Home

Prospect Progression

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
Player personality is a huge factor in real life sports, and with all due respect, it's head-scratching to see someone argue against implementing it in a game that's meant to emulate reality.
I agree, and I'd love to see it in the game, but NO WAY IN HADES will I care about a "stud" SS prospect's personality or sincerity if he has a 17 throw power, a 26 speed, and an 8 durability and is 25 years old. See what I mean?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC

I think you're spraying indiscriminately at this point.
That's because you're confused.

I'm merely expressing that in an ideal world, the game would be geared more toward us evaluating players rather than us trying to figure out the underlying science the devs could give us in minutes.

I'm not saying SCEA needs to add this to Franchise mode. It's far down my priority list.

Quote:
I agree, and I'd love to see it in the game, but NO WAY IN HADES will I care about a "stud" SS prospect's personality or sincerity if he has a 17 throw power, a 26 speed, and an 8 durability and is 25 years old. See what I mean?
If his ratings are that low, coaches and scouts wouldn't even recommend signing him and would highly recommend you release him immediately. Scouts, coaches, fans, everyone should be raging at you in reports and news about how stupid it is to have a MLB team with a player who can't even succeed in high school.

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-14-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
That's because you're confused.

I'm merely expressing that in an ideal world, the game would be geared more toward us evaluating players rather than us trying to figure out the underlying science the devs could give us in minutes.

I'm not saying SCEA needs to add this to Franchise mode. It's far down my priority list.

If his ratings are that low, coaches and scouts wouldn't even recommend signing him and would highly recommend you release him immediately. Scouts, coaches, fans, everyone should be raging at you in reports and news about how stupid it is to have a MLB team with a player who can't even succeed in high school.
Sorry, sometimes I lose track of what thread I'm in, and to me your the Improve Franchise Crusader (which is needed), so I probably read that into your comment. Apologies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:

Hmmm, lipstick on a pig. No thanks. Problem is that created prospects are by-and-large garbage (not just OVR-wise, but like I wrote before: age, att. dist., progression). So the point isn't that your idea is bad -- it's great -- but it's cart-before-horse. Lots of A prospects in this game have Achilles' heels that are just unrealistic.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #37
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega0862
This is all great info. I'm trying gage some players. I have the OSFM rosters and I'm watching Jorge Mateo, Clint Frazier, and Gleyber Torres. Frazier and Mateo I called up to the MLB after my first season. They were both 73 overall but after my second season, they both went up to 75. Now I called up Torres and he is a 72 starting at SS. Meanwhile I have Kaperlian who is a top 50 pitching prospect stuck in the minors at a 64 overall the past two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
You realize this is the pattern IRL. Some prospects flourish and continue to do well when others seem to hit a wall and stay in the minors. When is it time to cut them loose and move on? Could they be a late-bloomer? Need a change of scenery?
That's why I love the game, it's so dynamic on so many different levels and they continue to add more.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Hmmm, lipstick on a pig. No thanks. Problem is that created prospects are by-and-large garbage (not just OVR-wise, but like I wrote before: age, att. dist., progression). So the point isn't that your idea is bad -- it's great -- but it's cart-before-horse. Lots of A prospects in this game have Achilles' heels that are just unrealistic.
Yeah, that would definitely need to be fixed first. You know more about what happens during progression than I, so I'll trust that it's a serious issue.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega0862
Ok, so I have some questions about developing players.

1. What level is best to keep your prospects at to grow? ie. AA, AAA, MLB

2. Is it much harder for a player to grow past a certain age?

3. What is a good base overall for a young guy to reach before calling him up to the MLB?

4.Does training play a significant role?

5. Say you have an A or B potential prospect but he is still a 68-74 overall by age 24 or older, is he not going to reach his potential? and is it time to move on?

Thanks in advance.
Since they instituted performance based progression I'm not sure anybody understand progression/regression. I've seen young A potential prospects declining in early April presumably because they had a poor spring training and/or poor start to the season.

It's no longer linear based upon potential and age although they may be factors.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #40
Rookie

dutchy25's Arena

Prospect Progression

I will add that if you have a prospect you are considering calling up to the MLB, waiting until he is hot is a good option. As well calling him up cold is a bad idea.

Because of injury I was left with a huge hole in my starting rotation. I chose to pick a prospect who was hot with a lower overall than a veteran with a higher overall but was cold.

The prospect has stayed hot since calling him up and is now 6-0 with a 2.56 era through 8 starts. If he ends up cooling off and starts to struggle due to his low ratings then I'll send him back down. But for now he is staying in my rotation over the veteran pitcher who got hurt in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »