Home

MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
As someone who has yet to go online once, and someone who does not care one bit for rewards (I actually wish I could just turn off all of the notifications), I think this is the best version of the Show ever. I wish franchise mode had some more updates this year, but overall, the gameplay is fantastic with the right sliders, and aside from a few issues like catchers not being good enough at blocking pitches in the dirt and position players still tiring too quickly in franchise mode, I think the game is great.

I've noticed a lot of menus having wrong text, wrong year for stats, etc. but those are minor cosmetic things. I like how the game plays, and only wish SDS spent more time on strengthening their QA versus pedaling some of the gimmicky things we saw prior to release (Ken Griffey's hat is BACKWARDS!).

All told, I've enjoyed the game, and I hope the community doesn't shut this game down via lack of support. I know that's asking a lot to continue to be patient, but be patient--they want to get this right for everyone.

Back to my franchise!
I play the same way you do, but am on the complete opposite side of the reaction spectrum. I support the online players in their absolute disgust and frustration and believe that -- while you're right: being patient or giving up on the game are the only two options -- taking the "just be patient, they're good guys who want to get it right" stance is ridiculous. This is a LEGACY issue madeworse by the fact that this year SSD has pushed almost all their chips into the middle of the DD online table while not having the infrastructure to support the traffic. Not only that, but instead of just shutting down servers until they're fixed -- I know, money, never gonna happen -- they continue to play with people's time and even released a new "mission" while all this is going on. Irresponsible and inexcusable. Add to this their "Note to the Community" in which they never once used the words "sorry" or "apologize," but promised -- oh, joy! -- FREE STUFF and....well, patience would be, quite frankly, irresponsible.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3
I don't think I totally understand this mentality that some in the OS community have around developers. It very much feels like, per those folks, no one is ever, ever, ever to become upset over the way a game releases. You're allowed to provide "constructive criticism", but anything other than that can become reason for deletion of posts or banning (and, for the record, I'm not, by any means, condoning personal attacks on devs).

Well, funny thing around constructive criticism: I'm not a software engineer. And even if I was I simply don't have access to the game's coding. So it's a little difficult to provide constructive criticism around why the game's online modes don't work.

I can't imagine ANY other industry/commercial product where this is acceptable. If you buy a new car from Chevy and it doesn't go into reverse, are you satisfied with "you just have to be patient until Chevy finds a fix"? No! "Oh, and you better be an engineer because, unless you can tell us WHY the car won't go into reverse, we don't wanna hear it."

Sure, a car costs considerably more than a video game. But let's use a battery-operated shower cleaner. If you put the batteries in and it doesn't spray, would anyone find it reasonable for the consumer to "wait for a fix"? No! You'd return it as broken and have the choice, as a consumer, to buy a different product from another developer.

But video games don't work that way. Once you open that plastic wrapping, it's yours. If it doesn't perform to established expectations? Well, sucks for you, because no returning it. So you're either forced to wait for a fix (and you BETTER not say anything bad about the product - only constructive criticism!) or you sell it on the open market. It's absolutely absurd that we let the video game industry get away with such things.

But, that's where capitalism is so great. If you truly want to change those practices, you simply stop buying the product. SDS is a business here to make a profit. No profit means changes to the product, or no more business. So, maybe we should all put our money where our mouths are and stop buying the game until the devs decide to put out a working product that is worth the cost they charge.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
We're having a mature discussion...we can be critical without bashing SCEA and calling their game garbage and the developers liars.
We CAN, but I say as long as attacks aren't of a personal nature, SSD-bashing is well-deserved, so long as the criticisms have basis in fact. When you go No-Man's-Sky silent for over a week and haven't apologized, you get what you deserve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfette
I don't think I totally understand this mentality that some in the OS community have around developers. It very much feels like, per those folks, no one is ever, ever, ever to become upset over the way a game releases. You're allowed to provide "constructive criticism", but anything other than that can become reason for deletion of posts or banning (and, for the record, I'm not, by any means, condoning personal attacks on devs).

Well, funny thing around constructive criticism: I'm not a software engineer. And even if I was I simply don't have access to the game's coding. So it's a little difficult to provide constructive criticism around why the game's online modes don't work.

I can't imagine ANY other industry/commercial product where this is acceptable. If you buy a new car from Chevy and it doesn't go into reverse, are you satisfied with "you just have to be patient until Chevy finds a fix"? No! "Oh, and you better be an engineer because, unless you can tell us WHY the car won't go into reverse, we don't wanna hear it."

Sure, a car costs considerably more than a video game. But let's use a battery-operated shower cleaner. If you put the batteries in and it doesn't spray, would anyone find it reasonable for the consumer to "wait for a fix"? No! You'd return it as broken and have the choice, as a consumer, to buy a different product from another developer.

But video games don't work that way. Once you open that plastic wrapping, it's yours. If it doesn't perform to established expectations? Well, sucks for you, because no returning it. So you're either forced to wait for a fix (and you BETTER not say anything bad about the product - only constructive criticism!) or you sell it on the open market. It's absolutely absurd that we let the video game industry get away with such things.

But, that's where capitalism is so great. If you truly want to change those practices, you simply stop buying the product. SDS is a business here to make a profit. No profit means changes to the product, or no more business. So, maybe we should all put our money where our mouths are and stop buying the game until the devs decide to put out a working product that is worth the cost they charge.
Great post, especially concerning the "constructive criticism." I've always felt that OS was too sensitive about this, but at the same time I understand their desire to control the vocabulary used on their site. The "provide a solution or don't complain" angle is total garbage -- it's a mealy-mouthed middle-management business mantra meant to prevent the boat from rocking even while it's sinking.

The difference with video games and product returns, quite simply, is a simple caveat emptor: these are true luxury items, and the buyer can easily wait a week or two to see how things play out. But we don't, mainly because we love them and their releases are treated with such fanfare, much like blockbuster movies. It's our own fault at this point, and that sucks.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #37
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Re: MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
We're having a mature discussion...we can be critical without bashing SCEA and calling their game garbage and the developers liars.
I have said this before, the game is great, it's the servers that are garbage. They make me want to

Last edited by Dolenz; 04-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #38
Banned

Is there any end to the server issues? I want to get the osfm rosters downloaded but cant
Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #39
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
No one at OS has told me to be supportive. I find there's great benefit in being kind when possible. I know it's frustrating, but you're stressing yourself out over a video game which isn't healthy. And even if we consider the game a total loss, it's $60. Sucks, but not the end of the world.

For what it's worth, franchise mode seems to be playing quite well. It's the only mode I've played so far, so I can't speak to the other modes. I can say, I haven't been frustrated with the game because I am simply avoiding those areas for now (accidental at first, but now intentional).

I get what folks are saying about saying what they want, but I guess outside of venting, I'm not sure the purpose it serves. I think SDS knows folks are disappointed and frustrated.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #40
Pro

MLB14's Arena

The Show was always shaky online, but it was never like what I read this year. It seems like the server instability has gotten worse every year from 2014..

I think the problems lie more in the code powering online game connections than the servers themselves. I think that because how could they so badly underestimate the server bandwidth they would need for a solid launch.

This is the first year I've ever seen the game put up ridiculous distances for HRs too, but I'm giving them a pass on that because I know the new in-air ball physics are probably causing that. If they don't fix that though.. It's a negative point in my opinion. Human beings cannot hit a ball further than ~475 ft. at sea level (without wind).

Graphically, the game is outstanding. Under the hood.. I think the foundation they've built on over the past several years is buckling. This is the first year I've seen MLB 2K-like game glitches in MLB The Show and it's kinda weird.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »