Home

Difference between catchers' movement animations during pitch?

This is a discussion on Difference between catchers' movement animations during pitch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

OVR: 0
Difference between catchers' movement animations during pitch?

Playing as the White Sox, I've noticed Soto moves differently than Narvaez during a pitch. Narvaez moves quickly and holds his glove where it's going to go (very standard-looking), while Soto kind of takes his time moving to the respective side of the plate during the windup, and doesn't really put his glove out until right as the pitch comes out of the pitcher's hand (something more of a veteran would do and looks very similar to his actual style).

Is there different tendencies for different catchers? Or is it based on the pitcher's time to the plate that a different animation will play? Maybe I just happen to use pitchers with slower windups when Soto is catching...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Banned

very interesting, I guess I need to watch closer.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Difference between catchers' movement animations during pitch?

there are, what, 3 catcher setup styles this year? so i guess it could stand to reason the catcher animation movements would wind up looking different between the 3 once the pitcher throws the ball.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

There's definitely a difference in animations. I just played my first game with a catcher I drafted and he always waits until the last possible second to move his glove to catch the pitch. It's not a fluid motion at all, more of just a real quick stab but he has yet to register a passed ball so while it's a bit ugly it works.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
there are, what, 3 catcher setup styles this year? so i guess it could stand to reason the catcher animation movements would wind up looking different between the 3 once the pitcher throws the ball.
Well I only play franchise with one team, and pitch with broadcast, so I only see two catchers catch games, and they're definitely different from one another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8

I haven't noticed this (OP's question), but I am completely frustrated with how SLOW the catchers throw the ball back to the pitcher on balls that are not put in play or fouled off (basically every taken strike or ball). They have to kneel one knee to the ground, slowly raise the ball behind their head, then soft toss it back to the pitcher. This entire animation is completely unnecessary and messes with my rhythm while pitching, and even worse with runners on base.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »