Home

Scouting Prospects in 17

This is a discussion on Scouting Prospects in 17 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Scouting Prospects in 17

So I know that using auto-scout will give you much worse results, and I have the general gist of how scouting works, but would appreciate any input from anyone who has it locked down. Here's what I know and what I want to know...

The initial prospect list contains fully-scouted gems and some partially scouted players.

You can increase the prospects in that pool by assigning a scout to scout a region for a type of player. This is a scout's DISCOVERY rating.

You fully scout a prospect by simply selecting that prospect for a scout. This is a scout's EFFICIENCY rating.

The POSITION and PITCHING ratings affect both of the other two ratings, but still not sure how. I get that if a scout has a low efficiency rating, he'll take longer to finish scouting a prospect, but what if a scout has a high efficiency rating but a low position rating -- will his report be less accurate? Or if a scout has low discovery but high position ratings, will he find fewer players, will it take him longer, or will he find relatively weaker prospects?

Then there's a scout's REGION. Does this just provide a general RPG-style "buff" to whatever a scout does in his preferred region?

Thanks to anyone who can provide answers! And The Show better make some improvements to scouting a drafting next year -- it's been TOO long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Scouting Prospects in 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
So I know that using auto-scout will give you much worse results, and I have the general gist of how scouting works, but would appreciate any input from anyone who has it locked down. Here's what I know and what I want to know...

The initial prospect list contains fully-scouted gems and some partially scouted players.

You can increase the prospects in that pool by assigning a scout to scout a region for a type of player. This is a scout's DISCOVERY rating.

You fully scout a prospect by simply selecting that prospect for a scout. This is a scout's EFFICIENCY rating.

The POSITION and PITCHING ratings affect both of the other two ratings, but still not sure how. I get that if a scout has a low efficiency rating, he'll take longer to finish scouting a prospect, but what if a scout has a high efficiency rating but a low position rating -- will his report be less accurate? Or if a scout has low discovery but high position ratings, will he find fewer players, will it take him longer, or will he find relatively weaker prospects?

Then there's a scout's REGION. Does this just provide a general RPG-style "buff" to whatever a scout does in his preferred region?

Thanks to anyone who can provide answers! And The Show better make some improvements to scouting a drafting next year -- it's been TOO long.

I know that the region helps them discover quicker. so if u have a scout from say the central region, he will discover players quicker in that region than if he had him go scout in the east region for example.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Rookie

My understanding is a scout from a specific region discovers more players faster if you use him to scout in said region. POSITION and PITCHER ratings effect how accurate his initial findings are i.e. grayed out stats. I like to have a scout from every region so I can find all position players and scout most of them (I ignore pitchers), I have been scouting this way for a while and get good results, focus all my time on position players so I can basically scout every worth while position player and luck into pitchers in the draft or trade for them.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

In my understanding is discovery not an advantage. Every discovered player is visible for other GM. I pick efficiency with good position player or pitcher.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffbernd
In my understanding is discovery not an advantage. Every discovered player is visible for other GM. I pick efficiency with good position player or pitcher.
Not sure what you mean -- if you don't discover players you can't scout them. The initial pool is pretty slim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

How often do you change where the scout goes or the positions he scouts?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Just started!

This is how I handle my scouting:

I scout regions from the beginning of the season until May 1st.
I scout individual players from May 1st to the beginning of the draft

I typically start with position players when searching regions and only change the position once the scout comes back saying they've found all that they can. If you leave scouts assigned to pitchers they'll stay assigned to them for 2 or 3 weeks and not leave any time for scouting position players. In general, I find that it's easier to trade for/acquire pitchers so I definitely prioritize trying to find top end position prospects

I check that my scouts are fully utilized after every single day from the beginning of the season until the draft. This is a short window so scouting time is limited. I do not want any scout sitting for a week while he could be productive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »