Home

The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & respond if it applies)

This is a discussion on The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & respond if it applies) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & respond if it applies)

Owen wanted to reach out to our community and get some thoughts, screenshots, etc. on the following subject. Your comment could be featured on Polygon this weekend. Fire away!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm Owen Good, I write for Polygon.

I'd been curious how MLB The Show would handle the deaths of Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura, because of how saves may be imported year to year. Picking up MLB The Show 17 and importing my past saves, I saw that both are now randomized ringers, though Fernandez's replacement is a particularly visible one.

Given the complications of merging an old roster with a current one, this is probably the best and most reasonable solution. But it's still sort of poignant to see the many lives these two players continue to lead in a video game.

In one RTTS playthrough of mine, Fernandez is "Jason Bird," and was traded to Arizona in 2018 (I guess unable to reach a contract with Miami). Remarkably, he won the MVP and Cy Young that year.

In a different playthrough, where Ventura is a teammate of mine on the Royals, he is "David McKenzie." We're about to begin spring training.

Ventura and my player actually came up together all the way back in MLB The Show 14, so you can see how my character took his spot and held back his advancement in this alternate reality.

The randomization appears to occur gamesave to gamesave, so it's not like SSD created a single fictitious player in a main file somewhere and plops him in for either man.

This means Fernandez and Ventura live on as different individuals in all of your saves, too.

I think it'd be interesting to know who Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura are in other players' imported playthroughs, what they're up to, where they are. And it'd be a nice conversation piece and tribute to two pitchers who left us all too soon. Let us know what their new names are, what year it is, which club they're on, anything you find important. Include screenshots if you feel like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joseFernandezJasonBird.jpg (180.7 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg joseFernandezJasonBird2.jpg (127.7 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg yordanoVenturaDavidMcKenzie.jpg (173.8 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg yordanoVenturaMLBtheShow16.jpg (81.5 KB, 636 views)
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Rookie

MLBfanatic97's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & Respond)

To be completely honest, when I heard José Fernández passed away, me desire to play MLB 16 kinda dwindled. It just didn't feel right seeing him in the game, let alone playing against him or using him in a game. It's weird because after all, it's just a video game, but there was something about it that always kinda bothered me. It's difficult to explain. And then when I heard the news about Ventura? It was near impossible to start a new franchise. Again, it's a very strange feeling that's incredibly difficult to explain, and obviously everyone else has a different opinion on it, but that's my 2 cents. Good on SDS for working this out on Y2Y saves, as mentioned above this is probably the best solution to the issue.

Sent from my NSA-certified cellular device
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & Respond)

Bumping this up for the morning readers. If you are using year to year saves, let us know what you're seeing.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Rookie

Hockey13Playa's Arena

Re: The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & respond if it appli

I am just chiming in because I am curious... I plan to start a new OSFM franchise in 17 so its no issue for me. However, if say I started in 16 when both Fernandez and Ventura were alive and playing and I carry over to 17 to continue my franchise save they rename and randomize these guys? I don't like that... if its a previous save why are they touching or modifying any of my franchise roster? I started the game when they were playing then they should still be in it unless I chose to modify them. So if I started a franchise in The Show 14 with a player that now is retired in real life but not my game are they going to retire him too? Dislike that very much.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: The deaths of Fernandez/Ventura in year to year saves (Read & respond if it appli

It's not just Fernandez and Ventura who will be renamed and their visual characters randomized. It will happen to all players who did not make it into the MLB 17 game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Rookie

Hockey13Playa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
It's not just Fernandez and Ventura who will be renamed and their visual characters randomized. It will happen to all players who did not make it into the MLB 17 game.
That is kind of lame though... whats the point of carry over saves then? If I start in a previous game (say 2015 and I make it through 6 seasons) I expect when I carry over into 17 my rosters to remain how they look 6 seasons deep in my game. Not for the game to randomize and adjust. that is a huge immersion killer for me.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

For me this is the main problem with carryover saves. I've been playing my current franchise since The Show 14. So I've lost a lot of real players to CAP's because they didn't play the previous year in the majors. I understand that this has to be done because of the players association but I wish there was a way around it with carryover saves.

However for players like Jose Fernandez and Yordano Ventura I like the fact that their likenesses are replaced but the "player" lives on. Unlike a guy who may have been hurt or just struggled so they missed a year these two unfortunately will never be back.

I'm in September of 2019 and Jose Fernandez, aka Damien Ramirez, is finishing up his first year as the ace of the St. Louis Cardinals. As for Yordano Ventura or Richard Andrade he is still with the Royals and is currently slotted into the number 3 spot in their rotation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Rookie

MetalBeldo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa
That is kind of lame though... whats the point of carry over saves then? If I start in a previous game (say 2015 and I make it through 6 seasons) I expect when I carry over into 17 my rosters to remain how they look 6 seasons deep in my game. Not for the game to randomize and adjust. that is a huge immersion killer for me.
Probably has to do with MLBPA/Licensing/Legal mumbo jumbo

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »