Home

Tips for drawing walks in RTTS?

This is a discussion on Tips for drawing walks in RTTS? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 AM   #1
Rookie

JasonIsGod's Arena

OVR: 0
Tips for drawing walks in RTTS?

I'm still in AA and it seems tough trying to draw walks.

Does anyone have any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Tips for drawing walks in RTTS?

CPU pitchers throw a lot of strikes at difficulty levels below All-star, so it might be harder to draw walks until you get to play on All-star. (In RTTS, at AA you'd be playing one level below the difficulty setting of your game play setting; that means you have to be playing on HoF on AA to play at All-star level).

I think the biggest factor for CPU to decide whether it pitches more carefully (as oppose to challenge you in the strike zone) is how much power you have. If your player is a high-Power attribute hitter, then CPU throws more pitches outside the strike zone, making it easier to draw walks.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
CPU pitchers throw a lot of strikes at difficulty levels below All-star, so it might be harder to draw walks until you get to play on All-star. (In RTTS, at AA you'd be playing one level below the difficulty setting of your game play setting; that means you have to be playing on HoF on AA to play at All-star level).

I think the biggest factor for CPU to decide whether it pitches more carefully (as oppose to challenge you in the strike zone) is how much power you have. If your player is a high-Power attribute hitter, then CPU throws more pitches outside the strike zone, making it easier to draw walks.

Is this also the case if you're using dynamic difficulty or just if you choose s difficulty setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsNation8412
Is this also the case if you're using dynamic difficulty or just if you choose s difficulty setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Difficulty doesn't necessarily matter. I play on Legend and get 100 walks a year. It's more what nomo said, if your power is high, you'll see more balls. If you sim, you'll need vis, disc, etc to be higher than average as well.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Difficulty doesn't necessarily matter. I play on Legend and get 100 walks a year. It's more what nomo said, if your power is high, you'll see more balls. If you sim, you'll need vis, disc, etc to be higher than average as well.
Difficulty is a massive factor. The higher up the level, the more realistic it's supposed to be. On rookie or veteran, it'll throw you a lot of very easy to hit pitches. On the higher modes, it will try and nip the corners more and will do more to move the ball around.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Rookie

einjzmolf's Arena

Difficulty definitely matters. Dodgerfilms on youtube is a prime example of this.

He plays on rookie. He gets a high fastball that he can sit on, in every single at bat. That's why he can hit 200 home runs a year or whatever.

I play on HoF and turn the strike frequency to 0. I also lower consistency and control to 0 1 or 2, personal preference comes into factor here, because I like drawing walks (to the tune of 100-150+ a season). A 3/4 hitter shouldn't see 3 pitches right down the gut. Sure, it happens in real life, and it still happens to me in the game.. it's just.. not the primary plan of attack against me anymore. If a pitcher attacks me really aggressively with 2 meatballs because I'm being patient or letting a runner run, I'm stuck in a hole and he might dot a third one in there as I'm expecting a curveball at my shoe tops. Perfectly fine with that once every 20 AB's, but not every 2nd AB.

I see plenty of strikes still, because naturally, pitchers were throwing too many strikes before adjusting the sliders. Now it feels like they're trying to get me to swing at bad pitches. Close calls on the corners go either way, and I can crush mistake pitches. Baseball.

After that, just practicing discipline and playing the cat and mouse game with the pitcher. Having to think about if he's gonna pin point one down and away. Come up and in on you. With these sliders I can have middle middle fastballs sneak up on me sometimes. Obviously embarassing, but it's totally believable at the same time.

Needless to say, I have alot of fun with these sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »