Home

CPU suicide squeezes in late innings

This is a discussion on CPU suicide squeezes in late innings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #25
Pro

ralphieboy11's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: CPU suicide squeezes in late innings

What I've seen more often than not is the cpu will run themselves out of a good inning by using this strategy. I've seen many power hitters whiff on a bunt attempt and then have the runner from 3rd tagged out as he runs to the plate. That personally bothers me more than losing a game. I got so good at predicting when it would happen in previous editions that I had to force myself not to pitch out. What I would hope for is that the batter would foul it off so the at-bat could go on as normal. They usually would only try it once during an at-bat.

It's just a very poor strategy to have a power hitter do that when he could hit a 3 or 4 run homer instead.

And it's been in the game a long while. I remember Chipper Jones doing it to me when he was still on the Braves.

This is all going on past experience. I have not had much time to play with the game yet this year. Since people are commenting, I'm assuming the logic has remained the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syce
it happens almost every single time the CPU has a chance to win the game. you can set up your defence to try and defend it, but the animations for some reason just never work in your favor to get the runner stealing home. by the time you get the ball to home plate the guy has already sled and scored.

because it is a suicide squeeze, the runner on 3rd breaks just as the pitcher is about to deliver to home plate so by the time it gets to the bat the runner is already 3/4 of the way home. so its almost impossible to stop it, in game that is.
I know all this, and I acknowledged the extreme frequency. It's video-gamey and not realistic. I'm definitely not saying there isn't a need to fix it. I'm just making a suggestion to try and help you enjoy the game more in its current state.

I'll ask again - have you ever tried a pitchout on the first pitch? If you guess it right even once, you've ended the whole threat.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-11-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I know all this, and I acknowledged the extreme frequency. It's video-gamey and not realistic. I'm definitely not saying there isn't a need to fix it. I'm just making a suggestion to try and help you enjoy the game more in its current state.

I'll ask again - have you ever tried a pitchout on the first pitch? If you guess it right even once, you've ended the whole threat.
thinking about it, i dont think i have tried a pitch out. i guess i will have to attempt that when/if the next time comes around.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #28
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13

Just had this happen to me in extras. So annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Definitely been an ongoing issue for years. Late in games, I've had it happen with guys on 2nd & 3rd with no outs....and a batter that would never consider the possibility of laying one down. Sometimes they squeeze themselves out of what could've been a bigger inning and sometimes they pull it as a stunt when you feel like you could've pitched out of the jam.

It's frustrating.....I know it happens in real baseball, but not nearly as often and not by the types of batters doing it in the game. It's already happened several times on this year's game too.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #30
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyerb
This is disheartening to hear. What's the defense against it this year? Fastballs high out of the zone?
That will result in a 475ft+ bomb in this year's Show..
Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
That will result in a 475ft+ bomb in this year's Show..

Be careful guys, if you call a pitchout and your are auto fielding. The catcher applies the tag but runner is called safe. I've reported this. This happened 2 different times in different stadiums. If you throw a ball without calling a pitchout the catcher will apply tag and they call him out. Only on pitch-outs with auto fielding. I lost 2 games because of this bug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
Rookie

comebackkid's Arena

OVR: 0

This has happened to me 7 times already. You name it, they always square up a perfect bunt, and if I pitch out the catcher doesn't do anything. He just stays there standing up.

I thought this was going to get resolved this year. I have tried everything, including running down the line and tag the runner but the catcher just doesn't move. I've tried pitching up and in and the batter still makes a perfect bunt, I've put the corners on bunt defense but the fielders don't react fast enough and take A WHILE to actually throw the ball. Happens with two outs as well and two strikes. This is just so annoying. If the CPU has a runner on third they either win or tie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »