Home

Funny thing just dawned on me

This is a discussion on Funny thing just dawned on me within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Funny thing just dawned on me

Whenever I play franchise modes in sports games I like to recreate standout fictional players from previous games, and they often crossover to different sports.

Well something just dawned on me and I'm embarrassed to admit I never realized it before. One of my fictional players that I recycle is actually a real life player -- Adam Jones of the Orioles.

I always create him as a CF with secondaries of 2b/SS for the Mariners. He is a prototypical lead off hitter with a solid glove, but not much power.

I always create him on the Mariners because his "origin" is that of a Mariners outfielder. Many many years ago I was several years deep into a franchise and they had an outfielder by that name who was a damn good lead off hitter and gave me fits in the playoffs. So much so that in future games I recreated him.

Well today I was looking at my Os roster planning moves. I was specifically looking at what the secondary positions were for each player. I came across Adam Jones and for whatever reason I remembered the year we traded Eric Bedard for him, and how back then he was a prospect and his secondary position was 2b. That is when it hit me, fake Adam Jones was actually real life Adam Jones. I don't know if Adam was in that game because he had already made his major league debut the previous year or I downloaded some kind of roster file, but my fake player was not actually fake.

I can't believe I never realized it before, but anyway just wanted to share that. Still creating another Adam Jones for the Mariners though, too much tradition in it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Funny thing just dawned on me

When Jones first came up in Seattle, I thought he was Pacman from West Virginia and the Titans. And incidentally, the Orioles Jones has a teammate in Chris Davis that I'm torn up about over having pilfered him from Baltimore because whenever I use him in the Show, he brings back bad memories of the Kick-Six Iron Bowl.
It kinda grinds my gears when players across different sports share the same name, but in a good way.

A Work in Progress
Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Funny thing just dawned on me

Yeah the common name is why I just thought it was a computer generated player back when I encountered him in that deep franchise run.

Another funny thing about recycling CAPs, I use the name and appearance "Sean Hassan." Usually a black guy with cornrows or a fade. I'm pretty sure he is actually Steve Blake.

Back in EA's March Madness when Blake was a freshmen they had him as a black guy that could dunk over everyone. Sean Hassan was the name it generated for him, and I had such success with him it stuck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »