Home

Brett Gardner's Power is overrated in this game. Is anyone else...

This is a discussion on Brett Gardner's Power is overrated in this game. Is anyone else... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #41
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Brett Gardner's Power is overrated in this game. Is anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jros22
It seems SCEA uses slugging% to assign the power ratings, Gutierrez has 90+ power because his slug% the past 3 years are .503, .620 and .452 which are elite but he played 41, 59 and 98 gms so they should have considered that it was on a small sample size and regress those numbers a little.
Don't they use ISO? If they used slugging, I'm not sure how they could give him 90. His slg has been .516 over the past 3 years. Doesn't pop out as 90 to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMan17
I'm having the same but with Ellsbury not Gardner! Through April 26th in my franchise Ellsbury has 8 home runs (maybe 9)
We are on the same boat.

I probably would have had 8 with Gardner by April 26th If I was playing with the Power Slider at Default.

What are your power sliders set at?

I had mine set to 1 for the whole month of April and May.

That is too high of a number though. If you have 8 in the first month and lets say you go on a slump and hit 5 the next 5 months that means you would have a total of 33 Homeruns with Ellsbury. Which is still a realistic number for Ellsbury because he hit 32 in 2011 when he was with Boston.
But the only thing that bothers me is the fact that Gardner is 51 Power vs Rhp and 40 vs Lhp and Ellsbury is rated 48 power vs Rhp and 40 vs Lhp.

So that means hitting 30 homers with Gardner would be possible in the game when it shouldn't be. I feel like the Power ratings should be reversed for Jacoby and Brett. Ellsbury should have the 51 and 40 power ratings. And Gardner should be the 48 and 40 or even lower.

The thing that is bothering me the most is that I'm tied for most homeruns in the team with Gardner. I am also second in the AL in batting average with Brett Gardner. The batting Average doesn't bother me as much though. I'm just having a great year with him.

Last edited by Razeart2422; 04-20-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #43
Rookie

Jros22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Don't they use ISO? If they used slugging, I'm not sure how they could give him 90. His slg has been .516 over the past 3 years. Doesn't pop out as 90 to me.
I'm not sure but either way his power numbers the past 3 years are crazy but in limited time so i agree he's overrated. If you change his primary to LF his OVR goes up to 87 because speed has a lot of value as a CF something he doesn't have and he can hit 40+ HR in franchises which it's not accurate.

Statcast 90 ft times converted to MLB The Show Ratings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #44
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jros22
I'm not sure but either way his power numbers the past 3 years are crazy but in limited time so i agree he's overrated. If you change his primary to LF his OVR goes up to 87 because speed has a lot of value as a CF something he doesn't have and he can hit 40+ HR in franchises which it's not accurate.
Tbf he has average a 32hr/162 for the past 3 years so it's not way off. But I agree high 70s is more accurate.

I'm usually all for advanced metrics for rating players. But for power, I feel like home runs are the best way to measure them by.

In my experience contact rating and speed are more important for doubles/triples than power. So using slg or iso doesn't carry over as well in game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »