Home

A Defensive RANGE attribute would be brilliant.

This is a discussion on A Defensive RANGE attribute would be brilliant. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: A Defensive RANGE attribute would be brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom less13
You haven't watched the Mets play the past decade, have you?
and then when you throw in guys like Keith Hernandez and John Olerud to boot...

A Work in Progress
Old 12-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

I wouldn't suggest putting the fielding ability under 30. Below 30 they pauses before making throws. Even dive plays the would wait till they get up and get to their full throwing stance before they finally thrown the ball. Reaction and speed is basically the closest you can get to range.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think currently the idea is to let Running Speed and Reaction attributes to cover the fielding range. For outfielders, both are important but Speed would matter more due to the sheer amount of ground coverage they need, but for infielders Reaction matters more since they usually don't run an extended distance to get to the ball.

Since I don't think the developers are so inclined to totally overhaul the current player attribute system (too much have been invested, and now that online modes are totally dependent on it), it's more likely that improvement on fielding range gets implemented as some sort of extension to the current system.

What could that be? I have no idea, but other than adjusting fielder reaction and route to the ball (and certain animations that only trigger for better fielders), I am not sure what the game can do to improve the system.

But I do agree that the difference in fielding range among players, especially for infielders, is not very well executed right now. I don't see a whole a lot of differences showing up in stats like range factors among players right now.
...and glad to see you're back Nomo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

Hard to say brilliant for something that was implemented and standard over a decade ago. Necessary is the better word.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Range, spectacular play and errors?

I'd love to see a bigger difference between gold glovers and liabilities in the field

Sent from my SM-G900V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Fielding ratings are too broad to really show diversity in the different positions. Each position requires a different skill set and each of those skills need to be rated in order to emulate the player's ability properly. For example with 1b, one of the most important skills is the ability to scoop and would like to see ratings for the following categories under a 1b:

Scoop ability
Hands: basically an error rating
Range toward second base
Diving ability
Ability to field the bunt
Ability to catch a foul ball:
-in front of
-over the shoulder
Speed:
In the field
On the base path
Situational awareness rating: (Basically baseball IQ in baseball specific scenarios. Would be something good for the CPU fielders not being so perfect all the time.)

Building that type of breakdown based on position would really go a long way to adding diversity.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Fielding ratings are too broad to really show diversity in the different positions. Each position requires a different skill set and each of those skills need to be rated in order to emulate the player's ability properly. For example with 1b, one of the most important skills is the ability to scoop and would like to see ratings for the following categories under a 1b:

Scoop ability
Hands: basically an error rating
Range toward second base
Diving ability
Ability to field the bunt
Ability to catch a foul ball:
-in front of
-over the shoulder
Speed:
In the field
On the base path
Situational awareness rating: (Basically baseball IQ in baseball specific scenarios. Would be something good for the CPU fielders not being so perfect all the time.)

Building that type of breakdown based on position would really go a long way to adding diversity.
Love this post, and this has been my thinking on this as well. I hope they go the NBA 2K route with tendencies and attributes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
Rookie

Defense needs an overhaul but so does hitting so :shrugs:

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »