Home

Why can every SS and 3B make the jump throw perfectly?

This is a discussion on Why can every SS and 3B make the jump throw perfectly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Why can every SS and 3B make the jump throw perfectly?

It will be very interesting to see if a re-rated roster affects this. Because the second basemen jumping off the bag on a double play ball and makes a incredible throw to first is far too common.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Strange thing is, in MLB 16 they made a point of saying that some animations were only available to players if they had high enough defensive category ratings. It seems with the redone animations in MLB 17 this is not the case anymore. I love the animations and how fun it is to watch them and pull them off myself, especially with my RttS player.

But at the same time, my RttS 3rd baseman (who was moved from original position of 2nd base) only has a fielding and reaction rating in the low 60's, and arm strength and accuracy in the upper 40's. Yet he can pull off a diving stop, roll onto his butt, and from a seated position, throw an accurate strike across the diamond to first for the out. Cool to see and successfully pull off, but it is kind of one of those things I would have like to have been rewarded with after my ratings got high enough. Maybe next year they'll reintroduce the ratings thresholds for elite fielder animations to be available like they had in MLB 16.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 2

All these issues are easily fixed by adjusting sliders or player ratings. Notch up the base running speed in the slider setting, or adjust the fielding reaction slider. Adjust the throw slider down a notch. There are several different ways to fix that problem. It's awesome that the show gives us the opportunity to fix just about anything to your style of play. All you got to do is take the time to do it. Good luck..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I am actually wondering there is some issue with (infield) fielding this year out of the box.

Have any of you guys actually seen CPU-controlled infielders (CPU just to eliminate one factor from the equation) make blunder errors on routine grounders, for example?

I am testing sliders (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...7-version.html) and trying to increase the number of fielding errors, but for some reason I have not been able to do so by jacking up Fielding Error slider to the max.

I do see occasionally fly balls being dropped (by both infielders and outfielders), but I think the only errors I have seen in infield so far are foul flies being dropped.

Seeing this thread, I'm actually starting to think that the game engine is somehow not properly taking into account the fielding ability of players, and making all fielders to play at an excellent ability level, where they all can make excellent plays (that would normally be reserved to the best-rated fielders) and rarely make errors.

I am trying to gather more evidence so that the developer could properly patch the game, if there is indeed some issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah ratings are definitely too high.. well in my opinion. I actually use my ratings from fielding fan scouting on fangraphs. As long as fielding ability is above 30 (gets in position , pauses before u throw the ball below 30 which is unrealistic) I enjoy it in the previous versions. Haven't tried it in this year's game so far. I find it not as overpowering and see the difference between elite and lower abilities. There are lots of ratings most of you probably won't agree with, worse than minor leaguers, really pulls overalls down for most players but overalls is overalls, they mean nothing. I think it plays awesome with them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
Yeah ratings are definitely too high.. well in my opinion. I actually use my ratings from fielding fan scouting on fangraphs. As long as fielding ability is above 30 (gets in position , pauses before u throw the ball below 30 which is unrealistic) I enjoy it in the previous versions. Haven't tried it in this year's game so far. I find it not as overpowering and see the difference between elite and lower abilities. There are lots of ratings most of you probably won't agree with, worse than minor leaguers, really pulls overalls down for most players but overalls is overalls, they mean nothing. I think it plays awesome with them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
CORRECT. If you chop fielding rating down like this:

*2nd Base - (-15)

*Shortstop (-20)

*3rd Base (-25)

from whatever SCEA defaults it at, you will see much better stuff.

I also have fielding errors at 8 and throw at 7 for infield and things are great.

as well, this scaled yielding EXACT sim stats for the 94 and 07 rosters that I tweaked.

we need GLOBAL EDITING to change all these ratings with a simple click of a button.

Thank You
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

In previous games, placing fielder arm strength at zero eliminated this problem. Then you're only reliant on attributes player by player. The best fielders shine, while everyone else does the best they can and footwork or positioning becomes so much more important.

What I enjoyed most about it was seeing much more realistic throwing from the outfield. Overly ambitious throws come trickling into the base, it's really worth a try.

I'm not encouraging the use of past gameplay settings to automatically apply itself on new games but I look forward to working on this issue once I begin playing.

https://youtu.be/D5tf0lHCr4E?t=10m21s
https://youtu.be/ulpbKe9p8GQ?t=1m17s

not jump throws but an example of arm strength at 0

Last edited by @legendm0de; 04-06-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: just a couple of quick samples
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Seeing this thread, I'm actually starting to think that the game engine is somehow not properly taking into account the fielding ability of players, and making all fielders to play at an excellent ability level, where they all can make excellent plays (that would normally be reserved to the best-rated fielders) and rarely make errors.
Part of the problem is probably the Humanity AI. It was pretty clear from Live Stream during the pre-release period. Especially during double plays, you see some crazy stuff even with player with low defensive ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »