Home

How do franchise budgets work this year?

This is a discussion on How do franchise budgets work this year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #65
Pro

KayOtic723's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How do franchise budgets work this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingirish595
So any ideas why my max offer is 1.35 mil and I offer a contract that is .35 mil but then it says I can't afford it when I go to the next day

Do have pending players eligible for arbitration or contract renewal? I have a detailed way step by step to go through the offseason so you won't run out of money if you have 1.35 max offer and only 50 people signed to your team you gotta spread it out to fill the required players. What's the date? Are you passed the rule 5 draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #66
Rookie

fightingirish595's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayOtic723
Do have pending players eligible for arbitration or contract renewal? I have a detailed way step by step to go through the offseason so you won't run out of money if you have 1.35 max offer and only 50 people signed to your team you gotta spread it out to fill the required players. What's the date? Are you passed the rule 5 draft?

The date is just right after free agency starts. No pending offers. I squared away all the resignings I had too. I have a post 2 pages back detailing my different tests
Old 04-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #67
MVP

Question - if I accumulate a surplus of cash during the season does it carry over to the off season or do I lose it at the end of the season?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Question - if I accumulate a surplus of cash during the season does it carry over to the off season or do I lose it at the end of the season?

The bank gets reset to 5mil before the offseason starts. But that extra money you accumulated gets added to "team revenue" which affects your spending power during the offseason.

I can't tell you exactly how the math works but I know that your performance affects your "team revenue"

I just simmed 2017 with the Braves. They won about 65 games and accumulated about 24mil in the bank. Their team revenue went from 4.5mil at the end of regular season to 5mil at the beginning of the offseason.

Then I started over and chose the Braves again. I raised all players to 99 overall. They won 100 games and made it to the World Series. They had 32mil in the bank at end of reg season and 36mil at end of post season.

Their team revenue was 5mil at end of regular season (500k higher than the 65 win team) and 5.9mil at beginning of regular season (900k higher than the 65 win team).

So basically the competitive team had more money to spend at the trade deadline and even more money to spend in the off season.

I think it would make more sense if all the extra money just sat in the bank because if you've already saved it from previous weeks, it's not really "revenue." But this new system has more detail than 2016 and you don't just get arbitrary increases.

Now the question is, are the increases still too large? I continued on the default rated franchise (65 win team) into 2019. My contract expired with the Braves and I was offered contracts by 4 teams. All team budgets were over $140mil for 2020 season, including the Royals and Mariners.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #69
Banned

So... I just checked and $140mil is about the league average for 2017 so it's totally realistic for most teams to be at or above that level for the 2020 season.

Pretty excited about this new system even though it could have been laid out better.

Hope it's just the beginning of a much deeper budget system for 2018.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #70
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilli4
The bank gets reset to 5mil before the offseason starts. But that extra money you accumulated gets added to "team revenue" which affects your spending power during the offseason.

I can't tell you exactly how the math works but I know that your performance affects your "team revenue"

I just simmed 2017 with the Braves. They won about 65 games and accumulated about 24mil in the bank. Their team revenue went from 4.5mil at the end of regular season to 5mil at the beginning of the offseason.

Then I started over and chose the Braves again. I raised all players to 99 overall. They won 100 games and made it to the World Series. They had 32mil in the bank at end of reg season and 36mil at end of post season.

Their team revenue was 5mil at end of regular season (500k higher than the 65 win team) and 5.9mil at beginning of regular season (900k higher than the 65 win team).

So basically the competitive team had more money to spend at the trade deadline and even more money to spend in the off season.

I think it would make more sense if all the extra money just sat in the bank because if you've already saved it from previous weeks, it's not really "revenue." But this new system has more detail than 2016 and you don't just get arbitrary increases.

Now the question is, are the increases still too large? I continued on the default rated franchise (65 win team) into 2019. My contract expired with the Braves and I was offered contracts by 4 teams. All team budgets were over $140mil for 2020 season, including the Royals and Mariners.

Thanks for the reply. I use a low payroll team in my franchise for the challenge but it sounds like in two or three years every team is fat with cash.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Thanks for the reply. I use a low payroll team in my franchise for the challenge but it sounds like in two or three years every team is fat with cash.

It might be better than The Show '16 but Budget still seems to grow somewhat arbitrarily for the under-performing teams.

Braves budget increased by more than 10% after a 65 win season. Of course this is possible but if it happens every year then after a few seasons there is a lot of cash floating around.

But the big market teams will still have more power. I tried to sign Harper and Machado with the Braves and they signed elsewhere, even though I had the budget to make a good offer.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingirish595
The date is just right after free agency starts. No pending offers. I squared away all the resignings I had too. I have a post 2 pages back detailing my different tests
I found a great tip from someone on this forum that has really helped me out. Right after you enter free agency (after you've already made offers to everyone you plan on keeping) got to your roster management and release everybody you plan on letting go. For some reason this works and I have been able to sign pretty much at least two guys I want every year. I think the game counts potential deals against your budget until the deadline where everyone becomes a free agent (December 2nd I think)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »