Home

Zone vs Directional

This is a discussion on Zone vs Directional within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #17
RC3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Zone vs Directional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I REALLY think you should try sliders before switching to center swinging on zone. I know you think it's cheating but think about it: they have only a month or two to do bug testing and balancing on multiple interfaces. Giving the users sliders can lead to cheating, but in reality it's to help balance the game.

Here's what I suggest: Go into batting practice with a batter and a pitcher you are familiar with. Keep hopping in and out using the same two and adjusting the sliders until the results feel good to you (ie what you would expect in that matchup). This is a good place to start. Make sure to adjust your sliders in the mode you are using (sliders can be mode dependent) to match the sliders you made from batting pratice, then make small adjustments to any issues you see with a wider data pool.

I know it takes more initial effort, but trust me when I say that the results will be worth it.
Why do you think directional is much better than Zone? I will try the batting practice thing. Use like Trout and a pitcher in the division (one I've seen alot?) you're saying and adjust after like 20 ABs or something?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #18
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Look into some of the sliders posted here and up your difficulty. I'm playing with Mike Lowe's sliders on HOF w/zone and no PCI. It's a challenge but I don't have everyone of my guys batting .300. I have some success with some and with others I struggle. It's fun to go through slumps and try to make the necessary adjustments to get back on track. I always played on All Star but I'm loving the challenge HOF brings. And I believe a good slider set will give even more difficulty if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #19
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

people that use zone do you guys move the left analog stick at all

Last edited by COMMISSIONERHBK9; 04-25-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #20
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3
Why do you think directional is much better than Zone? I will try the batting practice thing. Use like Trout and a pitcher in the division (one I've seen alot?) you're saying and adjust after like 20 ABs or something?
I don't think any interface is superior, I think they all are good, it just depends on the individual player. Seeing that you were just going to center swing, I have a feeling that zone really isn't the interface for you. Remember, that's what I came from, and trust me I am enjoying directional FAR more than center swinging, I just had to work the details out.

And yeah, try to go for a pitcher that you see a lot and has relatively standard stuff and mid to low ratings. Doesn't have to be a borderline minors guy I'm just saying don't pick Kershaw.

If you're using Trout a lot you probably have an expectation on how he should perform, especially on certain pitches in certain locations. Keep adjusting the sliders until you're expectation and you're results match, or are at least close.

Also remember to choose your swing type. Each has a benefit and a cost but the benefit almost always outweighs the cost. I mention this just because there are a lot of people who don't pick a direction in directional hitting, and that alone can cause a lot of problems. I've written a lot about it in the teach me/strategies thread but at this point I think I might just make a new thread teaching all I've learned about directional. People seem to want info on it.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #21
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
people that use zone do you guys the left analog stick at all

Some guys leave the pci in the middle and wait for a pitch. I move the pci with the left stick on any pitches I attempt to swing at. I think the combination of swing placement, timing, and the batter's attributes make zone the more realistic hitting option IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
RC3
Rookie

Quote:
Played 5 games last night back to zone and it was wonderful. I don't use the left stick unless I have a power hitter or up in the count and then I slightly leave it up to hit the high fastball in the stands. If it's low, even a strike I just take the pitch. Usually with one strike I just center it and leave it.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #23
Pro

SolidSnake07's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Nope. On Vet and all-star the classic pci is big enough to cover enough of the plate.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake07
Nope. On Vet and all-star the classic pci is big enough to cover enough of the plate.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
this....i dont touch it at all. If you're patient enough you wont need to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »