Home

I wish...there was an umpire mode

This is a discussion on I wish...there was an umpire mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1
I wish...there was an umpire mode

I think an umpire mode would be awesome. It would add another layer to an already amazing game.

You start off as an ump in AA. The better you call, the higher your ump rating is. When you reach a certain point you move up to AAA, then MLB. ULTIMATE goal would be calling the world series.

To make it interesting, in high pressure situations when the crowd is going nuts there can be a camera shake (or something ) to make getting the call harder.

Eject pitchers for throwing at a player, etc. You would have attributes, one of which would be "game control." The lower that rating, the more likely it is for argumentative players/managers, and pitchers going high and way inside.

Would it be a mode I play all year? No, but it would something else to do besides collecting digital baseball cards, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: I wish...there was an umpire mode

Holy crap, I was about to suggest the same thing.

Ever since I saw that Sport Science episode, I've wondered what it would be like to play that out.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

im not going to lie this would be kinda awesome. I wouldn't mind doing this. I don't do road to the show but I def would do umpire to the show
Old 04-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

I love the ump idea! It would be a fun escape, like retro mode. Something for fun.

I'd like them to add when a player strikes out, to hit X and an animation to argue with the ump and potentially have a chance to be ejected. Even add a rating for temper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I love the ump idea! It would be a fun escape, like retro mode. Something for fun.

I'd like them to add when a player strikes out, to hit X and an animation to argue with the ump and potentially have a chance to be ejected. Even add a rating for temper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
I totally agree. The one aspect missing in this game, is the flawed nature of temperamental athletes and managers. It's baseball without personality.

I wonder if the MLB has worked it out to show players in a positive way? Arguing with umps about calls is such a part of baseball, it's almost odd it's missing, lol.

I used to love watching Lou Piniella, sprint out of the dugout like a crazed dog and scream at umps.

I swear a few years ago managers would calmly walk out of dug out in a cut scene. I could be wrong though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
I totally agree. The one aspect missing in this game, is the flawed nature of temperamental athletes and managers. It's baseball without personality.

I wonder if the MLB has worked it out to show players in a positive way? Arguing with umps about calls is such a part of baseball, it's almost odd it's missing, lol.

I used to love watching Lou Piniella, sprint out of the dugout like a crazed dog and scream at umps.

I swear a few years ago managers would calmly walk out of dug out in a cut scene. I could be wrong though.
Just now I had my manager come out to challenge a call at first base.
I had 20 seconds to decide whether to hit Square to officially issue a challenge.

I honestly did not know you could do that in baseball--is this a new rule this year? The previous three editions of The Show, I've never had this happen.

I decided to, and lost the challenge, thus losing the ability to challenge another call for the remainder of the game (I still won, though).

So it can happen. Just no loud Earl Weaver types.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

I've never looked at an umpire and wished I could do that in a video game.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think it would be kinda fun as well. Put Joe West on the cover, have a mini-game where you have to hold your gaze in a staring contest with Madison Bumgarner.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »