Home

Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game.

This is a discussion on Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game.

Next step -- superstar quirks.

Thor gets "Hammer of the Gods" for his fastball.

Schwarbs gets "Cyborg" for injury recovery.

Roughned gets "Jawbreaker" for his overhand right.

Seriously, though, I do very much like the IDEA of quirks, but I would also very much like to know what they're doing under the hood. What more can "Bomber" add to Stanton, honestly? Situational quirks, like the one for hitting the first pitch, are more intriguing.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #34
Rookie

Aren't quirks dependent on the player rating? When I create players and give them 99 speed, they always have a speedster quirk.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
Aren't quirks dependent on the player rating? When I create players and give them 99 speed, they always have a speedster quirk.

Some are, but those quirks just represent a players rating and have no effect on gameplay. There are others that have been assigned by sds that give a player a boost. Like two strike hitter or guys that perform better when your team is behind. Unfortunately boost quirks don't show up based on performance, but I'm sure that will come in next years game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #36
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSacamano
I don't know what this means, but I was checking out my team's quirks and noticed that a bunch of hitters had pitcher's quirks. Is this a visual bug? Or a bug bug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visual bug.

I love the Quirks. I check them every AB both hitting and pitching and have begun to memorize my divisional opponents quirks. I already know my teams quirks pretty well.

It’s really been great and their affect has been terrific on the game in terms of the boosts, quirks cancelling each other, and also how I pitch or approach an AB.

Huge new feature that builds upon the expanded player personalities along with the morale system.

Thanks for that spread sheet too. Very nice to have that handy for a quick reminder on what they mean.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #37
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Seriously, though, I do very much like the IDEA of quirks, but I would also very much like to know what they're doing under the hood. What more can "Bomber" add to Stanton, honestly? Situational quirks, like the one for hitting the first pitch, are more intriguing.
The Bomber quirk is just to indicate his power rating. It doesn't add anything in terms of a boost. The attribute based quirks are simply visual...meant to be a quick way to recognize standout attributes.

Personally, I think the attribute based ones are something that become more useful over time, when your league starts to fill with prospects and CAPs. Bomber doesn't tell me anything about Stanton I don't already know, but it serves as a nice indicator of Joe Random's capabilities when I face him in 2020.

I agree about situational ones...I'd like to see that expanded on, moving forward.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
The Bomber quirk is just to indicate his power rating. It doesn't add anything in terms of a boost. The attribute based quirks are simply visual...meant to be a quick way to recognize standout attributes.

Personally, I think the attribute based ones are something that become more useful over time, when your league starts to fill with prospects and CAPs. Bomber doesn't tell me anything about Stanton I don't already know, but it serves as a nice indicator of Joe Random's capabilities when I face him in 2020.

I agree about situational ones...I'd like to see that expanded on, moving forward.
I don't think Bomber is based on power, guys like Pujols have only 80 power and they have bomber while Rookie Greg Bird has 96 power and has no quirks. There are others like it as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #39
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlAtlZiX
I don't think Bomber is based on power, guys like Pujols have only 80 power and they have bomber while Rookie Greg Bird has 96 power and has no quirks. There are others like it as well.
They need to be at least 75 for both PVL and PVR. Bird is 81/64 in my roster. Pujols is 80/76. Bird's PVL is keeping him from the Bomber quirk.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #40
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

I look for dead red and first pitch hitter a lot. It might be in my head, but I think I have done better pitching and hitting when I pay attention to the 4 (or so) that actually impact ab's.

Even if it is in my head, it's pretty cool. It's an added element of depth. Adds to the fun and drama!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »