Home

What is with the minor league pitchers?

This is a discussion on What is with the minor league pitchers? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #25
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: What is with the minor league pitchers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegut
I wasn't aware of that. I'll do some searches to see if that clarifies my issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah I tried searching the forums, but unfortunately I couldn't find the exact post from one of the devs.

But I keep thinking this was an issue last year and that was the explanation that was given.

If I'm able to find that post, I'll be sure to post it here.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #26
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSacamano
This has been an issue with this game for generations now. It used to be 100 MPH fastballs followed by 68 MPH knucklers, but thankfully that situation has been remedied.

I don't know the exact cause, but I've long suspected that it's due to the computer throwing every pitch "max effort". So a guy who CAN hit 99 most likely WILL hit 99 frequently. And his change-up that CAN dip as low as 83 WILL come in at that speed. In real life, that guy might be sitting 96-97 with his change-up clocking in around 85 mph.

The real problem is that, in real life, there are certain tip-offs that help the batter that simply cannot exist in the video game world (yet). Namely, a batter can the pitcher's read arm action, the spin of the ball, and the pitcher's hand coming out of the glove. The video game batter doesn't really have the same luxury. Instead, we have to kind of figure out whether the pitch is a fastball or changeup or breaking ball based on the visual cue or the pitch's movement. When there is a great disparity between fastball speed and changeup speed, there simply is no time to react once you've read the visual cues. It's basically a guessing game. I've heard rumors of players who can read a pitcher's spin out of the hand in the Show, so maybe I need a much bigger TV or something.

This reason is why I'd really love if the Show offered a "Hitter's Eye" option a la MVP. I know it's video gamey, but it is a video game after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Your theory does make sense.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #27
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yeah I tried searching the forums, but unfortunately I couldn't find the exact post from one of the devs.

But I keep thinking this was an issue last year and that was the explanation that was given.

Thank you!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't mind their stuff being "too good" for their level, frankly I don't want to get used to pitchers with crap velocity and control...But what does drive me crazy is their repertoire. In the Bowman scout game or whatever before the draft the starter had FIVE different pitches. That's nonsense and far too common in the minors in these games.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #29
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I thought I had heard that as well about the speed difference. I dont agree with it being done that way, but it does seem they did it on purpose.

Its actually been a issue for as long as I can remember with this game, on speed differences between FB and Changeup.

I thought thats what the slider for off speed pitch was for, so if you want you can speed up the offspeed pitches froma visual aspect, to make it look closer to the velocity of the FB.
So I would think adjusting that slider would fix this issue atleats somewhat, unless you play online then I guess it wouldnt be of any help.

The OSFM roster will fix the issue of pitchers having to much of a difference between FB and offspeed pitches. So 1 way or the other it will get fixed, but I do wish the devs did a better job with the making of the MILB players. I know most of us use OSFM, so its not a huge deal for most of us, but there are some who just start franchise mode as soon as they get the game, so for them it would be nice if they got better fake players in their farm systems without editing them.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »