Home

Prospect Progression

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #113
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Any testing should be done with default rosters. If you use default rosters you will see far fewer retirements due to injury.

My guess is that the system tries to balance the quantity of overall and potential players. Default rosters have more d potential players.

I also think this impacts progressions because the proportion of overall players tends to stay relatively balanced.

I have run numerous sims and seen guys like trout and Harper maintain a 99 for many years or regress. There is randomness built in.

Players tools do not progress once they get past their peak. A player that is 28 does not see an increase in speed, endurance, bat speed etc in real life. Ratings are a reflection of that.

I always use the example of David Ortiz. At age 25 he had a .234 with 18 homeruns. If potential was based on stats he would have regressed. At age 33 he had another .230 avg "down" year.

Stats do not tell the whole story. I would hate to see a day when stats dictate progression. The xp system of development is why I no longer buy Madden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
To revisit an old thread in the show you get 6 or 7 draft picks a year. In order to have a functioning league in a few years each team needs about half of their draft picks to progress reliably and predictably into MLB players.

To compare this to MLB where each team gets 30 draft picks plus international signings doesn't work. IRL if 80% of prospects wash out there are still plenty of players to stock 30 teams with 25 man rosters. In the show if that happens you get pitchers who can't pitch and catchers who can't catch.

I argued this a couple years ago when people wanted more chaos in progression. Chaos won.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #114
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
To revisit an old thread in the show you get 6 or 7 draft picks a year. In order to have a functioning league in a few years each team needs about half of their draft picks to progress reliably and predictably into MLB players.

To compare this to MLB where each team gets 30 draft picks plus international signings doesn't work. IRL if 80% of prospects wash out there are still plenty of players to stock 30 teams with 25 man rosters. In the show if that happens you get pitchers who can't pitch and catchers who can't catch.

I argued this a couple years ago when people wanted more chaos in progression. Chaos won.
That's a good point. The only thing I'd say is that the lower draft picks have a much lower chance of making the majors but I am sure the higher draft picks also do not make the majors at the same rate as they would in the game.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #115
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

When I edit a player, that little red or green arrow next to his OVR disappears when I save an edit.

Does this "reset" his progression/regression?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #116
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
When I edit a player, that little red or green arrow next to his OVR disappears when I save an edit.

Does this "reset" his progression/regression?
I believe it is just a graphical display that is reset.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #117
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I believe it is just a graphical display that is reset.

Correct. It is simply visual and all progression and regression is still applied
Old 05-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #118
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Correct. It is simply visual and all progression and regression is still applied
Great, thanks guys!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #119
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Shouldn't this "prospect" discussion be more along the lines of what you need for your big league team?

For instance, I called up a guy to play DH, and 4th outfielder, he is a "C" rated player, average defense, below average power. But his contact rating is around 75, so.....he gets hits. Right now he's batting .335 so who cares what his rating is? I just know where I can fit him in to my lineup.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #120
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Shouldn't this "prospect" discussion be more along the lines of what you need for your big league team?

For instance, I called up a guy to play DH, and 4th outfielder, he is a "C" rated player, average defense, below average power. But his contact rating is around 75, so.....he gets hits. Right now he's batting .335 so who cares what his rating is? I just know where I can fit him in to my lineup.
This is how prospects should be viewed....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »