Home

Too many HR's?

This is a discussion on Too many HR's? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #409
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Too many HR's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
FWIW, the description text for the slider hasn't changed since then.
I didn't even know they had descriptions.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #410
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I didn't even know they had descriptions.
Yeah - right above the slider list.

The description reads:

"Adjusts the percent of a CPU's pitches that land for strikes on early counts. Shifting this to the right increases strikes. This impacts the CPU's strategy, and could potentially make the CPU pitch poorly."

Further, the game defines "Early counts" as 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1 in the in-game strategy guide.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #411
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I can't confirm from my small sample size from way back in MLB '09: The Show, but I believe that Pitcher Control affects a pitcher's ability to paint strikes on the black, and Pitcher Consistency affects a pitcher's ability to paint strikes off the black.

So if you bump up Pitcher Control to 10 and lower Pitcher Consistency to 0, your strikes will be borderline and the balls will be way off. In a way, no meatballs.

Strike Frequency affects exactly that... the frequency at which the pitcher will throw strikes. That being said, I already have that at 1. 1 or 2 is the right number for this game, IMO. Always has been.
Sort of yes. The pitching calcs dice rolls have a near miss and far miss aspect to them. Control affects the near misses, while Consistency affects the far misses. I guess you can view it as precision vs accuracy

Control also has a relationship with Contact. For example, Contact at 0 and Control at 10 will allow the pitcher to have more blow bys swing and misses, and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 AM   #412
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Finally dove into my franchise tonight. And while it's a small sample size obviously, I'm hoping that I'm just off to a ridiculously hot start.

In three games against the Cardinals I hit 10 home runs.

Schwarber had 5 of them. Given, I'm the Cubs and that's not entirely out of the realm of believeabily, however in the last game Miguel Montero hit a pair of bombs of his own.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly concerned that the game's a little home run happy this year.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #413
RLB
Rookie

RLB's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I think I just ended the "what causes long HR's" argument, and I thought you guys might be interested as well since it does have an impact on the frequency too:

Wind is 22 MPH to dead center, boosted from 11 thanks to maxing the slider. And it sent normally long HR's into a low orbit. I did this for pretty much 15 minutes and it was just moonshot after moonshot if I got any height at all. I did record all that if anyone's really curious, but on my internet it would probably take hours to upload.

Before this it did seem like zeroing the slider had a big impact on the distance of HR's I was hitting, and now I've seen what happens when you max it.
Well, after 20 or so games in spring training with my Cardinals I went ahead and started my AL franchise and decided to take the Royals this year. Every game this year I have usually had the wind blowing in and the very few times it has blown out has been very light.

Game #10 in spring training with the Royals @ Cincinnati I had the wind blowing out toward left-center at 12 mph. A little history, 9 games with the Royals.....10 team homers, the Cardinals I am averaging under 1 homer per game.

Back to game 10......I'm buying in to the wind theory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.jpg (386.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #414
Pro

OVR: 24

So is wind the prevailing theory on this? I'm hitting like 4-7 HRs a game. I'd probably hit more if I wanted to but I tend to lay off the power button given how easy it is.

And now that I think about it, the wind has been blowing out in literally all my games thus far.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #415
Pro

Stolm's Arena

OVR: 0

Hit Back to Back to Back Home Runs in back to back innings in an online game earlier today with Rice, Rizzo, and Daniel Murphy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 AM   #416
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I do think the wind is playing a factor in HRs, but it does IRL as well. I personally havent had any game, where I thought there was a ridiculous amount of HRs being hit by me or the CPU.

Im also using dynamic difficutly, so Im not nearly as good at hitting as most of you guys are, so maybe thats why, I dont have a issue.

I have had games where wind is blowing in, and a good hit ball ends up dying out, as it does IRL,

Personally I think the wind is acting like it should for the most part. It may be having a slight more impact than it would IRL at times with Hr's, but again not nothing ridiculous.

Personally I thought it was pretty neat when I 1st got the game, and thought for sure I got the batter to fly out, and the ball just kept going for a Hr.

Id hate to see them fix this, and then the wind dont have any effect, I remember early on with this franchise, I think it may have been 09, the wind played a huge role and people complained about it, then I foget when it was they toned it down, and the wind had practically no impact what soever, I dont want that too happen.

1 thing I did notice, and I did it because I felt I was seeing to much solid contact, was that I turned down solid hits slider, to get more weak contact, as it seemed there was to many hard hit balls, whether it be grounders, or line drives. I think I have it at 1 or 2 for both me and the CPU right not, and Im seeing less hard contact, and I know it seem to impact the amount of HRs too, as I have hardly seen any since I made that change, so thinking I might need to bump it up. Could also be a placebo effect too, I suppose.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »