Home

Prospect Progression

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy25
I will add that if you have a prospect you are considering calling up to the MLB, waiting until he is hot is a good option. As well calling him up cold is a bad idea.

Because of injury I was left with a huge hole in my starting rotation. I chose to pick a prospect who was hot with a lower overall than a veteran with a higher overall but was cold.

The prospect has stayed hot since calling him up and is now 6-0 with a 2.56 era through 8 starts. If he ends up cooling off and starts to struggle due to his low ratings then I'll send him back down. But for now he is staying in my rotation over the veteran pitcher who got hurt in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
What I do in franchise is simply trade my top prospects who aren't MLB ready for established players with MLB attributes because of the anarchy in progression renders prospects too unpredictable. Bird in the hand vs 2 in the bush theory.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Since they instituted performance based progression I'm not sure anybody understand progression/regression. I've seen young A potential prospects declining in early April presumably because they had a poor spring training and/or poor start to the season.

It's no longer linear based upon potential and age although they may be factors.

So basically, no one really knows and it's a crap-shoot. Cool!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega0862
So basically, no one really knows and it's a crap-shoot. Cool!
Briefly, here's where it's a crapshoot for me:

1. Does performance affect progression? If so, to what degree?
2. What do the potential letters mean? What does A potential mean? Does it correlate to a specific overall potential rating? For example, is 90+ potential an A? Or, does it indicate how quickly a player is likely to progress toward their potential? Maybe A means that a player reaches his potential twice as fast as a player with a B rating. Maybe not. Does anyone know for sure what the letters mean?
3. Do injuries affect progression? If so, to what degree?
4. Is there logic coded into the system to allow for outliers like an R.A. Dickey rising or Jamie Moyer lasting till age 50?
5. Does morale affect progression? If so, to what degree?

I could name 500 other questions that remain unanswered. I can understand not revealing the specific formulas for how much - for example - batting average in the minors affects contact progression. However, it'd be nice to know for certain that a player's minor league average definitely has at least some impact on progression.

There's no right or wrong opinion on this subject. If you feel like that game code / formulas / logic shouldn't be revealed, that's fine. What it comes down to is consequences. The consequence of us not knowing what variables impact progression or [insert one of countless other areas of the game], we choose to spend hours upon hours banging our heads together, hoping not to lose our cool, only to result in a reply like yours, which ultimately concludes that we have indeed come to no conclusion.

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #44
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
2. What do the potential letters mean? What does A potential mean? Does it correlate to a specific overall potential rating? For example, is 90+ potential an A? Or, does it indicate how quickly a player is likely to progress toward their potential? Maybe A means that a player reaches his potential twice as fast as a player with a B rating. Maybe not. Does anyone know for sure what the letters mean?
I can answer this one. A is 90+ potential. It has nothing to do with speed of improvement (that is unknowable). B is 80+, C is 70+, D is 50+. Not sure if they still have lower potentials they used to have an E and F, don't think they are in the game anymore.

You can actually use the player search function to determine the granular potential rating of a player. Search the player you want to scout by name and then set the minimum potential rating to the bottom of his stated potential (so 80 for a B prospect). Then just keep raising the minimum potential by one until his name disappears off the results list. The last number where he was visible is his potential.

I guess you can also go into the edit player screen, but that always feels like cheating to me and I only use it for positional changes or for my counter to the ridiculous regression system (even then I try to avoid it if possible).
Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
Briefly, here's where it's a crapshoot for me:

1. Does performance affect progression? If so, to what degree?
3. Do injuries affect progression? If so, to what degree?
4. Is there logic coded into the system to allow for outliers like an R.A. Dickey rising or Jamie Moyer lasting till age 50?
5. Does morale affect progression? If so, to what degree?

I could name 500 other questions that remain unanswered. I can understand not revealing the specific formulas for how much - for example - batting average in the minors affects contact progression. However, it'd be nice to know for certain that a player's minor league average definitely has at least some impact on progression.

There's no right or wrong opinion on this subject. If you feel like that game code / formulas / logic shouldn't be revealed, that's fine. What it comes down to is consequences. The consequence of us not knowing what variables impact progression or [insert one of countless other areas of the game], we choose to spend hours upon hours banging our heads together, hoping not to lose our cool, only to result in a reply like yours, which ultimately concludes that we have indeed come to no conclusion.
1 - yes they changed it due to people wanting it - there was a long thread/debate/argument about it on this website.

5 - to the extent morale impacts performance it impacts progression.

Everything else I'd be guessing.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #46
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

I could be wrong, but I think I remember in last year's game, a pitcher's stamina wouldn't progress regardless of whether or not you focused on that attribute via training. Is that still the case this year?
Old 04-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy25
I will add that if you have a prospect you are considering calling up to the MLB, waiting until he is hot is a good option. As well calling him up cold is a bad idea.

Because of injury I was left with a huge hole in my starting rotation. I chose to pick a prospect who was hot with a lower overall than a veteran with a higher overall but was cold.

The prospect has stayed hot since calling him up and is now 6-0 with a 2.56 era through 8 starts. If he ends up cooling off and starts to struggle due to his low ratings then I'll send him back down. But for now he is staying in my rotation over the veteran pitcher who got hurt in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Could you come back after the season and tell us whether or not his ratings skyrocketed after this great season he's having?

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
I could be wrong, but I think I remember in last year's game, a pitcher's stamina wouldn't progress regardless of whether or not you focused on that attribute via training. Is that still the case this year?
You are correct. No idea if it's still the case because I quit playing until if/when the game is patched but I doubt it has changed because I haven't heard of any mention of progression/regression being changed. I think speed also couldn't be increased with training. Speed might be realistic but relievers do convert to starters. Adam Wainwright is a good example.

One reason I disagreed with progression based upon performance is the sim engine and game engine produce different results and therefore cpu and user player progress differently but it's done now. We just have to deal with it.

Last edited by tessl; 04-15-2017 at 04:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »