Home

AI bullpen usage

This is a discussion on AI bullpen usage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: AI bullpen usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
The team is looking into both issues (warm up too long/not setting to ready and waiting and closers being pulled in save situations).

So sit tight.

The closer pull has only happened to me in 2 games out of 75 plus franchise/season mode games played to date.

The warm up issue is every game and might be a simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
You've got some pull on OS.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Has the developers actually acknowledged these issues already and/or are there bug reports?

I don't doubt there will be another patch (or perhaps two), but I am not sure if there was any indication that they are specifically looking into the bullpen issues.

I'm realizing reliever energy exhaustion issue might be a more significant issue than I have tended to think... especially with many setting Manager Hook slider to something low to minimize unrealistic early hooks of starters, that tend to make CPU leave some relievers too long when they have low energy.

I am seeing quite a few blowouts happen this way... when a starter gets pulled early, CPU manager put in a mediocre (long) reliever in to pitch a few innings, potentially exhausting energy. But the game is already wide open so CPU lets the reliever eat some innings anyway, and with confidence/energy pretty much zeroed out he continues to pitch poorly.

So it's kind of a runaway situation.
No acknowledgement of an issue. It is being investigated and looked at.

I have hook on 5 and have basically no issues with early hooks on starters and closers. Like I had said....for me I have only seen it 2 times in over 100 hours of gameplay now.

The team is very receptive and they have responded IMO with updates and fixes to many many legit issues.

For me this game is near damn perfect. And I know it never will be perfect.

I am now playing on quick counts (made the switch after 1.06) and pitch counts look awesome for starters and logic has been sound (and it was sound for me on full counts). I don’t think AI will ever be perfect....but it is really strong for the most part on The Show.

So hopefully if they do find a legit issue with CP being pulled too early and the warm up issue they will get it fixed on the next update.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0
You are right Nomo. I have taken to now set every closer sta. to 50 and I am quick managing every game to replicate better stats.
when I pitch SV situation, I put the difficulty to Veteran and go from there.
I have seen waayyyy to many BSV in QM mode with default sta. for closers (usually 25) and now I handle every situation w/ kid gloves.
Straight sim stats for SV/BSV are quite good.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
No acknowledgement of an issue. It is being investigated and looked at.

I have hook on 5 and have basically no issues with early hooks on starters and closers. Like I had said....for me I have only seen it 2 times in over 100 hours of gameplay now.

The team is very receptive and they have responded IMO with updates and fixes to many many legit issues.

For me this game is near damn perfect. And I know it never will be perfect.

I am now playing on quick counts (made the switch after 1.06) and pitch counts look awesome for starters and logic has been sound (and it was sound for me on full counts). I don’t think AI will ever be perfect....but it is really strong for the most part on The Show.

So hopefully if they do find a legit issue with CP being pulled too early and the warm up issue they will get it fixed on the next update.
I don't doubt at all the sincerity and passion of the developers, some of whom I have had pleasure of interacting face-to-face in the past... if anything that makes it more difficult for me to criticize the game, out of common courtesy.

Given the nature of internet forum as a public dump ground of complaints, I understand that overall negativity is fairly depressing... but for those with constructive feedback, I still think it would be better for us to be totally honest about what we think about the game, rather than worrying too much about how the developers feel.

They'd know how not to respond to bad feedback and I'm sure they have thick enough skin if they care enough to come read a forum like this to begin with... The worst thing that can happen is people not responding because they don't use the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashbuggie
You are right Nomo. I have taken to now set every closer sta. to 50 and I am quick managing every game to replicate better stats.
when I pitch SV situation, I put the difficulty to Veteran and go from there.
I have seen waayyyy to many BSV in QM mode with default sta. for closers (usually 25) and now I handle every situation w/ kid gloves.
Straight sim stats for SV/BSV are quite good.
In posting to this thread, I wasn't actually meaning to complain about specific issues, as I tend to think game logic issues (as opposed to bugs and slight game balance issues) are not something that have high chances of being addressed effectively in a patch... and I think AI issues tend to be logic issues.

I was just curious the developers actually have shown explicit interest in how we have been responding to the new CPU manager implementation on managing pitchers... both good and bad.

Personally, the bullpen management took a step forward in eliminating some glaring issues that had existed for years, but also took a step backward in a sense that the new implementation has introduced new quirkiness by not addressing the underlying issues that have persisted around CPU manager AI. (Without elaboration, I think it comes down to the lack of organic elements... but that's for another discussion.)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Anybody finding success against the Yankees 'pen? Seems like if they can get to the 7th inning with a lead, it's game over. You've got to attack their starters early & often if you want runs on the board.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »