Home

Pitcher's Primary Pitch Confidence & Entropy

This is a discussion on Pitcher's Primary Pitch Confidence & Entropy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
Pitcher's Primary Pitch Confidence & Entropy

Unless you almost never throw a ball? Unless your fastball (or whatever the primary pitch is for your particular pitcher) usage and strike% is over 80%? Unless you only use your primary pitch as your strikeout pitch?

The game constantly takes away confidence from your primary pitch, like it were a little boat constantly taking on water, and throwing strikes is your only means of bailing out that water. It's very frustrating to have pitched 4 or 5 innings of no-hit ball, with 8 strikeouts, with no walks, and with no major contact given to opposing batters, and to have your primary pitch be at 40-50% or less.

For instance, I'm currently in the Top of the 5th inning playing on All-Star level vs. the CPU. I've thrown my 4-seamer 30 out of 57 pitches. Of those 30 pitches, 70% have gone for strikes or outs. My pitcher's fastball confidence is sitting right around the halfway point. If I start throwing it for nothing but strikes, I'll probably start getting pounded.

I think this gets back to the original decision to decide that the only way a pitcher can get confidence is through throwing a strike. I still think that it should be a mix of execution and result; that a set-up pitch deliberately thrown out of the zone but with perfect or near perfect execution should, if not act as a confidence booster, at least be confidence-neutral.

Maybe it's being done to tamp down on dominant pitching? If that's the case, I guess I wish they'd figure out a better way. I admit that at All-Star difficulty, it seems that it's a little too easy to pitch dominant games. But there's currently very little incentive for me to pitch on higher levels.

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 04-07-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Misused "entropic" & slthree wrote that I was calling attention to myself by using that word so I hope this is better for him
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Pitcher's Primary Pitch Confidence & Entropy

Dude, get over yourself. Absolutely no reason to use the term you did, save to draw attention to yourself. You also misapplied "entropic". Maybe you could simply restate your issue

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

Okay, I'll try restating:

Each pitcher's primary pitch confidence leaks constantly, and the rate at which it leaks is too damn high.

Is that more clear?

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 04-07-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

I get what you are saying, hitting a spot you choose, including throwing a tight ball on the edge should equal no confidence lost when throwing balls on purpose.

But...

Entropic
Thermodynamics. (on a macroscopic scale) a function of thermodynamic variables, as temperature, pressure, or composition, that is a measure of the energy that is not available for work during a thermodynamic process. A closed system evolves toward a state of maximum entropy.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

I'm not the best with science words, so I just assumed that "entropic" was the adjective version of "entropy." My bad. Certainly no offense meant. It was just the word that came to mind.

But yeah, I only meant that the game constantly takes away confidence from your primary pitch, like it were a little boat constantly taking on water, and throwing strikes is your only means of bailing out that water.

Maybe that's a better way of putting it, since I don't want to put on airs like I'm trying to call attention to myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
MVP

BrianU's Arena

Why you guys jumping down this guy's throat. He has a very good point. This gameplay system is not the most well done and i hope they look over and refine it soon like they've done with precision input and ball physics.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Pro

sandmac's Arena

OVR: 3
Icon12 Re: Pitcher's Primary Pitch Confidence & Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
Okay, I'll try restating:

Each pitcher's primary pitch confidence leaks constantly, and the rate at which it leaks is too damn high.

Is that more clear?
Yes, but the oxford comma was unnecessary.

JK
Old 04-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Rookie

BoNity's Arena

OVR: 5

At some point you just gotta play the game and not worry about stuff like that.
I just pitched a 1 hitter with the twins Mejia on HOF and im just a average player. So i dont really care about the confidence of my main pitch. i hardly even pay attention to it

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »