Home

Changing a players position and overalls

This is a discussion on Changing a players position and overalls within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Changing a players position and overalls

I know that overalls aren't the be all end all but when you change a player to a different position and their overall goes way up why is that? I looked at the stats and they're all the same. I drafted Corey Seager and Trevor Story so I wanted to change Story's primary position to 2B. When I do this his overall goes from 79 to 88 without any attributes changing. What gives? Are positional overalls weighted differently? Will he now play much better in game? I want to change his primary position for things like awards and all star voting but this feels like cheating.

Last edited by JT2111; 04-28-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Changing a players position and overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2111
... Are positional overalls weighted differently?
The answer is yes. OVR is basically a weighted average of (some of) player attributes, and the weight is different for each position according to what skills are valued for that position.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

It's not cheating, and he's still the same player. Based on the game's weighted values for skills at different positions, he's a better fit at second base.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyStroke3
It's not cheating, and he's still the same player. Based on the game's weighted values for skills at different positions, he's a better fit at second base.
Second basemen can be like a 90 overall without even having attributes in the 80s, I've found. Moved a 3B with 72-78 in every attribute but speed (87) to 2B, and he was a 92.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

How do people feel about changing a players position?

I traded for Schwarber and not only did i have no use for him in left field but from what i understand hes not the greatest at it anyways. I also have no use for him at catcher and apparently hes not great at that either anyways.

I read a bunch of articles about him saying that the cubs thought he could play first but obviously Rizzo plays first so that doesnt work but ideally in the national league with no DH first base makes the most sense for Schwarber, who at any position, is probably a liability.

So i changed him to 1B. I dunno why but I feel like I cheated. I feel like its reasonable to change a players position if it makes sense that a real life team would do that but I cant seem to shake the feeling I cheated.

Curious to know how others feel about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty

I traded for Schwarber and not only did i have no use for him in left field but from what i understand hes not the greatest at it anyways. I also have no use for him at catcher and apparently hes not great at that either anyways.

I read a bunch of articles about him saying that the cubs thought he could play first but obviously Rizzo plays first so that doesnt work but ideally in the national league with no DH first base makes the most sense for Schwarber, who at any position, is probably a liability.

So i changed him to 1B. I dunno why but I feel like I cheated. I feel like its reasonable to change a players position if it makes sense that a real life team would do that but I cant seem to shake the feeling I cheated.

Also curious about this as well...
Old 04-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

I think its reasonable to picture the Cubs using Schwarber at 1B, esp. if something were to happen to Rizzo, but mainly just to give Rizzo a day off. and to get Schwarber more AB's DH him in IL games (obviously, d'uh).
the ideal thing for the Cubs (you) to do is trade him for maximum return, whether that be prospect(s) or another MLB ready player of equal talent or potential or pitching, esp. if it saves you moolah in the process.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:

I don't think it's cheating. If Rizzo went down with a big injury, the Cubs would definitely think about moving Schwarber to first.

If you're worried about realism, you could just play him at 1st for the rest of the season w/o changing his position. He'll take a ratings hit as 1st is not his secondary position, but it's not like he'll let everything get past.

Then in the offseason you can change his position, which should boost his performance. This is likely the way it would play out in real life. He'd get a lot of work in during the off season and would end up being replacement level or better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »