Home

Stealing-does this happen to anyone else?

This is a discussion on Stealing-does this happen to anyone else? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
Rookie

gp005's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stealing-does this happen to anyone else?

the runners hands or feet often hover over the bag as hes sliding (dont know if its a glitch) giving the SS more time to apply a tag.... i have gone into replay so many times..lol

if i dont get a great jump, i will retreat back to first ( its the only way i can keep success rate somewhat average with the rest of MLB....)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
Rookie

ukas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
One thing I always found odd...not just in this year's iteration of the game...is the cpu often (not always) seems to know when I will be stealing.

Example - runner on first (does not have to be a speed demon)...I press the left stick and L2 for the steal while pitcher is going into wind up. More often than not, the pitcher will throw over to first or even sometimes pitch out.

Now this may not seem odd, but it could be the first time I attempted a steal like in the 6th inning or something. Not like I have been running all day. There must be something in the code that triggers when I indicate I am stealing. I can't figure it out.

I am NOT using L1 to take a bigger lead. It is just L2 to indicate the steal.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes and I hate it. The CPU will always try to pick me off if I queue up a steal. Don't queue up a steal and the CPU never tries to pick me off.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Same here. So far I've had decent success "knock on wood"
I pick my spots and certain criteria needs to be there (count, pitcher on mound, catcher arm etc..)

I rarely take an extra step (bi-product of a couple years ago that seemed to be an auto success when extra step was taken) -- haven't played enough to know if that is an issue this year.
Far from automatic Skyboxer and actually needed to have success with lesser speed lead off guys like Elsbury.

Stealing is highly realistic this year. You really need to get a good jump on the right count and right pitch as well as pitcher.

Watch the quirks for pick-off artist too. You do not want to take that extra step with that quirk in play.

Dee Gordon, Starling Marte, Billy hamilton.....elite base stealers. You will steal with them more often than not.

But i am getting nailed with Elsbury in my franchise. In fact through May 9th I have been caught 5 times. That is a little too high. But I am now resigned to fact that his 79 speed is simply not good enough to be a consistent base stealer anymore and I must really pick my spots much better with him. Same with Brett Gardner and his 73 speed. Also the steal rating is vital. that determines how good of a jump they get.

To compensate a little I did turn up steal ability a couple of clicks and pickoff frequency to 6 in combination with base runner speed at 3....I am getting very realistic results both in games and simulated stats around the league.

Finally a real true cat and mouse game within the game and true strategy is involved with swiping bags this year.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukas
Yes and I hate it. The CPU will always try to pick me off if I queue up a steal. Don't queue up a steal and the CPU never tries to pick me off.
Default lead and not que up a steal and they will still throw over if the situation calls for a possible stolen base attempt. I also am able to get an extra step, que a steal and take off.

Count, situation, pitcher on the bump, runner speed and runner steal rating and pitch type thrown all factor into the success rate.

They do not try to pick off every time. That has not been my experience.

And let me ask you something.....if you are Billy Hamilton or Dee Gordon etc....it would be pretty lame if the CPU did not try and keep you very very honest.....and work you. You need to earn that good jump.

I swear....when they make the game more realistic.....people cry. When they dumb it down...then people cry it is not hard enough.

They can't win for losing.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Default lead and not que up a steal and they will still throw over if the situation calls for a possible stolen base attempt. I also am able to get an extra step, que a steal and take off.

Count, situation, pitcher on the bump, runner speed and runner steal rating and pitch type thrown all factor into the success rate.

They do not try to pick off every time. That has not been my experience.

And let me ask you something.....if you are Billy Hamilton or Dee Gordon etc....it would be pretty lame if the CPU did not try and keep you very very honest.....and work you. You need to earn that good jump.

I swear....when they make the game more realistic.....people cry. When they dumb it down...then people cry it is not hard enough.

With all due respect A&S, I have noticed an uncanny ESP type attribute by the CPU. It is true that more often than not, anytime I queue up a steal, the pitcher will throw over. And this can be with non speed demons. I could be doing a hit and run on a first pitch. It is not always the typical "good time for a steal or hit and run" counts.

It's odd...and it does not happen every single time...but it does happen enough for me to notice it as unusual and to question what is going on.

For example, yesterday I had a runner on first with 35 speed and less than 10 Steal attribute. The count was 0-0. I started him for a hit and run by pressing LS and L2. Pitcher threw over. I had not attempted a steal or hit and run up to that point.

Day before I had a catcher on first very low rated speed and I triggered L2 by mistake. Pitcher threw over.

C
Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
I gave up on stealing this year..I can't even swipe a base half the time..even with Mookie Betts holding an 83 speed rating..Even with a good jump I get tossed out more often than not..

Me too. I can have anyone on base and get thrown out 95% of the time. No matter the situation, or...my favourite, they pick me off leaning or my guy starts running early and he looks like an amateur. I have played around 70 games so far and about 40 have been with the Blue Jays. Kevin Pillar (yes I know he's not a shining example of base stealing ability) gets picked off, quite literally every single game. Not safe once. Meanwhile just last night Freddie Freeman stole a base on me. Magically my catcher (Russell Martin) threw some weird high arching lob to the base. Freddie Freeman! The cpu can swipe bags on me all day long, seemingly with anyone they want and I can't get a single bag.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

Well I don't get it..Never had any problems with stealing ever..Without having the stats in front of me, Videogame Mookie has been caught stealing more than actual steals..I can rarely take an extra step with him without being picked up on picked off..and when he does take off, he's out by a foot..

Lifetime Betts has been caught 13 times..out of 70 tries. I think I have been caught at least 5 times so far this season..I'm using Armor's sliders and at All-Star difficulty too..If you can't take a decent step off the bag, not sure how else I can get him safely to 2nd..

But on the other side, I have no problems throwing out runners..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #16

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

C'mon man, this is extremely unfair.

Like Capa said, I've queued guys for hit and runs that have no business stealing and have never had pickoff's attempted their way in the past that all of a sudden get a throw over to first.

People pointing something out is no people "crying."

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »