Home

Night skies

This is a discussion on Night skies within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Night skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
That answer is thorough, lol.. Maybe they should consult you on certain things.

sent from a mobile device
I appreciate that, but I believe everything they do they have a reason for, including design limitations. Like the overcast skies I'm hearing about, I don't think they actually feel it gets dark immediately when overcast, you know?

Like I said in that Presentation Twitch Stream thread (though this was regarding uniform colors):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I am never going to question why they aren't able to do it; I only do these to suggest what it looks like if accomplished, and hope that they can make it a possibility.

I used Photoshop. They can't just slide a color gradient thingy over and voila! At least, that's what I heard they can't do. Obviously things are hex-coded, but every color is also material-dependent and light source-dependent. We're getting closer with things like grass, so hopefully over the course of time they can find the way to take care of these as well.

But again, I will never question their abilities of doing it. I just don't think it's that easy to do, and sometimes there are restrictions based on the style guide. I don't think I've ever said that before, but I understand when excuses can be rather legitimate.
That being said, they have a lighting system in place that we just don't know how it works with bouncing off of surfaces and such, including their "sky surface" (assuming that their stadiums just live inside large spherical domes). If they think that is how skies work, then unfortunately we're just at a standstill. However, if they are reaching for what I'm hoping is being reached someday, then hopefully little nudges here and there will help along the way! Hence why I created this thread.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #18
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Caught this at SunTrust Park on Saturday. Could it be that they are actually beginning an attempt at getting blue in their night skies?

Now, I don't know how skies in video games work. I don't know if the whole area is just trapped inside one large dome like The Hunger Games and the sun reflects off that dome, in which case that's why we're generally seeing the orangeness/yellowness/brownness that pops up... or if there is something else in play and they can continue to address this. But seeing this is a promising sign that they are actually looking into the coloring of the skies, just like how they looked into the uniforms.

Maybe next year we will actually see a radical change! Or maybe not, who knows.

Anyway, this is the only stadium I've seen at night where I can notice this. The only other parks I've played in at night so far are Citi Field and Miller Park, both of which would be very hard to see beyond the horizons of the stadium architecture itself. So when this popped up at SunTrust, I figured it's probably happening everywhere whether or not I can actually see it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Wow that picture with the tweaked lights at night looks amazing. I am for this improvement!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Caught this at SunTrust Park on Saturday. Could it be that they are actually beginning an attempt at getting blue in their night skies?

Now, I don't know how skies in video games work. I don't know if the whole area is just trapped inside one large dome like The Hunger Games and the sun reflects off that dome, in which case that's why we're generally seeing the orangeness/yellowness/brownness that pops up... or if there is something else in play and they can continue to address this. But seeing this is a promising sign that they are actually looking into the coloring of the skies, just like how they looked into the uniforms.

Maybe next year we will actually see a radical change! Or maybe not, who knows.

Anyway, this is the only stadium I've seen at night where I can notice this. The only other parks I've played in at night so far are Citi Field and Miller Park, both of which would be very hard to see beyond the horizons of the stadium architecture itself. So when this popped up at SunTrust, I figured it's probably happening everywhere whether or not I can actually see it.
This looks very promising for the future
Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

OVR: 4

This looked good for the night sky thread, so I thought I would share, from Target Field
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29791094_10214260164250385_4211268158397524532_n.jpg (94.2 KB, 89 views)
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #22
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
This looked good for the night sky thread, so I thought I would share, from Target Field
Eww, maybe they didn't really address it then...
Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #23
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21

Has anyone from SDS ever commented or acknowledged this? Have you PMed a dev and asked them to look into this? I feel like I have been seeing this topic every year. Yet, every year the night sky remains mustard colored.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Eww, maybe they didn't really address it then...
There's still plenty of instances of the brownish sky, but it's for sure been improved, at least. Had a nice midnight blue fade in over RF at Fenway in a September exhibition. It looked fantastic and certainly better than 17.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »