Home

Body Type Affects Overall Rating?

This is a discussion on Body Type Affects Overall Rating? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Body Type Affects Overall Rating?

Not sure why or how they figure body type into the equation of a players overall but they do.

I noticed when i accidentally changed john smoltz from normal to buff and his ovr went from 88 to 90.

As a whole this game is just too arbitrary and random to me. I don't feel like I "control" the outcomes of what happens on the field. Its all like a big nest of attributes and sliders and patches and dice rolls and waist sizes and more patches and overreactions and forum complaints and timing issues and online players crying complaints and more patches...

Throw me a meat pitch on my mobile app game, and if i time it right and place the bat cursor at the perfect spot im gonna crush it. If you throw me that same exact meat pitch with that same exact pitcher and i time it perfect and place The bat cursor just perfect I'm going to crush it again.

Not so with mlb the show. One might get crushed and the other one will probably get popped up. Or fouled. Or even missed entirely. Just draw a result out of a hat each time.

Yea i get real life argument. This is NOT real life. No matter how hard you try to make this real life or wish it was your real life, i mean wish it was real life, it is not.

It is nice/satisfying to jump on a fastball and yank it for a homerun. It was also nice/satisfying to be fooled on a changeup and whiff badly. It is not nice/satisfying to time and jump on a hanging curveball and foul it back or miss it. If that is satisfying to you then why don't you go to team select, put your controller in the middle, and watch the game?

The difficulty should come from actually trying to duplicate being perfect considering the various pitches and speeds and locations as well as pitchers delivery type effecting your ability to pick up on the pitch, not from the cpu already deciding beforehand what the most likely outcomes will be with pitcher A facing hitter B and giving the user like a 3% chance of effecting this predetermined outcome (or whatever the actual % is).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Shergie51; 07-23-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: Body Type Affects Overall Rating?

You can use sliders to make the game more arcade like. Increasing solid hits will reward good inputs more, and reducing foul frequency and timing will punish bad inputs more.

Just an FYI... we all have our own preference on how we like to play the game. Personally I'm a sim/arcade hybrid kind of guy.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergie51
Not sure why or how they figure body type into the equation of a players overall but they do.

I noticed when i accidentally changed john smoltz from normal to buff and his ovr went from 88 to 90
this is interesting but I havent been able to duplicate it. I'll keep searching through random players.

Quote:
It is nice/satisfying to jump on a fastball and yank it for a homerun. It was also nice/satisfying to be fooled on a changeup and whiff badly. It is not nice/satisfying to time and jump on a hanging curveball and foul it back or miss it. If that is satisfying to you then why don't you go to team select, put your controller in the middle, and watch the game?
I dont think the satisfaction comes in the actual fouling or missing of a pitch, but from when you straighten one out for a hit. which you cant do if the controller isnt in your hands.

A Work in Progress
Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I like how this starts out as a topic on body types changing ratings to a full blown rant about how the game plays.

The OP went off topic of his own thread in the very first post!!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Pro

Was this a carry-over franchise/season file from a previous version?

If so, that might explain the change. I don't think the game updates a player's overall rating until you edit him in some way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Rookie

gp005's Arena

Quote:

I noticed when i accidentally changed john smoltz from normal to buff and his ovr went from 88 to 90.

As a whole this game is just too arbitrary and random to me. I don't feel like I "control" the outcomes of what happens on the field. Its all like a big nest of attributes and sliders and patches and dice rolls and waist sizes and more patches and overreactions and forum complaints and timing issues and online players crying complaints and more patches...

Throw me a meat pitch on my mobile app game, and if i time it right and place the bat cursor at the perfect spot im gonna crush it. If you throw me that same exact meat pitch with that same exact pitcher and i time it perfect and place The bat cursor just perfect I'm going to crush it again.

Not so with mlb the show. One might get crushed and the other one will probably get popped up. Or fouled. Or even missed entirely. Just draw a result out of a hat each time.

Yea i get real life argument. This is NOT real life. No matter how hard you try to make this real life or wish it was your real life, i mean wish it was real life, it is not.

The difficulty should come from actually trying to duplicate being perfect considering the various pitches and speeds and locations as well as pitchers delivery type effecting your ability to pick up on the pitch, not from the cpu already deciding beforehand what the most likely outcomes will be with pitcher A facing hitter B and giving the user like a 3% chance of effecting this predetermined outcome (or whatever the actual % is).

i dont know if i can agree with you... ive seen plenty "meat pitches" to major league players get a popped up... a great player is one who fails 7 times out of 10

if every meat pitch was a home run then we'd be complaining about too many balls crushed... in my opinion this game simulates reality to its best version thus far and aside some glitches (animation )is the best version of the show

however, as for body types..i think that you changing Smoltz body type only brought his rating back to normal.. there may have been some moral issue bringing him down.. almost like a reset i think
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Overalls are different on different screens for some reason. That's what is the likely explanation.

Changing body type doesn't affect overall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by underdog13; 07-24-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
this is interesting but I havent been able to duplicate it. I'll keep searching through random players.

I dont think the satisfaction comes in the actual fouling or missing of a pitch, but from when you straighten one out for a hit. which you cant do if the controller isnt in your hands.

Really? I was using the roster "2007-25man" sorry i forget the name of who put the roster out there but whoever you are you did an awesome job because it's it's a full accurate 90-man roster. I just dowmloaded it and went to edit rosters.

Also, i agree with with that too, i was just giving an example. Also i was being sarcastic at ghe end.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »