Home

Was SDS right all along? 2017 is on pace to have the most total home runs by far

This is a discussion on Was SDS right all along? 2017 is on pace to have the most total home runs by far within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Was SDS right all along? 2017 is on pace to have the most total home runs by far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

3 months to go, I still expect that 1.27 to decrease to closer to last years 1.17
I say this with all due respect but based on what, exactly? Arlington is about to hit 100 every day, Toronto's roof is going to be open lots now (and the ball screams out when it is), Atlanta has lots more home games the rest of the year and the ball flies out there. If anything, I'd expect it to increase even further.

That being said, Cubs sent down Schwarber today so perhaps not.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Was SDS right all along? 2017 is on pace to have the most total home runs by far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont think it was a risky move for SDS to kick power up a notch for 17. Like bc says, it was the HR distances that needed tweaked. 2016 barely missed out on passing the 2000 season as the benchmark for homers:

2017 ~ 1.27 HR Per Game

2000 ~ 1.17 HRPG

2016 ~ 1.16 HRPG

1999 ~ 1.14 HRPG

3 months to go, I still expect that 1.27 to decrease to closer to last years 1.17

still, its crazy to think 2014 only averaged .86 HRPG

such a wild swing from one end to the other, there has to be some external factor at play here.

has anyone bothered to count and make sure there are still 216 stitches in the ball lol

There are 108 stitches on a baseball ;-)

The seems are flatter though; this has been pointed out by more than one player. Flatter seems mean the ball flys further. There was a study done that showed that ever since the All Star break 2015, the ball was flying 7.1 feet further at the same launch angle and exit velocity.

There is also the launch angle argument which is supported by the increase in strikeouts. This has seemed obvious to me for a while now. Players are trying to hit HR more now than ever before.

Both are contributing to more home runs being hit by non-power hitters... so your 10-15 hr guys, their warning track shots have turned into home runs. This is where the increase is coming from, not from guys like Bryce Harper. His home run count wouldn't have gone up because most of his HR are well over the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatArmy
I say this with all due respect but based on what, exactly? Arlington is about to hit 100 every day, Toronto's roof is going to be open lots now (and the ball screams out when it is), Atlanta has lots more home games the rest of the year and the ball flies out there. If anything, I'd expect it to increase even further.

That being said, Cubs sent down Schwarber today so perhaps not.

I think it has to do with the fact that outside of 2015, homeruns per game numbers traditionally drop in the second half of the season. Most likely reason is because players are starting to get tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »