Home

Directional Hitting Guide

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting Guide within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #553
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Directional Hitting Guide

It could very well be coincidence, or could very well not be, but this last game I played was the best I’ve ever hit. I concentrated on just pull and push swings (pressing only right or left) and not at all up or down. I crushed the ball. I had 12 total hits, including 4 doubles and a home run. It was like a different game. Hopefully it wasn’t just a one-time fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #554
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

I’m going to try this no power just regular right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
It could very well be coincidence, or could very well not be, but this last game I played was the best I’ve ever hit. I concentrated on just pull and push swings (pressing only right or left) and not at all up or down. I crushed the ball. I had 12 total hits, including 4 doubles and a home run. It was like a different game. Hopefully it wasn’t just a one-time fluke.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #555
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

I’m curious what situations generally create the best situations for you guys to hit balls past the outfielders in the gaps for doubles. I’ve been sticking with directional hitting this year, as opposed to my normal flip-flopping between zone and directional. However, I’m almost at the All-Star break and while my big bats like Bryant, Rizzo and Schwarber are doing okay, my other hitters have abysmal batting averages. I think Baez is now hitting below .220, Zobrist is .230 at best, Heyward in the .230’s, etc.

I just can’t hit with these guys and it becomes increasingly frustrating. I notice that I really have trouble driving the ball into the gaps.

I’m curious for those getting good results in this area, what are you doing? Are you pushing up and to the right/left? As in the 1 o’clock and 11 o’clock positions? Or just pushing left or right? I’ve had a few games here and there where I’ve had great results, but in general they are few and far between. I took timing up one notch for a few games and absolutely destroyed the ball to the point where I felt like I was cheating. Especially in my 14-0 drubbing over the Cardinals.

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #556
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't think there's any secret to hitting the gaps except good timing and good trajectory. Don't even need a ton of power because good placement and they can't cut it off.

I mostly go down or down away with most of my hitters to try keeping the trajectories down (minimize the floaty flies as much as possible, assuming they get good PCI placement and my timing is decent - JL/G/JE).

Other than that, it's a lot like the real game, a matter of "chance". Hitters can't really control where the ball gets hit to that degree.

I do use the power swing, with pretty much anyone with good contact/vision and medium-ish power (50-70+), especially in advantage counts (2-0, 2-1, 3-1) though I know many around here think it's from the devil.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #557
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't think there's any secret to hitting the gaps except good timing and good trajectory. Don't even need a ton of power because good placement and they can't cut it off.

I mostly go down or down away with most of my hitters to try keeping the trajectories down (minimize the floaty flies as much as possible, assuming they get good PCI placement and my timing is decent - JL/G/JE).

Other than that, it's a lot like the real game, a matter of "chance". Hitters can't really control where the ball gets hit to that degree.

I do use the power swing, with pretty much anyone with good contact/vision and medium-ish power (50-70+), especially in advantage counts (2-0, 2-1, 3-1) though I know many around here think it's from the devil.
Yeah, I rarely use power swing. My problem is not my power guys its Zobrist, Russell, Baez (who should be a power guy), and a few others. They never hit. I might go 1-for-4 on a good day. Never, every seem to have that 3-for-4 or 4-for-4 game with them very often.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 08-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #558
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Do any of you guys ever just swing with no direction? I noticed on the original post it said to always choose a direction, “even if you choose no direction.” Which doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t no direction not choosing a direction? I’m confused on that one.

But anyway, I’ve often wondered, does the direction in which we swing sometimes cause a negative influence? For example, if we are trying to go the other way with the ball (pressing right on the analog stick with a right handed batter) and the pitch is inside, could this result in weak contact? Or is it more dependent on our timing (which I agree is the most important factor).

Streaming on Twitch
Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #559
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Do any of you guys ever just swing with no direction? I noticed on the original post it said to always choose a direction, “even if you choose no direction.” Which doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t no direction not choosing a direction? I’m confused on that one.

But anyway, I’ve often wondered, does the direction in which we swing sometimes cause a negative influence? For example, if we are trying to go the other way with the ball (pressing right on the analog stick with a right handed batter) and the pitch is inside, could this result in weak contact? Or is it more dependent on our timing (which I agree is the most important factor).

The only time I do is when I’m hitting with a Balance hitter and it’s a 1-1 or 3-2 count...then I just hit X....other than that I either look to pull on hitter counts and push on two strike counts...but that is just basic no one on stuff...when you get runners on and who’s batter everything changes...
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #560
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

The point I was trying to make in the OP was that you should always actively choose your influence. No influence has it's benefits and costs just like every other influence, so by refusing to actively choose what influence you use in the current count/situation, you are forcing non-ideal swings into those situations.

You should use a no influence swing because you chose to use it based on the count and batter at the plate, not because you can't think of anything else to do. That's the point I was trying to get across.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »