Home

Anyone else think Pitch Confidence has always been "broken"?

This is a discussion on Anyone else think Pitch Confidence has always been "broken"? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Anyone else think Pitch Confidence has always been "broken"?

I've always liked the idea of the pitch confidence meter. I just never think it's been implemented properly. It's all based on strikes and balls and hits and outs when that doesn't tell the whole story. If I throw an 0-2 change up in the dirt and my opponent doesn't swing, I shouldn't lose confidence in that pitch. I was trying to throw a ball to set up my next pitch. If I throw a fastball down the middle and it gets crushed 450 feet but barely foul, I shouldn't gain confidence in the pitch. A pitcher knows when he's getting rocked, even for outs, and shouldn't gain confidence giving up ropes that get caught, just like a pitcher wouldn't lose confidence in his stuff if he is getting dinked. But the pitch confidence philosophy has gone unchanged for as long as it's been in existence. I know it can be turned off and I've done that but I'd like to see it tuned to better represent an actual pitchers confidence in his stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone else think Pitch Confidence has always been "broken"?

It's not broken no

Could use dome tuning? Sure. Not close to broken.

If you wanna see some broken code I'll email you my last programming project lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

Yeah pitcher confidence has been like this for years. Like the poster above, I don't believe it's broken but an issue of what metrics affect it. Really balls and strikes shouldn't affect pitcher confidence (unless we are talking wild pitches) only walks, strikeouts, hits, and weak contact.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

I like the concept of having pitch confidence, some days your primary pitch isn't there and you may need to rely on secondary pitches and vise versa. I personally just feel it should be implemented differently. I would like to see pitcher confidence implemented by a combination of the pitch accuracy and result of the pitch (similar to how it is implemented now and what has already been mentioned). If my catcher calls for a pitch out of the zone, it should not negatively effect the pitchers confidence, however if a catcher is consistently having to move his mitt from where the pitch was called for, that should negatively impact the pitcher's confidence in that pitch.

The biggest change that I would like to see is that a pitcher's pitch confidence, should not effect the hitters ability to hit that pitch. I've seen too many times where a pitch is over the plate, is timed up well by the batter, but hits a slow chopper because the pitcher has a high confidence level overall and/or with a specific pitch. A pitcher's confidence should mainly effect the pitcher's accuracy, as well as, pitch movement. JMO. Same concept with the guess pitch option. To me, guess pitch is looking for a fastball and squaring it up when you get a fastball. Not a game-play gimmick that gives you extra power.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotSyphillis
I've always liked the idea of the pitch confidence meter. I just never think it's been implemented properly. It's all based on strikes and balls and hits and outs when that doesn't tell the whole story. If I throw an 0-2 change up in the dirt and my opponent doesn't swing, I shouldn't lose confidence in that pitch. I was trying to throw a ball to set up my next pitch. If I throw a fastball down the middle and it gets crushed 450 feet but barely foul, I shouldn't gain confidence in the pitch. A pitcher knows when he's getting rocked, even for outs, and shouldn't gain confidence giving up ropes that get caught, just like a pitcher wouldn't lose confidence in his stuff if he is getting dinked. But the pitch confidence philosophy has gone unchanged for as long as it's been in existence. I know it can be turned off and I've done that but I'd like to see it tuned to better represent an actual pitchers confidence in his stuff.
I made a thread about this several months ago with an experiment and found it to be a good barometer for individual pitches for a videogame, I thought I wasn't getting the best results until I actually got a good foul hit
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dichotomy.html

A foul ball that was hammered did have an ill effect on the pitchers individual pitch confidence
https://twitter.com/backbreaker1965/...58957773463553
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
MVP

It does have an impact, maybe too much of an impact on attributes. Regarding turning it off I haven't tried this year to turn it off but in past years - manage mode - you could turn it off in the settings but in the game it remained on.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I think it's just a tad overdone.

If my SP is humming along in the 6th, pitching a shutout with a high number of K's, a solo home run shouldn't take 1/3 of his confidence.

.. Now, a reliever giving up a solo shot in the 8th of 9th with a slim lead? That I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
It does have an impact, maybe too much of an impact on attributes. Regarding turning it off I haven't tried this year to turn it off but in past years - manage mode - you could turn it off in the settings but in the game it remained on.
Pitcher confidence can't be turned off. You can turn off the display, but pitcher confidence will still have an impact on the game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »