Home

Back to last years ball physics

This is a discussion on Back to last years ball physics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Confirmed: Back to last years ball physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh123
Played a few games and watch replays for quite a many hits. Just like last year once the ball hits the ground the spin changes to end over end in a straight line. Hits just roll straight up the line instead of continuing to curve into foul ground like they did pre patch. Waited till May for rosters to come out and got to play for two weeks before everything was ruined. Last time buying this game.
I think this observation is incorrect...

Having mentioned the "slicing down the line" issue before this year (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ill-lacks.html), it was one of the first thing I checked when I got the game.

As far as the ball spin after the first contact with the ground, it was actually like that (the first contact with a surface removes the side component of the spin from the ball) even before the first patch which fixed the most glaring of the ball physics issues upon release.

The difference is that with the pre-patch game, the effect of the spin of batted ball was way too exaggerated in general, so the slicing of ball *in flight* was very visible, so much of slicing (to the extent it was never possible in MLB 16) the ball could do it while it's still in the air. But after it hit the ground, it still rolled in a straight line like it did in MLB 16. Basically that gave us an impression that the ball actually sliced away from the foul line, even though technically it wasn't on a curved path right after the initial contact with the ground. (In that sense, the new ball physics in MLB 17 is still not getting the physics of contact with a surface quite correct.)

Initially, I also thought the ball physics was reverted to MLB 16 when the first patch came out... but I think that impression was wrong, and the ball physics actually is for the most part still the same before and after that patch. I still see new hit types that I didn't see in MLB 16.

The major (I mean really big) difference that the first patch introduced was that it really nerfed the effect of the spin in general (or spin itself was nerfed), so whatever ball physics that was exaggerated upon release (like moonshot HRs with very long hang time and ball slicing down the line like crazy... both are caused by the same physical effect -- the Magnus effect), it was generally toned down... But they are still there, it's now just slightly harder to see because it's not exaggerated like it was upon release.

My point is that the ball physics did not revert to MLB 16.

Last edited by nomo17k; 06-02-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

This has not been confirmed. And until someone from SDS does confirm this I am changing the thread title.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #19
Rookie

Cory4AU's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Back to last years ball physics

Something is definitely different with the physics. I was skeptical at first but just go into batting practice and watch the ball flights. I haven't seen a base hit ground ball curve down the line into foul territory in at least 20 games. Probably more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #20
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
And to one guy who questioned the original poster 'why do you continue to play', what a lame thing to say. It's the only baseball game out there, what else is he supposed to play?
Ummmm...I clarified in my post to him, but in an effort to not make you re-read the post, I suggested playing an earlier version of the game that he enjoyed or another game entirely.

And its not the only baseball game out there. There is Super Mega Baseball, RBI Baseball, all the previous 2K baseball games, and all the previous MLB The Show games. No one is forced to play '17.

Saying "its the only baseball game out there" is a cop out excuse to justify one's constant complaining.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashbuggie
so, the ball physics have really changed ? well, .... I have the digital copy so I assume I am forced to download every patch, even though I never play online. should I get the disc version if I want the old ball physics back ? not sure I even need the patches .... Thanks
If you are of the belief that the patches changed the ball physics and want to go back to the gameplay prior to the patches, then yes you'll need to buy the disc version of the game. Then you'll have to turn off updates/disconnect from the internet while playing so the game doesn't automatically download/install the patches.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #22
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoid1313
100% hitting and ball physics have changed, I had the game before release date and I was floored by the ball physics. U can read my impressions where I said the ball physics alone were worth the purchase so I totally understand those who are frustrated and disappointed by this

Glad to see Im not the only one thinking that ball physics has changed since the patches came out, and not in a good way. I felt just like you when this game 1st came out, the ball physics and hitting were amazing, best it had ever been with this game.

Typically over the years once these devs start patching issues, the game improves, this yr for whatever reason, the patches seem to have somewhat ruined hitting for me.

I hate to complain, because these devs have been so good to us over the years with getting patches out quick and improving the game. plus the patches did fix a lot of issues, but the hitting and ball physics went from being the best its ever been, back to what it use to be a few years ago.

I dont know if they can or if they will try to get the hitting and ball physics back to where it was before the patches came out, but I hope they can and will get it back closer to where it was on day1.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
This has not been confirmed. And until someone from SDS does confirm this I am changing the thread title.
All you have to do is study the ball spin on replays. Do you think they will actually come here and admit they messed it up?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #24
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm still seeing the ball slice down the line. I skipped 16, so did the ball even slice at all last year?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »