Home

Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

This is a discussion on Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergie51
yes and heres how we know: adjusting a pitchers Break & Control per pitch literally does nothing to his overall rating. You can give him a wipeout slider with 99 velocity, Break, & control but if his H/9, K/9, HR/9, BB/9 arent good they will crush that slider.

Makes no sense. I try not to think about it, but basically its like a slot machine and the HR/9, H/9, etc along with the hitters ratings determine the odds or roll of the dice. Makes no sense that a guy could throw a 94mph wipeout slider that falls off the table with pinpoint accuracy and that would have nothing to do with how many Hits, homers, and walks per 9 innings the guy gives up. yet another guy could throw a 79mph slider that he cant control with no break that hangs up there over the plate, and still technically have a 99 rating in H/9, BB/9, HR/9, etc...
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0
Icon8 Re: Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGHerm
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?
well im just saying that there is some ''pre-determination" in your outcome
tat the plate...my bad i didnt mean anything bad by it. I had just realized and been thinking about what i wrote in my previous comment for awhile so when i saw the thread i thought what i was thinking might help with some insight on this topic even though not directly related.

sorry if it came off bad or unhelpful or out of place...was not my intention.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I remember reading the devs mentioning that some attribute ratings (probably something like Contact, Power, Vision, etc.) get only moderate boost/penalty while in hot/cold streak...

That's still different from outcome being scripted. It might cause some "run-away" effects in your performance (you hit poorly, get some attribute penalty, which makes you perform even worse).

No outcome is predetermined in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm pretty sure that pretty much any baseball player that has had a slump feels like they're scripted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Operation Sports mobile app

- Rick Wise
Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
Black Mamba

Shadymamba's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jars
+1. Definitely scripted. In RTTS at least. Peaks and troughs. Ive played enough of this mode to pick this up.

Or at least there is some logic that if you have a poor few games the computer drops your contact and power ratings. Is this confirmed does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes i had about a week of batting .202 over a span and went to my training screen and just about everything had arrows down and the last time i trained was 6 days ago - so the slump sure does have an impact on your ratings
CFB: Oregon Ducks '10

I HATE TO LOSE MORE THAN I LOVE TO WIN
--------------------------------------------------
Twitter: Rileyfcol
PSN: Doc_Hollladay
Instagram:7_wolfe
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

I think the clutch rating in the game is an absolute complete crock of .....Statistically its been proven clutch is a myth. If anything, players overall perform worse than normal in tight situations. Stratomatic baseball base their player outcomes on real statistics and have a model for calculating this, and for almost every player statistics for favourable outcomes lower slightly in 'pressure' moments. Having it in the game skews things and gives it a predetirmined feel when games dont follow the expected course.

Id be interested to know if mlb the show come up with their player ratings on a statistical model or just their own subjective interpretation. I get the feeling its the latter.

Last edited by Hugh Jars; 05-06-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
kac
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat
Last season I was playing a Rockies franchise. For first month and a half or so I was batting 360+, lead the league in HR's, RBI's with Arenado. Next thing I know I couldn't get a hit. Wen't from high 300's to around .150 over the next 2 months. I couldn't do squat. I benched him, moved around the lineup. I eventually got so mad I quit playing all together.
This is happening in my Indians franchise now in 17. I've lost the last 4 games in the 8th and 9th inning with Andrew Miller blowing 3 of the games and Cody Allen blowing one game giving up 2 home runs in the bottom of the ninth and the whole line up has gone into a slump.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jars
I think the clutch rating in the game is an absolute complete crock of .....Statistically its been proven clutch is a myth. If anything, players overall perform worse than normal in tight situations. Stratomatic baseball base their player outcomes on real statistics and have a model for calculating this, and for almost every player statistics for favourable outcomes lower slightly in 'pressure' moments. Having it in the game skews things and gives it a predetirmined feel when games dont follow the expected course.

Id be interested to know if mlb the show come up with their player ratings on a statistical model or just their own subjective interpretation. I get the feeling its the latter.

Clutch hitting is undeniably there. But I think we've been looking at clutch wrong. Some players are better in the clutch than others, so it leads us to believe that they get better. But what actually happens is other players get worse. So to me, instead of bonuses, the should be penalties. A clutch rating of 99 should result in no change to the hitter's abilities and a rating of 50 should result in moderate penalties.

I think in game though, it helps the human players (who aren't so cold blooded in the clutch) cover their own bad clutch play and use clutch guys effectively. Unfortunately this is a two edged sword in that the AI gets that bonus too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Operation Sports mobile app

- Rick Wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »