Home

A personal opinion on the hittinng in this game

This is a discussion on A personal opinion on the hittinng in this game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #33
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: SDS does not think pro players can hit major league pitching

lmao engine is broken

https://twitter.com/Ramone_Russell/s...41070845792256
Old 05-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Show me the physics that says just late and good can't be treated the same. I've been to tons of games where righties hit screamers foul behind the dugout. I've seen hitters place balls into the gap oppo. If you were penalized for just late on exit velocity you'll never be able to take advantage of the left field gap. I swear the more analysis they give on swings the more this community gripes.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #35
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
Show me the physics that says just late and good can't be treated the same. I've been to tons of games where righties hit screamers foul behind the dugout. I've seen hitters place balls into the gap oppo. If you were penalized for just late on exit velocity you'll never be able to take advantage of the left field gap. I swear the more analysis they give on swings the more this community gripes.
just late in on the hands as more exit velo than good timing swings. Think that is what most are complaining about
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #36
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: A personal opinion on the hittinng in this game

While I am not exactly sure what changed this year in the hitting engine to make more (mostly online) guys to think "just late" timing produces too many quality hits...

... but one factor that leads the disconnect between the swing feedback and what actually happens is that the timing label just early/good/just late doesn't necessarily correlate with the quality of timing itself, meaning "good" isn't necessarily the optimal timing for producing the best quality hits, depending on factors like pitch and PCI location, etc.

As far back as I remember (MLB 10 in my case) it's always been that the optimal timing for "pull", give or take, is slightly early, and optimal timing for going the other way is slightly late. It is probably unfortunate that there is this "good" timing, which to many suggest that's the optimal swing timing, which isn't in those cases.

Just like the those "where's my PCI!?" debates which used to happen often with Timing hitting with full swing feedback with PCI location, much of this "center green/yellow" whatever that has come up might be due to the "misnomer" caused by potentially poor choice for timing labels.

(Or people might stop complaining if the Show stops showing swing feedback at all?)
Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #37
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Wow.

This game is a mess.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #38
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
While I am not exactly sure what changed this year in the hitting engine to make more (mostly online) guys to think "just late" timing produces too many quality hits...

... but one factor that leads the disconnect between the swing feedback and what actually happens is that the timing label just early/good/just late doesn't necessarily correlate with the quality of timing itself, meaning "good" isn't necessarily the optimal timing for producing the best quality hits, depending on factors like pitch and PCI location, etc.

As far back as I remember (MLB 10 in my case) it's always been that the optimal timing for "pull", give or take, is slightly early, and optimal timing for going the other way is slightly late. It is probably unfortunate that there is this "good" timing, which to many suggest that's the optimal swing timing, which isn't in those cases.

Just like the those "where's my PCI!?" debates which used to happen often with Timing hitting with full swing feedback with PCI location, much of this "center green/yellow" whatever that has come up might be due to the "misnomer" caused by potentially poor choice for timing labels.

(Or people might stop complaining if the Show stops showing swing feedback at all?)
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I think the hitting engine is just perfectly fine. But SDS has done themselves no favors.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #39
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I think the hitting engine is just perfectly fine. But SDS has done themselves no favors.

So you think a a curveball on your hands should have the same exit velocity and travel distance regularly (not just occasionally) with 'just late' or 'late' timing as if you were to square it up?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #40
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
So you think a a curveball on your hands should have the same exit velocity and travel distance regularly (not just occasionally) with 'just late' or 'late' timing as if you were to square it up?
No I don't

And I'm glad I don't expierence that either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »