Home

Relief Pitcher Logic Needs Patch

This is a discussion on Relief Pitcher Logic Needs Patch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Relief Pitcher Logic Needs Patch

So far after having played about 40 full games (No QC) I have only seen two instances where relief pitcher logic seemed correct. I have had a couple instances where the CPU manager properly went to lefty-lefty or righty-righty match ups. I understand some times the correct matchup might still be lefty-righty for instance. And when the CPU makes these matchup changes within an inning it is awesome.

Unfortunately, too often the obvious matchup changes aren't happening. When IRL the manager would clearly go with different match up late in the games, the CPU keeps in same pitcher..often a mid reliever. In one game against the Red Sox (CPU), I was the Yanks. It was top of 8th inning in 2-1 game with Yanks leading. The CPU kept in the MR pitcher. I took over the Red Sox and warmed up their two SU pitchers. I then returned control to CPU. Immediately the CPU sat down the two SU pitchers (both fully rested) and warmed up the two MR pitchers again. The CPU didn't even put those pitchers in. Instead, it kept in same pitcher who threw over 40 pitches. I was playing with manager hook at 7.

I hope SDS can fix this in next patch. Game plays so great and it is these little things that take so much from the great experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Relief Pitcher Logic Needs Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
So far after having played about 40 full games (No QC) I have only seen two instances where relief pitcher logic seemed correct. I have had a couple instances where the CPU manager properly went to lefty-lefty or righty-righty match ups. I understand some times the correct matchup might still be lefty-righty for instance. And when the CPU makes these matchup changes within an inning it is awesome.

Unfortunately, too often the obvious matchup changes aren't happening. When IRL the manager would clearly go with different match up late in the games, the CPU keeps in same pitcher..often a mid reliever. In one game against the Red Sox (CPU), I was the Yanks. It was top of 8th inning in 2-1 game with Yanks leading. The CPU kept in the MR pitcher. I took over the Red Sox and warmed up their two SU pitchers. I then returned control to CPU. Immediately the CPU sat down the two SU pitchers (both fully rested) and warmed up the two MR pitchers again. The CPU didn't even put those pitchers in. Instead, it kept in same pitcher who threw over 40 pitches. I was playing with manager hook at 7.

I hope SDS can fix this in next patch. Game plays so great and it is these little things that take so much from the great experience.
Try putting your reliever stamina slider at 0. This has worked in previous versions to keep bullpen innings low.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
Try putting your reliever stamina slider at 0. This has worked in previous versions to keep bullpen innings low.

I'm not referencing bullpen innings low so much as the illogic of the humanity AI. It does not make good situational decisions that many managers make IRL.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

I agree that middle relief pitching still isn't quite THERE yet...I've seen relief pitchers throwing multiple innings when I know that wouldn't happen otherwise.

I think more examples, specific details as to the score, outs, inning, due-up, energy, etc. is necessary though.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-17-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Rookie

By placing the reliever stamina slider at 0, the AI will not pitch your middle relievers, setup or closers multiple innings in a game of 3 runs or less. Have a long reliever in the LRP slot; he will help eat up blowout innings or extra innings. With this setting, AI has had a very quick hook in jams during a close game. You won't see multiple innings from your middle guys unless there is extra innings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Banned

better yet, QM every game that you do not play and use two controller.
you will now have the best sim stats and regular, 9-inning game only lasts 2-3 mins.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
By placing the reliever stamina slider at 0, the AI will not pitch your middle relievers, setup or closers multiple innings in a game of 3 runs or less. Have a long reliever in the LRP slot; he will help eat up blowout innings or extra innings. With this setting, AI has had a very quick hook in jams during a close game. You won't see multiple innings from your middle guys unless there is extra innings.

It is more than that though. The AI simply doesn't do matchups like IRL. Very rarely do you see a lefty brought in to face a lefty hitter for example. You never seen a one batter relief pitcher like is so often the case IRL. So yes you can cut down on multiple innings with the sliders but you still lack the matchup logic
Old 06-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
Banned

solution = qm

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »