Home

Has anyone noticed a difference when leaving pitchers to warm up for too long?

This is a discussion on Has anyone noticed a difference when leaving pitchers to warm up for too long? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

sportomatic75's Arena

OVR: 0
Has anyone noticed a difference when leaving pitchers to warm up for too long?

Is there really a negative effect on their performance? I have not really noticed it, plus it takes 3 innings or so before the energy level starts to go down anyway. I usually don't see a performance impact at all. Same thing goes for bringing in a reliever that is cold. Is there a slider that would impact this at all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Has anyone noticed a difference when leaving pitchers to warm up for too long?

I haven't. I let a guy warmup earlier for two and a half innings and he came in and pitched great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Has anyone noticed a difference when leaving pitchers to warm up for too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportomatic75
Is there really a negative effect on their performance? I have not really noticed it, plus it takes 3 innings or so before the energy level starts to go down anyway. I usually don't see a performance impact at all. Same thing goes for bringing in a reliever that is cold. Is there a slider that would impact this at all?

Ive notcied at times if I have had a reliever warming up for a while, when he comes in, his energy isnt completely full.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Rookie

RobbieMacc's Arena

OVR: 1

Warming up a reliever too long will eventually start to take away from their energy. My understanding is this has been in the game for years but for whatever reason I feel like in '17 this happens quicker.

If it's a close game in the 7th, save situation forthcoming, I usually warm-up the setup guy and "stretch and toss" the closer simultaneously. Not sure that it makes a huge difference, maybe I'm just weird and like using the "stretch and toss" option. (Stretch and toss doesn't affect energy, to my knowledge, and gets the pitcher half-way warm)

Last edited by RobbieMacc; 05-04-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Banned

I switch pitchers in QM, so no worries there. or just turn off warm-up relievers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Here is how I go about warming up pitchers.

Once I know I want to make a change the next inning I get them warmed up during the current inning. I check after every batter and once I see they are fully warm I change them to Ready and Waiting.

If I know I might need them...but not sure. I set them to stretch and toss.

If during the next inning I know I want to make a change in the middle of the inning, I change them from Stretch and Toss to Warm Up.

If I need them now and can't wait another batter....I do a mound visit after setting them to warm from Stretch and Toss. I then finish their warm up on the mound (I have warm up relievers set to "On" in my franchise).

The key is always checking your pen when warming up pitchers and making sure you set them to ready and waiting once they are full....are even 3/4 of the way full which is even more prudent. Plus the fact I do the warm up pitches, waiting till 3/4 full is what I typically do to finish their warm up on the mound. But sometimes I forget. So make sure they are not warming up full for too long or they will have reduced energy.

Especially be careful if you are warming up a guy you have used the past few games and they don't have full energy to begin with. This will typically happen in a tight series where you used your set up and closer 2 straight days.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieMacc
Warming up a reliever too long will eventually start to take away from their energy. My understanding is this has been in the game for years but for whatever reason I feel like in '17 this happens quicker.

If it's a close game in the 7th, save situation forthcoming, I usually warm-up the setup guy and "stretch and toss" the closer simultaneously. Not sure that it makes a huge difference, maybe I'm just weird and like using the "stretch and toss" option. (Stretch and toss doesn't affect energy, to my knowledge, and gets the pitcher half-way warm)
Not weird at all. It is smart to use stretch and toss. I do exactly that in the 7th with my set-up guy (warm up) and closer (Stretch and Toss)...just like you. Works great.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Not weird at all. It is smart to use stretch and toss. I do exactly that in the 7th with my set-up guy (warm up) and closer (Stretch and Toss)...just like you. Works great.
I agree. I use stretch and toss all the time. It's definitely not weird.

Times when I use it:

1) When one of my top starters is at the fringe of getting tired, I'll use stretch and toss to get a reliever warm to start an inning. If a guy gets on base then I'll change it to warm up.

2) When the score is tied in the 9th and I'm on the road, I'll use stretch and toss to get two different guys warmed up: My closer and another guy. Depending on if I get anything going that inning will decide who I fully warm up.

3) When my starter is struggling early I'll get my long reliever to stretch and toss just in case things goes south.

There are plenty more times where I use it, I just don't feel like typing them all out. It's a nice option to have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »