Home

Directional hitting on critical situations has to be predetermined

This is a discussion on Directional hitting on critical situations has to be predetermined within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Directional hitting on critical situations has to be predetermined

Too many times have I popped into the 9th inning and had swings with good timing on pitches right down the middle, hanging breaking balls, fastballs right down the pipe, doesn't matter, even hitters with good contact and vision are just completely wiffing on balls that major leaguers kill regularly. It's almost like if the opponents closer is in the game the engine decides you are not hitting anything.

I don't care what anyone says. I understand that ratings matter in directional hitting more than any other style of hitting, but come on! A guy with 82 contact and 76 power with 79 vision should at the minimum get wood on a 3-0 pith right down the middle with good timing.

Loved directional hitting last year but is year it just feels terrible and scripted. Switching to zone + timing this year. I am tired of the game deciding the outcomes of games for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Directional hitting on critical situations has to be predetermined

Doesn't sound like anything pre-determined. Just sounds like directional hitting. I haven't used directional/timing hitting since '12. It's way too random for my liking.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

They aren't going to code it any differently for critical situations. It's just the randomness of directional hitting.

My advice would to be switch to zone

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Loved directional hitting last year but is year it just feels terrible and scripted. Switching to zone + timing this year. I am tired of the game deciding the outcomes of games for me.
It's not. It's baseball. It doesn't work out how you want it every time.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Mav3rek7's Arena

I've grown a little frustrated with it this year as well. I've had at least 3 hits that should have been crushed homers, all end up as harmless fly outs. Or at least in my mind they should have been crushed.

Twice with Adam Duvall (power hitter) I've had 3-0 or 3-1 counts. I sit dead red and time up the pitch down the middle perfectly with a power swing, and the thing dies on the warning track. Votto was similar, 3-1 down the middle, good timing, power swing, medium fly ball to left.

I thought for sure both of Duvall's were going upper deck. I timed it up perfect and used a power swing, yet both ended up as just simple outs.

Granted it's baseball, it's random, not every power hitter is going to crush it every time, etc... but when I time up a pitch perfectly like that, I almost feel cheated a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
It's not. It's baseball. It doesn't work out how you want it every time.
Come on man, that's not what I'm saying at all!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rek7
I've grown a little frustrated with it this year as well. I've had at least 3 hits that should have been crushed homers, all end up as harmless fly outs. Or at least in my mind they should have been crushed.

Twice with Adam Duvall (power hitter) I've had 3-0 or 3-1 counts. I sit dead red and time up the pitch down the middle perfectly with a power swing, and the thing dies on the warning track. Votto was similar, 3-1 down the middle, good timing, power swing, medium fly ball to left.

I thought for sure both of Duvall's were going upper deck. I timed it up perfect and used a power swing, yet both ended up as just simple outs.

Granted it's baseball, it's random, not every power hitter is going to crush it every time, etc... but when I time up a pitch perfectly like that, I almost feel cheated a bit.
Yeah I agree. I'm not saying I should it every time but good major leaguers make pitchers pay for going down in the count like that. THe problem is it doesn't feel like the cpu is missing those ones.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Then switch to a hitting control scheme that requires some user skill and input.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »