Home

Help me out

This is a discussion on Help me out within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Help me out

First of all, it takes time. Whoever said they want to be good right from the start, that is just unrealistic. Squaring up a baseball is no joke, and it should feel rewarding. For this reason, they have to make it somewhat hard (realistic).

Disclaimer, I am fairly new to video games (The Show 16 was my first in over a decade). I have a demanding job, a two year old son, a hot wife, and 6 weeks of vacation to use each year (we don't work that much in Europe). I don't play nearly as much as some other people on this board. But I know baseball, that has to help.

Try dynamic difficulty. It's not a cheat. It is a very helpful tool that allows you to get a feel for the game while also experiencing many of the improved ball physics and new animations.

Leave the DD slider in the middle and just play until you plateau. Once your happy, turn the slider down to 0, turn the feedback off, and be on your way.

I've done this two years in a row and really enjoyed it. I play a lot of exhibition games with different teams in different stadiums and then by the time I'm ready to start a Franchise I feel comfortable with the game.

I use A&S All star sliders with the DD and it makes for great game play at every level. Last year I levelled out at All Star but I was using the Cubs for a franchise so eventually ended on All Star +.

This year the hitting seems easier. I am not playing much and I think I'm on Vet+ at the moment, using A&S sliders again. Everything is still being worked out but my guess is I end up on all star + again by the time the OSFM hybrid rosters are out. The I'll start a franchise with the Braves (maybe).

You could always try zone. It's less of a sim and more user input. Seems more difficult but once you get used to it I think it's easier as the worse players have a better chance with you controlling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Can anyone explain what the difference between PCI on and off is? Assuming I'm using directional hitting, should I turn PCI on or off?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticboy25
Can anyone explain what the difference between PCI on and off is? Assuming I'm using directional hitting, should I turn PCI on or off?
The PCI toggle is just the yellow overlay that appears on screen showing your plate coverage. It doesn't appear on-screen in directional anyway, so it doesn't matter whether it's on or off. The only time you'll see it in directional is in the swing analysis window, and as I alluded to in RLB's post it still moves around under-the-hood even though you can only see the circle stay in the middle there.

And, even for Zone hitting the underlying system is still working whether or not you turn the display on or off. Even though you can't see it with the PCI off, you still move the hitter's plate coverage around with the left stick.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
Rookie

Thanks for the explanation. I'm finally starting to get better at bats after I've switched the camera
Old 04-12-2017, 12:28 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
You're more likely to get solid contact with Zone since it doesn't rely as much on attributes like Directional does, so I'd recommend using Zone and just turn the PCI off because it's so big this year that you really don't need to move it anyway if the ball is in the zone. If your timing is right on good pitches, you'll make solid contact, whereas with Directional you are always at the mercy of the attributes...so it can feel more cruel at times, especially when you're struggling already.
hey thanks for the tip. i tried it tonight and hit 2 hr's and got about 6-7 hits. the game increased my difficulty now to rookie.

so what does it exactly do turning off PCI? It just gives you more of a zone to use? Whereas PCI you have to be exactly at the point of the ball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
The PCI toggle is just the yellow overlay that appears on screen showing your plate coverage. It doesn't appear on-screen in directional anyway, so it doesn't matter whether it's on or off. The only time you'll see it in directional is in the swing analysis window, and as I alluded to in RLB's post it still moves around under-the-hood even though you can only see the circle stay in the middle there.

And, even for Zone hitting the underlying system is still working whether or not you turn the display on or off. Even though you can't see it with the PCI off, you still move the hitter's plate coverage around with the left stick.
I noticed there were 2 pci options. One had the whole wording of what PCI stood for as on/off. The other said PCI indicator I think. Is there a difference?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #23
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
hey thanks for the tip. i tried it tonight and hit 2 hr's and got about 6-7 hits. the game increased my difficulty now to rookie.

so what does it exactly do turning off PCI? It just gives you more of a zone to use? Whereas PCI you have to be exactly at the point of the ball?

You're welcome. Turning off the PCI basically just hides it visually. It's still there, but on lower difficulties it's so huge that it covers the whole entire strike zone, so there's no point in moving it or even having it turned on at all. So essentially, all you need to worry about is swinging at good pitches and your timing.

Last edited by jeffy777; 04-12-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

So with directional hitting, what's the point of the on-screen graphic showing you the PCI of your swing? It always stays dead center in the box, and only grows or shrinks in size. In years past (I think), the graphic would actually show you where the PCI was on the swing.

Did they change it because people were getting annoyed when they would get the timing "perfect" and still see the PCI a foot off the ball? I know that was a frequent complaint, and repeating "it's based on ratings" did not help matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »