*

A Work in Progress
Old 07-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

The cpu warming pitchers up in the bullpen around the 5th or 6th despite how well the starter may be throwing has been in the game for as long as I can remember. I honestly don't pay any attention to it. If all they are doing is warming up and not coming in, I don't really see the big deal in it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
The more I play MLB The Show 17 the more I realize just how bad the CPU AI manager decisions are.

I was playing a game between the Phillies and the Red Sox and the CPU did 2 things in the game that really had me scratching my head. The first one was the CPU had the bases loaded with no body out and on the very first pitch to the batter the man on third try's to steel home. The batter took the pitch and I just held onto the ball for the easy tag out at home plate. I mean I am happy I got him out but seriously how often in real baseball would the man on third try and steel home with the bases loaded and no body out? And then the other strange thing I saw was the CPU getting up not 1 but 2 pitchers in the bullpen while the starting pitcher had only thrown 45 pitches in the 5th and throwing a perfect game. Why in the world would the manager feel the need to warm up 2 pitchers while his starting pitcher is throwing a perfect game in the 5th inning with only 45 pitches thrown so far? And then of course you guys already know about the CPU trying a suicide squeeze with the bases loaded often in this game.

This is just a sample of some of the dumb things the CPU AI does in this game. I really hope for MLB The Show 18 Sony makes "CPU AI decisions" it's number 1 priority!!!

As a 10 veteran of MLB The Show and baseball sim lover I just can not put up with this crap much longer!
Do you happen to recall who was on 3rd base at the time trying to steal home? and if u do remember can you look at his base running aggressiveness and report back?

I think it would be nice if in MLB THE SHOW 18 we could finally edit managers but also coaches. It also would be nice if we do get to edit them next year each coach had some kind of tendencies and the players follow there coaches demands on some kind of % we get to set ourselves. Editable managers with play style or managing scheme would be nice to have.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
Do you happen to recall who was on 3rd base at the time trying to steal home? and if u do remember can you look at his base running aggressiveness and report back?

I think it would be nice if in MLB THE SHOW 18 we could finally edit managers but also coaches. It also would be nice if we do get to edit them next year each coach had some kind of tendencies and the players follow there coaches demands on some kind of % we get to set ourselves. Editable managers with play style or managing scheme would be nice to have.
@Houston,

Yes this would be a fantastic idea for the coaches attributes to effect game play! But its also something that should have been impleneted many show iterations ago! Base coaches seem to have no impact and are just there to add a realism piece to the game. This MLB The Show series has been around for a long time + current gen itterations. I would like to see more gameplay fundaments less modes! Got to get the foundation right first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston

Unfortunately I do not remember who was on third when trying to steel home but it was a Red Sox player.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Rookie

Unfortunately there are one or two legacy issues with base running that for whatever reason have not been fully fixed by the devs.

The over aggressiveness by the CPU or the by the user when playing with auto base running is a real killer for me. The amount of times players get caught trying to take extra bases, when they have no right to try or in a situation that doesn't make sense is unbelievable.

This has been going on for a few years now and I'm sure it started when they replaced the base running ability attribute with stealing instead. Whether there used to be a relationship between BR ability and BR agg that has now changed for the worse with the move to a stealing attribute, I don't know.

Cody Bellinger caught out - also shows some dodgy fielding!!

More dodgy base running and the pitcher still getting hit too often!!

Then there's the drunken base running that first appeared last year!!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Lets not forget about the AI allowing their starting pitcher hit then you see a reliever come in the next inning

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »