Home

The hitting in this game is off...

This is a discussion on The hitting in this game is off... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #65
Pro

MLB14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The hitting in this game is off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
He doesn't hit .100 either.. when pitchers screw up and leave stuff hanging against guys like Miguel they will get punished. Not always, and maybe not even as much as we think, but they do get punished, so when you're stuck hitting popups and the only thing you could have done correctly (literally) doesn't translate to any reward - it's less than awesome.

I still say it's input method. I just played a game on zone without moving the PCI, got 14 hits, 4 homeruns. I'm 3 innings into the exact same game using directional...no hits, all weak popups and foul tips..
Directional is probably based almost solely on batter/pitcher attributes and zone allows for more player (person holding the controller) influenced results. With directional, all the guy holding the controller determines is swing timing, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #66
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
Directional is probably based almost solely on batter/pitcher attributes and zone allows for more player (person holding the controller) influenced results. With directional, all the guy holding the controller determines is swing timing, right?
As far as I know, yes. There is supposed influence via direction pressed on the joystick, but I firmly believe time influences ball hit location more than aiming. I have no proof at all other than feel, but it sure feels like it.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
I still say it's input method. I just played a game on zone without moving the PCI, got 14 hits, 4 homeruns. I'm 3 innings into the exact same game using directional...no hits, all weak popups and foul tips. Not saying I should get 14 hits and 4 homeruns, but damn, I shouldn't be able to predict my (lack of) hits as well as one can the lunar cycle. It's linear and bad.
Your observation is circumstantial and does not confirm anything. Using PCI and facing the same pitcher(s), I've experienced results on both sides of the spectrum and in between. In some games, a pitcher leaves numerous pitches over the middle of the plate providing a hitters feast. In other games the same pitcher will spot everything and hits/runs are hard to come by. It's not a zone/directional issue.

And this zone vs directional nonsense needs to stop. Play 50 games of franchise with each and I guarantee after the 50th game the stats for each will not contain significant differences.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #68
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
As far as I know, yes. There is supposed influence via direction pressed on the joystick, but I firmly believe time influences ball hit location more than aiming. I have no proof at all other than feel, but it sure feels like it.
I don't think directional hitting should even be in the game. It ruins the purity of batting in my opinion. Swing timing is what should determine hit direction.

In reality, if you're early on an outside pitch, it still goes to left and vice versa, so..

Did directional hitting replace timing hitting?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #69
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14

Did directional hitting replace timing hitting?

Pretty much and I rarely use the stick to influence unless want t hit behind the runner. Even then I usually swing early or late to influence direction. I fact, directional is much better when you don't try and influence IMO.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #70
Banned

BegBy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
Your observation is circumstantial and does not confirm anything. Using PCI and facing the same pitcher(s), I've experienced results on both sides of the spectrum and in between. In some games, a pitcher leaves numerous pitches over the middle of the plate providing a hitters feast. In other games the same pitcher will spot everything and hits/runs are hard to come by. It's not a zone/directional issue.

And this zone vs directional nonsense needs to stop. Play 50 games of franchise with each and I guarantee after the 50th game the stats for each will not contain significant differences.

I've been at it for weeks now, and did it last year. Directional isn't nearly as good as zone.

I'm not saying I can or should be able to replicate one using the other because of how random baseball/physics is. I am saying, with absolute belief that directional will yield lesser results than zone more often than not.

I don't think a discussion relating to the game mechanics is nonsense. Lots of people feel certain input methods are superior. Lots of people use said input methods because they feel it's superior. Why do you think a conversation about that has to stop?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
I've been at it for weeks now, and did it last year. Directional isn't nearly as good as zone.

I'm not saying I can or should be able to replicate one using the other because of how random baseball/physics is. I am saying, with absolute belief that directional will yield lesser results than zone more often than not.

I don't think a discussion relating to the game mechanics is nonsense. Lots of people feel certain input methods are superior. Lots of people use said input methods because they feel it's superior. Why do you think a conversation about that has to stop?
Again, your observations are circumstantial. Zone and directional hitting were balanced out a few years back.

I use zone almost exclusively. I do not use zone because it is superior, but rather because zone better reflects my personal successes and failures. With zone I don't have to experience a swing and miss when I perfectly time a pitch down the middle of the plate with the PCI centered, although I do experience fly-outs. Whereas directional hitters experience a swing and miss. The inverse is the situations where my timing is good but I misplace the PCI and receive a negative outcome when directional hitters would have received a positive outcome.

Zone gives you more personal control over the outcome, good and bad. Directional is more attribute based, forgiving some of your failures and denying some of your successes. As far as results, the differences even out.

Again, I'm almost exclusively, 99.9%, a zone hitter. Zone hitting best reflects the way I want to experience the game. But zone does not make me better or mean I have better skills at this game. Directional hitting is hard, because the timing window is smaller. Zone hitting provides a larger timing window. So, while I can make up for timing issues with good PCI placement, I can also sabotage good timing with bad PCI placement.

Thus, a discussion of the games hitting mechanics is nonsense should that discussion be centered on an argument of one or the other producing superior results. They are balanced to produce the same results.

Truth is truth. Majority public opinion does not change truth. However, majority public opinion does influence individuals who have not fully investigated and evaluated the facts to believe falsehoods are facts. This reality goes beyond MLBTS and this forum. A wise man convinces the masses to follow the facts, a foolish man uses public opinion to manufacture the facts.

Last edited by fanofbaseball; 04-19-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #72
Banned

BegBy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
Again, your observations are circumstantial. Zone and directional hitting were balanced out a few years back.

I use zone almost exclusively. It is not because it is superior, but because it better reflects my successes and failures. With zone I don't have to experience a swing and miss when I perfectly time a pitch down the middle of the plate with the PCI centered, although I do experience fly-outs. Directional hitters experience a swing and miss. The inverse is the situations where timing is good, but I misplace the PCI and receive a negative outcome when directional hitters would have received a positive outcome.

Zone gives you more personal control over the outcome, good and bad. Directional is more attribute based. As far as results, the differences even out.

Again, I'm almost exclusively, 99.9%, a zone hitter. Zone hitting best reflects the way I want to experience the game. But zone does not make me better or mean I have better skills at this game. Directional hitting is hard, because the timing window is smaller. Zone hitting provides a larger timing window. So I can make up for timing issues with PCI placement.

Thus, a discussion of the games hitting mechanics is nonsense should that discussion be centered on an argument of one or the other producing superior results. They are balanced to produce the same results.

Truth is truth. Majority public opinion does not change truth. However, majority public opinion does influence individuals who have not fully investigated and evaluated the facts to believe falsehoods are facts. This reality goes beyond MLBTS and this forum. A wise man convinces the masses to follow the facts, a foolish man uses public opinion to manufacture the facts.
I'm not sure which input method is easier, and I should also state I am speaking offline exclusively. I fully realize the issues with directional hitting online vs another person. Watching videos or live streams clearly show that directional vs other people is absurd. PCI placement and timing seem to mean little and DD games are basically moonshots all day. If I had to say a method is easier I suppose I would say zone, and only because when I use it I do not move the PCI and net much greater results. Not easier in theory, but seemingly in practice.

I get what you're saying and would normally agree, but show me how these 2 input methods are absolutely equal. Show me how they were 'balanced out'. I don't think they are at all. I can see and feel with my own eyes and while I admit it's not entirely scientific it's also undeniable. As I mentioned previously all one has to do is either play an online game vs another person or watch streams and videos and you'll clearly see that directional in that setting is absolutely superior. There seems to be no penalty for bad timing or swinging at bad pitches (location) because balls are crushed. I mean crushed.

Show me with proof.

And I don't need any condescending parables, please. Or at least step it up a notch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »