Home

'18 MUST upgrades - between pitch animations

This is a discussion on '18 MUST upgrades - between pitch animations within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2017, 12:58 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: '18 MUST upgrades - between pitch animations

If they could capture the magic for certain individual marquee players like they did with Ryan Howard's walk-up and between pitch animations in The Show 11... The Show 18 would feel so much more alive and a lot of people probably wouldn't even skip batter animation sequences for the most part.

Wish I could find an example video showing Howard's full at bat motions.. a lot were cut out in future iterations of "The Show" beyond 11.

Regardless, I really feel that 18 is going to impress on numerous levels when it comes to animations. But we shall see and probably won't be able to judge this aspect until preview videos closer to release day, as it seems quite a bit is integrated towards the end of development.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:16 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I will respectively and whole heartedly disgaree.

I have played all the other sports games and the only one that is ahead of them in terms of immersion/presentation is NBA 2K18

Madden and NHL? Come on.

Same game as PS3? Absolutely not.

The ball physics are a total game changer.

Agree to disagree.

And I don’t sugar coat and stroke these guys egos. I have had meaningful and constructive discussions with devs from SDS.

They are not perfect nor is their game.

It replicates their respective sport better than any other sports game on the market IMO.

And if you are not using Sounds of The Show you are missing out on a major immersion feature that makes playing franchise mode amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Perhaps I'm playing a different game than you, but the ball physics in this game are absolutely insulting. They tried to tackle real ball physics and failed miserably. How do you ask? Let me start.

1. Home run balls that curve foul at the very last second by 2 inches. Happens at least once or twice every single game.

2. Cursor clearly over the ball. Line drive hit into gap. A literal impossibility.

3. Ground ball hits pitcher. Carroms directly to a fielder. If the batted ball hits the pitcher, it's an out 95% of the time.

4. In the previews of this game, they constantly showed ground balls down the line hooking down the line resulting in more doubles. Has this come to fruition? Not at all. At this point, after the 12+ patches, I see almost no ground balls down the line that hook and they're almost EXCLUSIVELY singles.

5. Outfielders continue to not even put their gloves up on some fly balls and others they simply run right by them without even getting their glove on the ball. Not sure if this is a physics issue or simply a horribly poor animation issue.

6. Rocket Bunts. We all know what I'm talking about. Clearly a ball physics issue. Enough said.

7. The cpu bunting perfectly every single time they need a squeeze. Every. Single. Time.

8. Line drives literally going right through the sternum of fielders. Literally right through the sternum. Happened to me today. Line drive right to first basemen. Wish I kept the replay. Ball literally went directly through my first basemens heart.

9. Pop-ups. Way too many pop-ups. A clear ball physics issue.

10. Does my shortstop and second basemen really need to short hop 50% of their throws to first on routine ground balls?

I can literally name 100 more issues with this game with EASE. The ball physics in this year's game are simply awful. A cylindrical piece of wood hitting a spherical rawhide orb is not even CLOSE to the ball physics in this game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #35
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

We are absolutely playing a different game.

The rocket bunts BTW are not ball physics related at all. It was a over compensated fix to online bunting cheese. I wish they would have not revered to it either. And that is an issue when you have a growing and loud online crowd of players winning at all costs and playing cheesey baseball.

And BTW I have been able to lay down great bunts....just not at the rate of "every time" like in past versions of the game. Bunting is a very hard and low percentage proposition. In previous games it was practically automatic.

I have numerous....countless corner down the line doubles this year. In fact CPU OF do not play balls perfectly off the wall anymore. They make human mistakes in reading the ball.

Again....game is not perfect. It is a video game. But I have had incredible simulation like results in my franchises/season replays using my settings and approach.

There are some area’s that need some tuning and to be cleaned up.....just like every year of every sports game I have ever played.

I can’t speak for others.....only myself. So again I will respectively agree to disagree.

Looking forward 18 and seeing continued improvement of the ball physics. Because for me 17 hands down had the greatest hitting variety I have ever seen on a video game of baseball. I have poured more hours into offline franchise on 17 than any version before it. I can’t stop playing this game.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-30-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
Banned

a bit outside's Arena

I have been coming to the forums for a few years and I have never seen the wide variety of different opinions on this game like I have this year.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the many options available to us on the gameplay itself ?

Myself, I am really enjoying the game.....is it perfect, no. But it has really been one of their better offerings in my opinion.

I agree with Pad on a thing or two, the homerun just hooking foul.....I just think that is the game of baseball and it doesn’t really bother me at all. I do agree that it seems like when you hit one back up the middle....it seems to hit the pitcher a little to often and deflects right to an infielder, but this seems to have been toned down some from the 16 version.....but still needs to be toned down some more.

The passed ball issue and AI decisions is probably my biggest gripe with the game.....but 16 had it’s annoying issues too.....the track star catcher running down the hitter out of the box.

So with that being said, I don’t see the fielding issues....I use full auto on fielding as opposed to manual or assisted, timing only at the plate, auto base running and HOF difficulty across the board. These problems probably exist but my theory is because of the many user options available to us, some of us do not see these issues and thus the varying opinions on the game.

As for me, other than a few minor issues, I have really enjoyed playing 17 and looking forward to seeing what is served up in 18.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #37
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bit outside
I have been coming to the forums for a few years and I have never seen the wide variety of different opinions on this game like I have this year.
When you dissect this years game there are quite a few successes in 17. As a whole though the on field experience is not as seamless as past versions and tends to feel disjointed at times. Depending on what people qualify as a good experience is probably a reason for the diversity.

Last edited by nemesis04; 12-30-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #38
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
Perhaps I'm playing a different game than you, but the ball physics in this game are absolutely insulting. They tried to tackle real ball physics and failed miserably. How do you ask? Let me start.

1. Home run balls that curve foul at the very last second by 2 inches. Happens at least once or twice every single game.

2. Cursor clearly over the ball. Line drive hit into gap. A literal impossibility.

3. Ground ball hits pitcher. Carroms directly to a fielder. If the batted ball hits the pitcher, it's an out 95% of the time.

4. In the previews of this game, they constantly showed ground balls down the line hooking down the line resulting in more doubles. Has this come to fruition? Not at all. At this point, after the 12+ patches, I see almost no ground balls down the line that hook and they're almost EXCLUSIVELY singles.

5. Outfielders continue to not even put their gloves up on some fly balls and others they simply run right by them without even getting their glove on the ball. Not sure if this is a physics issue or simply a horribly poor animation issue.

6. Rocket Bunts. We all know what I'm talking about. Clearly a ball physics issue. Enough said.

7. The cpu bunting perfectly every single time they need a squeeze. Every. Single. Time.

8. Line drives literally going right through the sternum of fielders. Literally right through the sternum. Happened to me today. Line drive right to first basemen. Wish I kept the replay. Ball literally went directly through my first basemens heart.

9. Pop-ups. Way too many pop-ups. A clear ball physics issue.

10. Does my shortstop and second basemen really need to short hop 50% of their throws to first on routine ground balls?

I can literally name 100 more issues with this game with EASE. The ball physics in this year's game are simply awful. A cylindrical piece of wood hitting a spherical rawhide orb is not even CLOSE to the ball physics in this game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have to agree with the hits hitting the pitcher (however I have not seen it happen as much in this years game) and the ball bouncing off. That still is annoying. However, as I said, it is a whole lot less then in previous years, or maybe I just hit the ball differently. Bunts also can be frustrating, but I (personally) love that it isnt a automatic.
For squeeze bunts, I cant comment on that, as I have been able to stop the AI. On that, it is actually cheesy how you have to stop it, and I hate you have to do it that way. There is no in between. Its either 100% executed, or its 100% blown.
If I were to gripe about anything about this game, (and I dont think it really is ball physics either) it would be the way the game determines pitches in the dirt to passed balls to wild pitches. If they could clean that up and fix how players advance, this would be a golden game in my eyes.

As for everything else, I have to agree with Armor 100%. This game is so much fun this year, that I literally have not played anything else. Now I only play offline and dont care about online play, or what happens online or how gameplay is online. Sorry online, is just cheesy to me. No one plays baseball, they all play "how to exploit a win" and to me that is no fun, so therefore I stay away and enjoy my offline.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #39
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
'18 MUST upgrades - between pitch animations

Lol

I played back to back games in ‘16 and saw the “rocket”bunts. Both resulted in double plays against me in crucial situations

I don’t recall ever seeing them until now, after the discussion about them in ‘17

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #40
Pro

In regards to the between pitch animations and immersion animations in general.

Definitely could use some upgrading here! But above anything else if there are high five interaction (human/AI) animation for key baseball events (crossing the plate mainly) other than hitting a home run! In MLB 18 I will give someone a bitcoin!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »