Home

Too many HR's?

This is a discussion on Too many HR's? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #465
RLB
Rookie

RLB's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Too many HR's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
This is interesting. What if the pitch speed slider isn't only a visual difference? What if it affects the physics engine ball speed too? That would mean setting the pitch speed slider to 0 would help curb those unrealistic HR distances because the hit exit velocities would be lower..

sent from a mobile device
That's a good thought but I have the pitch speed slider set at 8 and have only had one game out of around 40 that was a homerun fest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #466
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

The pitch speed slider doesn't affect in-game physics... according to the developers.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #467
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
The pitch speed slider doesn't affect in-game physics... according to the developers.
OK, that's that then.. I'm gonna go with a combination of exaggerated wind effect on the ball and exaggerated hang time from backspin. Those two things would make fly balls carry a lot more than they should.

I would design those systems to be easily tweaked by changing a few variables, but I don't know how they designed it. Also, I don't know if those variables can be altered at this point since the game has already been compiled..

The reason I'm thinking it's exaggerated hang time from back spin is because I've seen screen shots of people's monster HRs and the hits have high apex heights but drawn out apex curves usually seen in line drives (or any HRs with lower launch angles). Hits with high apex heights have sharper apex curves (they drop more sharply) in correlation with higher launch angles.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #468
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
My experience is the ball physics have been a great positive to the game. I've seen games with multiple homeruns and no homeruns. I've seen games with extra base hits and games with none at all. It's varied from game to game for me.

Not that I need to say it again but I'm not doubting that anyone is seeing the issues they are seeing. I'm trying to share my experience and settings to see if there is a "reason" that my experience is different than others. But so far nothing has been found.

I may have asked but I don't remember an answer but is anyone seeing the HR issue on a carryover save?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I actually asked you about the carryover thing early on in the thread. I wasn't seeing any issues when I finished my season, but once I advanced to the next season, the HR distances skyrocketed. I know you said you were in the offseason when you carried over and immediately advanced to the next season. I wonder if your experience does have something to do with that.. that the issue doesn't come up until you advance to the offseason from the playoffs?

Watch me play video games
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #469
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Here's another thing to consider with the ball physics of HRs. I don't know if they programmed this in, but.. did you know a HR from a curve ball will go further than a HR from a fastball even though the exit velocity is lower? It's because a curve ball already has backspin on it coming to the plate, so the swing adds more to it and makes the ball carry more.

Are a lot of HRs (bombs that shouldn't be maybe) coming from curve balls in MLB 17 The Show? If so, that would support my exaggerated backspin theory.

I didn't even get to programming that in my home run derby game because it's so hard to implement without skewing HR trajectories.

I just did, but the factor controlling it is 0.00015 ( x backSpinRPM ). It's arbitrary, but you can see how delicate something like that is and with The Show incorporating player attributes, pitch attributes, etc, etc.. it would get insane real fast. The work the devs do is intricate and complex.

Last edited by MLB14; 04-12-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #470
Pro

OVR: 5

I can tell you that we imported the 1987 Roster over to MLB 17 and I just went back to back to back and I know for a fact the power ratings are lower. Tom Brookens, Chet Lemon, then Dave Bergman? That should not happen

I did run a season sim and only 21 players hit 30 home runs so it may be up a little but I am not seeing anything too drastic

Last edited by jethrotull; 04-12-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #471
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I actually asked you about the carryover thing early on in the thread. I wasn't seeing any issues when I finished my season, but once I advanced to the next season, the HR distances skyrocketed. I know you said you were in the offseason when you carried over and immediately advanced to the next season. I wonder if your experience does have something to do with that.. that the issue doesn't come up until you advance to the offseason from the playoffs?

That's right you did.

Yeah I was at the point of advancing to next season when I stopped '16 and bought '17. I then started Spring Training.

Good question as to whether that has prevented me from seeing the issue or if it's something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #472
Rookie

duc748s's Arena

OVR: 2

Ok this happened yesterday in a vs CPU DD Conquest game - 3 innings, AS difficulty, stock sliders....

Also another one from yesterday same setting as above but 9 inning game (also used contact swing only in both videos)

Last edited by duc748s; 04-13-2017 at 10:17 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »