Home

Meter pitching

This is a discussion on Meter pitching within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0
Meter pitching

May as well rename it random pitching. It just throws it wherever it wants, regardless of whether you get the meter right. The input doesn't correspond to the outcome at all.

I've lost count of the number of times I've aimed the ball a good foot below the zone, perfected the meter, only for the game to decide to throw it so it just sits their perfectly at the bottom of the zone asking to be smashed. Or you throw a perfect up and in fast ball, but the computer decides "nah, you wanted that right down the middle". That's before you even get to what happens if you just miss your spot on the meter, when it becomes completely random and you're at the mercy of the computer as to whether missing your spot by a millimetre means that curveball in the dirt might instead be right down the middle.

Don't know what they've done to it as it wasn't like this last year. Last year if you pressed too soon the ball would miss high, too late and it would miss low, this year it just throws it wherever it wants. If you got it right then the ball generally went in the general direction at least of where you aimed.

I know someone will be really helpful and say switch to analog, but why should people be punished for which pitching meter they use? Surely all of them should just work if you do it right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Re: Meter pitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
May as well rename it random pitching. It just throws it wherever it wants, regardless of whether you get the meter right. The input doesn't correspond to the outcome at all.

I've lost count of the number of times I've aimed the ball a good foot below the zone, perfected the meter, only for the game to decide to throw it so it just sits their perfectly at the bottom of the zone asking to be smashed. Or you throw a perfect up and in fast ball, but the computer decides "nah, you wanted that right down the middle". That's before you even get to what happens if you just miss your spot on the meter, when it becomes completely random and you're at the mercy of the computer as to whether missing your spot by a millimetre means that curveball in the dirt might instead be right down the middle.

Don't know what they've done to it as it wasn't like this last year. Last year if you pressed too soon the ball would miss high, too late and it would miss low, this year it just throws it wherever it wants. If you got it right then the ball generally went in the general direction at least of where you aimed.

I know someone will be really helpful and say switch to analog, but why should people be punished for which pitching meter they use? Surely all of them should just work if you do it right?
What pitchers/what's their control rating? I've been pitching on HOF with the Jays, and struggle with Sanchez and Liriano (terrible control), but pitch very well with Acestrada and Stroman (Both of whom have very good control).
Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
What pitchers/what's their control rating? I've been pitching on HOF with the Jays, and struggle with Sanchez and Liriano (terrible control), but pitch very well with Acestrada and Stroman (Both of whom have very good control).
All of them, doesn't seem to matter who I use, just sometimes the game decides to go random. I was under the impression that a pitchers control affected how hard it was to get the meter timing right, now how accurate the ball was thrown after that?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

I've never experienced this. Of course there is some "randomness" due to pitcher ratings, but I've always felt like my command is a lot better when hitting my spots on the meter.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Rookie

duc748s's Arena

OVR: 2

@KGHerm Randomness I can get behind, but if I am aiming low outside (or high/inside) and get hit with a "meatball" down the middle after I nail the meter that is called BS. In these two situations, say I miss the meter, I should either hit the batter on high/inside, or pitch in the dirt/passed ball on low outside (which leads to a stolen base if B Colon is on, but different issue) If i am anywhere in the middle I can accept a meatball, risk/reward

@BigOscar Nahh this happened last year and I complained about it (with a bunch of others, there is a post out there somewhere). Basically it's SNAFU as it is a programed decision to have various meatballs coded in randomly. Why? I guess CPU can't hit anything not meatball? Beats me as it's a Dev decision, but what is the purpose? If I wanted variety in my pitches, that what pulse is for. If I nail the meter it should go where aimed (or general area depending on pitcher - side arm, 3/4, sinker baller, etc.. and stats). It is way worst this year and every time the game decides that it gonna be a meatball I get hammered for a HR. On the plus side I haven't noticed it as much as Day One patch days but I kind of decreased my playing till TS gets more stable so I can't say for sure. But I was getting 5 + meatballs a game and the one or two games I played of RttS in the past 4 weeks, I haven't seen it as much or noticed. But it has soured me from playing RttS, which sucks because that is the main reason I buy and play TS ever year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748s
@KGHerm Randomness I can get behind, but if I am aiming low outside (or high/inside) and get hit with a "meatball" down the middle after I nail the meter that is called BS. In these two situations, say I miss the meter, I should either hit the batter on high/inside, or pitch in the dirt/passed ball on low outside (which leads to a stolen base if B Colon is on, but different issue) If i am anywhere in the middle I can accept a meatball, risk/reward
2 questions for you (3 really, but the last two are almost the same thing):

1) Who was the pitcher? If it was somebody with a low BB/9, you probably fell victim to the psuedo-randomness (I like to call it "error radius") that the game imposes upon pitchers with those ratings. If you've ever played around with Pulse pitching you can probably understand what I'm getting at here. How do you propose that the game accurately reflect that lower stat, if not from what I just described? This game is not all about perfect user inputs (nor should it be IMO) - the realistic stats and outcomes have to come from somewhere.

2 and 3) Regardless of who the pitcher was, what were his confidence levels both overall and for that individual pitch you threw? If one or especially both was low, that error radius I mentioned above increases and you're more likely to throw a fat pitch (or a wild one) even if you were aiming to the corners.

It's happened to me a lot of times myself. But I shrug it off, because it really does work both ways. And you'll understand that if you ever try to aim a pitch far off the plate, but have it end up nipping the corner for a strikeout. It's especially important on HOF and Legend, where the CPU's PCI is enormous and it will not miss your mistakes very often. Pitch cautiously and accept that you might give up some walks. It's better than risking throwing the pitch that you described.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
Banned

I agree it seems more random this year than in 2016. It was very obvious to me when was early or late in the meter last year.

I've since gone to classic interface. Equally random, but I get to watch the pitchers wind up.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

A few weeks ago I pitched the whole game without ever moving the left stick while pitching. I won the game 3-2 and only gave up about 4 or 5 hits. I don't remember exactly.

I tried it the next game with a different pitcher and it was the opposite result. I got lit up. I've pitched almost a whole game with Paxton without touching the left stick because his control rating is low. With Felix I have to aim the pitch. It seems the accuracy of the left stick depends on that pitchers rating. Like others said, just have to gauge it with the pitchers overall confidence at the time and the confidence in that particular pitch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »