Home

Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game.

This is a discussion on Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game.

Just wondering during a franchise game, Does anyone ever check batters Quirks against pitcher. And most important, do you think they actually have an affect in the game. For example, they show SP as a control artist, work horse, and yet he gets pulled in the 5th. I see a batter as Road warrior, but checking stats he hits much better at home.

I see players loaded with different quirks and some with none. I've got a player that has FIGHTER, Hitting Machine,Clutch. and yet after 20 simmed games he has the lowest Batting ave on the team.

So for example, I have a pitcher with Untouchable, Control artist, Cheesy, homebody. In a home game going up against a Dead red, clutch, road warrior, Hitting machine. Which would mean, my pitcher supposedly excels at striking out hitters, limits walks, throws and extremely effective fastball and pitches more effectively at home. FACING a batter that excels at getting hits and getting on base high contact hitter. excels at hitting the fast ball. he is a better hitter at away games and clutch at the plate.

Who wins this battle, what determines the outcome, do these quirks raise and lower player ratings. Does that mean that this batter and pitcher are equal. How does the game compare these quirks to another players quirks. Are player ratings affected at all.? Do quirks actual matter or or they just cosmetic.

If they do matter, it must be a very complex system to give advantage to one player or another. And do they only matter in simmed games, or do they also affect human owned and played games.

If you do check them before each batter, Does it change the way you pitch to that batter, or the way you bat against the pitcher, I was checking every time, But i have came to the conclusion that i don't think it has an affect. What about you.

And it would be nice if they would put out an list of every quirk and exactly what it does and how it can affect the game. That would make it far more interesting. If i really thought they worked, and how they worked against the opposing player, It would make the game even more strategic and even more interesting.

So my question is. Do you use them, Do you think they actually have an impact on the game or do you see them a cosmetic or just ignore them completely. Would like to hear your opinions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Quirks. Does anyone really check them out in a game.

I play with the PCI on so I usually remember to check them when I feel like my batters PCI has gotten larger or smaller than I remember.

Remembering that the quirks that do have an actual affect and are not 'summarizing' a guys stuff, for lack of a better term, only have an effect on the batters PCI.

Last edited by Finn; 04-18-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

I posted in another thread. I had actually forgotten about them until like two days ago. So yeah I guess the are a little pointless to me. Going thru my roster after about 30 or so games I don't see where they have had any impact whatsoever.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't check them, or look when facing a batter or pitcher. I guess, like morale, they are just there and do what they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

I haven't checked them once and probably won't ever. I'm not against them as an idea, but I just don't see what influence they will have on my decision making? Am I going to pinch hit with someone just because of some perk, or am I going to do it on ratings and situation? The latter. Am I going to approach an at bat different knowing I have a slightly larger PCI for being at home? Course not.

Maybe the perks will help me out or hinder me without me knowing, but it all seems pretty irrelevant to my decision making process, so I don't see much need in knowing them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

I didn't even know this was a thing. Where can I find them exactly?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

Something I think we all need to get used to, ex. using Mariners in a game Cano has one on first pitches, you would not believe how large his PCI gets on that first pitch.

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I check them every ab until I have them memorized....and I definitely see an impact.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »