Home

3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is!

This is a discussion on 3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #9
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 3 samples of just how dumb the CPU AI decision making is!

I do agree whats been said here and I myself with a good friend played tons of games against each other not just vs CPU and we used to call it BASE RUNNING BLUNDERS...LOL

I agree something needs to change for how they run the bases, the A.I. needs to improve but I remember in the many streams they had and how they were so happy with the A.I. for this year they said it would be just like playing another real person.

They talk a lot about making it like a real batter hits and what they see, why not take that same direction on other areas of the game like base running? I am no programmer and not sure how hard it would be , but if they could think like a real base ball player on the bases and implant that into the game or watch actual MLB footage from 2017 season and give these players real life base running tendencies how they actually played this year or something.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
Unfortunately there are one or two legacy issues with base running that for whatever reason have not been fully fixed by the devs.

The over aggressiveness by the CPU or the by the user when playing with auto base running is a real killer for me. The amount of times players get caught trying to take extra bases, when they have no right to try or in a situation that doesn't make sense is unbelievable.

This has been going on for a few years now and I'm sure it started when they replaced the base running ability attribute with stealing instead. Whether there used to be a relationship between BR ability and BR agg that has now changed for the worse with the move to a stealing attribute, I don't know.

Cody Bellinger caught out - also shows some dodgy fielding!!

More dodgy base running and the pitcher still getting hit too often!!

Then there's the drunken base running that first appeared last year!!

Got to agree! Can't deny the video! Base running is a fundamental of Baseball and is long overdue in the game. It would be nice to see several different AI Packages for running the bases and making base running decions. Not sure what development effort it would take but its highly needed especially this late in the games series (17)

The bas running agressive slider shows little effect. Especially when every CPU player takes of running at a ball in the dirt unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Got to agree! Can't deny the video! Base running is a fundamental of Baseball and is long overdue in the game. It would be nice to see several different AI Packages for running the bases and making base running decions. Not sure what development effort it would take but its highly needed especially this late in the games series (17)

The bas running agressive slider shows little effect. Especially when every CPU player takes of running at a ball in the dirt unfortunately.
Agreed, the drunk base running been there a couple years especially in a online franchise, almost every time a guys on first they run way out like there warping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #12
Banned

Some baserunning decisions look pretty ridiculous in hindsight, but I think people might underestimate how many outs a team actually makes on the basepaths over the course of a season. I feel like the devs are trying to inflate the number of times this actually does happen with stupid base running decisions and pickoff moves and mind boggling steal attempts, because teams otherwise wouldnt be making a realistic amount of those outs.

In short, bad execution, but with MLB averages in mind.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Lets not forget about the AI allowing their starting pitcher hit then you see a reliever come in the next inning
Probably because half the AI teams have 14 pitchers, some 15 with a backup catcher and/or 1 first baseman. Ridiculous.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
MVP

If it's not game breaking I ain't concerned. It's a game and it will be prone to mistakes. It's harmless in my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »