Home

Night skies

This is a discussion on Night skies within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Night skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk Chop Braves
I could be wrong but I feel like the lighting timing is off by one inning especially at night.
What do you mean? That it's just a bit too light?

If so, I agree. Some of my "June" games don't get pitch black ever because the game ends too soon, even though I played a normal amount.

My GIF is starting really early, though. Probably around the 5:00 time.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Your edits look tons better, especially the brightness of the signage. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16

Great thread! Couldn't agree more!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Weather doesn't change how those colors appear in the game?

sent from a mobile device
Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk Chop Braves
I could be wrong but I feel like the lighting timing is off by one inning especially at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
What do you mean? That it's just a bit too light?

If so, I agree. Some of my "June" games don't get pitch black ever because the game ends too soon, even though I played a normal amount.

My GIF is starting really early, though. Probably around the 5:00 time.
Yeah, I absolutely love the change in lighting from at-bat to at-bat but the unrealistic amount of innings with natural light during night games is an immersion killer. It's one reason I'd love to have an option to choose my start time. I went through the daily rosters schedule last year and found a Citi Field game that started at 8:00pm and the transition to night in that game was much more realistic. Ideally they'd make the sun set a little earlier as a rule but I'd think that giving more start time options would be a relatively easy work-around.

What confuses me is that they offer an 11am option when that's only used by one team once a year whereas more common 12/12:30pm and 5:30, 7:15/7:30 and 8:30pm options aren't available. Not having 5:30 and 8:30 options is particularly weird since those are West and East Coast start times for Sunday Night Baseball and the lighting is dramatically different in those games. They loved showing off 4pm games back when they first introduced this lighting, why not go all the way? If they don't want to clutter the menu too much, just put an advanced option toggle there and put a 'choose your own' start time in that menu.

And blzer, I already praised your changes to the dusk skies in the Presentation thread but I'll repeat myself here: they look great and the team should be looking to incorporate them into the game.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
Weather doesn't change how those colors appear in the game?
Clouds sort of do, as they would in real life. Clouds in the sky could give you a full array of different colors (specifically the blue, purple, and oranges if the sun is below them and hitting them that way). But you'll mostly only get those in the same direction as the sun is, and in all parks the sun sets behind the stadium's foul side, not fair side. So we really should be mostly getting blue, or gray if we're talking about clouds... or black if it is night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Arbuckle
And blzer, I already praised your changes to the dusk skies in the Presentation thread but I'll repeat myself here: they look great and the team should be looking to incorporate them into the game.
Why, thank you.

As for your rant on start times, you're pretty much spot on: they already have these times in the game given that they have a 24-hour clock in place (that changes by the batter), so I don't see why it couldn't possibly be implemented. Just a design decision on their end, is all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #15
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Clouds sort of do, as they would in real life. Clouds in the sky could give you a full array of different colors (specifically the blue, purple, and oranges if the sun is below them and hitting them that way). But you'll mostly only get those in the same direction as the sun is, and in all parks the sun sets behind the stadium's foul side, not fair side. So we really should be mostly getting blue, or gray if we're talking about clouds... or black if it is night.
That answer is thorough, lol.. Maybe they should consult you on certain things.

sent from a mobile device
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
There is also a bug where if you start out the game with overcast skies, there is no gradual shift from day into night. The game will abruptly shift from one inning with plenty of light (obscured of course by the overcast clouds) to pitch black night time.
I saw this as well. Was laying a 7:30 game with overcast skies and then boom, pitch black. I mentioned on the bugs thread within another similar thread but never created a report for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »