Home

Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

This is a discussion on Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Anybody else feel like slumps are scripted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jars
I think the clutch rating in the game is an absolute complete crock of .....Statistically its been proven clutch is a myth. If anything, players overall perform worse than normal in tight situations. Stratomatic baseball base their player outcomes on real statistics and have a model for calculating this, and for almost every player statistics for favourable outcomes lower slightly in 'pressure' moments. Having it in the game skews things and gives it a predetirmined feel when games dont follow the expected course.

Id be interested to know if mlb the show come up with their player ratings on a statistical model or just their own subjective interpretation. I get the feeling its the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clutch rating is basically your hitters ability to hit with runners in scoring position. Same for pitchers. I don't think it effects late game scenarios unless their is runners in scoring position but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Nolove626; 05-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 2

I am a MoM player, so my joystick skills (or lack of skills) have been completely removed from the equation. I don't control the batters swings and because of this, I am not chasing bad pitches adding to their poor performances game. I believe I can say "The game is not scripted in terms of how the games are played inning to inning. There is no comeback code or anything like that". However with that said, there does appear to be some sort of logic in the code in regards to when players turn cold and once they are cold, they won't perform the way you want them to perform. If you ignore when your players go cold, it will take them longer to snap out of their cold streaks. They really do need to sit on the bench for 'x' number of innings or games. Now what is the right amount of time to sit a player? That I can not tell you, because each instance appears to be different. I tend to sit my players for 2 games the moment they go cold and more times than not, this seems to be the secret sauce to getting them off their cold snaps. But there is no guarantees. Sometimes it just seems to be random.

Now cold snaps do occur in the real world. But this game seems to artificially just make players all of a sudden go cold. So yeah there likely is some sort of scripting going on behind the scenes despite what I said earlier about the game not being scripted.

Last edited by My993C2; 05-08-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #27
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Real life baseball is scripted, as in its scripted if you play baseball it's scripted you are going to get into a slump. The better you're playing the easier it is to get into one as well.

Now into why they are so hard to get out off on the Show? Well think about what you're doing in a slump as opposed to a hot streak when you're at the plate.

Cold streak: You're thinking about your low/falling avg. Checking it, thinking about how you're 0-2 again already. Stressful thinking = Tense at-bat = Continued bad performance. Continue bad performance which is INDICATED by the cold streak results in declining morale and declining attributes.

Hot Streak: You see your good looking stats you're thinking he's going good okay I'm gonna rip this. You're relaxed, if you make an out it's okay your .avg is still fine and you'll get him next time. Stress-free thinking = Relaxed at-bat = Continued hard hit balls = Good performaces. Continued good performance which is INDICATED by the hot streak, results in increased morale and increased attributes.

Sorry for any typos on the phone.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 05-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Just wish this game had an actual physics based hitting system using a cursor, like PYS. Nothing beats that game. I personally have given up on the show. Its way too scripted for my taste.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »